Search the forum,

Discuss Please start using appropriate fixings in walls, pass the word. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sharp Point

Evening all, I have to post this and get it off my chest. Recently I seem to be doing a great deal of unvented hot water cylinders and working in higher end properties with them already installed. About 1 in 4 expansion vessels are inappropriately secured to the wall i.e... plasterboard fixings in plasterboard, 1.5" 8's screws in render/ plaster or 2" 10's in dot and dab. When the membrane finally fails and fills a 24 litre vessel with water the weight is nigh on a bag of cement and if it pulls out and connect via a flexi or 15mm pipe, there's going to be a flippin travesty......and yes I've seen the aftermath of a split flexi from a fallen vessel.

so come on people( you know who you are)use your noggin, either screw and glue a piece of 18mm ply on a plasterboard wall or into noggins/ uprights and secure into that and use 4"x 10's screws at least through dot and dab into masonry, so goes for into render/ brick.

keep smiling.

as a matter of fact it should be part of the benchmark.

Many years ago I worked for Kingspan , I have seen plenty come off the wall, any new unvented I go to now has a great lump ply glued and screwed to the wall.

A great improvement made by certain ex vessel manufacturers now has to be the bracket welded to the vessel , rather than the stainless jub clip .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please start using appropriate fixings in walls, pass the word. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Admins: Apologies: Can you please change post title to "Part 2" This post just for interest/comment so please only read if you have spare time. Following on from my Part 1: Loo Cold Feed and Overflow Rework / Dot Dab Drywall (Part 1) With all your help in the training (and lots of other stuff...
Replies
Views
G
Grip It Fixings are a new range of plasterboard fixings on the market, designed to be able to be used on the "dot and dab" plasterboard as well as normal hollow cavity walls. Due to its slim griping wings it is able to open easily with the dab void to produce an effective secure fixing with...
Replies
Views
I go to loads of radiators at work that have fallen off the wall due to the installing thinking it is ok to install a 1100 x 500 double panel radiator with 2 plasterboard fixings per bracket. Anyway, last night I went to my fiance's aunty's house because the radiator was leaking. The rad has a...
Replies
Views
E
Hi - I have a small downstairs cloakroom and would like to know what is the best way to attach the toilet and the basin. The basin will be fixed to a blockwork wall and it came with some screws and a fitting plate (Roca basin). However, my brother says that some threaded rod and a chemical...
Replies
Views
edwardk
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock