Search the forum,

Discuss Plumber has Covered Copper & Steel pipes in Cement, issues later? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scorps79

My plumber has covered up some of
the hot water pipes running under the
floor with cement instead of just fitting
the original floorboards back. please
see the photo.

The original hot water pipes are steel
and were unlagged also present are
unlagged copper pipes.

Should I ask him to dig up the cement?
I am not sure what to do but have heard
copper reacts with the cement. I believe
he did this because he could not fit the
floorboards back level as they were ...

RIMG21598.JPG

[DLMURL]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/h5zbGGrUFss2lSUhzKuNl0UzVp4YRYw8fFU1XXZgyNQ?feat=directlink[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
that looks horrible.
Where is it located? Did he ask you before doing what he did? He cannot just choose a different method of ''making good'' the area without first consulting you and getting your approval.

Will just crack and will also cause damp in the floor timbers. Call local building inspector you've employed a half whit. Pipes must also be lagged. Part L building regs - conservation of fuel and power

time for a new plumber, if that was my house his bum would be kicked across the room a few times before it got to the front door. He may think thats one way round solving cutting through all the joists, but all you have now is weakened joists and a floor that will rot out in years to come.

Wowsers what a dogs dinner. What on earth did he think he was avhieving with that. That is not the work of a plumber. He may be calling himself that but thats not what he is.

this is just disgusting. why would somebody do that? get plumber back to remove concrete and then get new plumber

Thank you all for the replies.

I will definitely be asking him not to return again ...

But, I do need to get the cement removed, any idea
how this can be done, can I remove it by hand because
the pipes are so close to the surface there are 2 hot water
pipes and 1 old gas pipe there too.
Or can a machine be used?

Also do you think the cement may have had a chance to
react with the unlagged copper and steel pipes, shall I get
them replaced? because I really want to avoid having
another leak now or later from these pipes.

i would replace the pipes as a matter of course and then you have no future worries and dont need to worry about damaging them when removing.

Over time the concrete will eat away at the copper pipe and cause leaks. If you have paid the guy then you should get him back, if you havn't paid him then you should refuse to and get in an experienced plumber to put it right.

I would replace the pipework even if it looks ok, also, if you are replacing the pipes then you can drain down and not have to worry about being careful when you remove the concrete.

If this is on the ground floor unless a D.P.C has been laid you will have the possibility of the damp proof course being bridged, this as previously stated will give rise to damp being drawn up and into the plate and joists and adjoining floor bards .
If traditional floor boards could not be refitted a single board of a wider material such as PLY wood could have been used if this gave a rise in cost you should have been consulted, but any good trades man would have foreseen this or just done it and accepted the small cost involved as a happy customer is much better and a recommendation is worth a lot more than a thousand leaflets delivered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber has Covered Copper & Steel pipes in Cement, issues later? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock