Search the forum,

Discuss Please recommend a flow meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a long story but I desperately need a non-invasive, hand held flow meter. I need something that can be clipped onto a 15 or 22mm copper or plastic pipe and give a reading of the water flowrate through the pipe. It would be great if it was supplied internationally (I'm in Cape Town).

It's for use on potable clean water and must be able to measure flowrates between 0.5 litres/min and 50 litres/min through hot and cold pipes. Accuracy doesn't need to be phenomenal, + / - 10% is fine. Hopefully something very affordable as well.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

A flow cup may help you theres some on ebay and most plumbing retailers

Do they sell these in South Africa
LMJP0022.jpg

Coupled with a stop watch they're pretty accurate and cheap :lol:

I use a flow cup but I don't know if they'll measure that much, 25ltr/min max I think :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have used ultrasonic flow meters in the past, to get a accurate reading you need all the spectacular of the pipework (alloy composition, wall thickness) and the fluid specs.

I think (hope) the Doppler type would be accurate regardless of pipe composition but some of them only seem to be rated for unclean water. I assume it needs the particulates to reflect the sonic signal in order for it to calc the speed and extrapolate the volume according to pipe diameter.

To be honest I'm not familiar with these things, I've been using a brass Kent meter with flexi-hoses up until now but it's driving me up the wall having to split conex fittings etc so I'm ready to throw some cash at the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

The measurements I need to make on a regular basis are on a closed system so the measuring jug won't work I'm afraid :(

I thought some of you UK tooloholics might use or own these things or at least have encountered them.

If you are going back to each system to test on a regular basis, can you not leave something permanent in pipe work ?
guess its difficult if it's new system each time

Hi Dancinplumba and congrats on your recent 2000 post. :sorcerer:

The flow tests are on many systems in different locations, it's not viable to install anything permanent and the numbers involved mean it would be cost prohibitive. On a few of the sites we monitor on a monthly basis we persuaded the customer to foot the bill for a permanent meter but that's only a few. At present I'm taking between 20 and 40 readings each month and I'm getting worried that with the regular ones the conex fittings might not be up to the repeated dismantling and reassembly.

Hi Dancinplumba and congrats on your recent 2000 post. :sorcerer:

The flow tests are on many systems in different locations, it's not viable to install anything permanent and the numbers involved mean it would be cost prohibitive. On a few of the sites we monitor on a monthly basis we persuaded the customer to foot the bill for a permanent meter but that's only a few. At present I'm taking between 20 and 40 readings each month and I'm getting worried that with the regular ones the conex fittings might not be up to the repeated dismantling and reassembly.

You see a lot of flow meter's on the commercial side, permanent fix alas such as these Reliance Water Controls - 100 Series - ETK Water Cold Single Jet Meter - Advanced Water Company ​... And that's about as much knowledge as I have of them. Never had the need to get involved with monitoring marvoni! Good luck on your search :)

Thanks for the suggestion EPH. I'm looking for a non-invasive type that can be clamped around a pipe without splitting the system.

Sounds like you need a tricorder from star trek.
Does a piece of equipment such as you desire exist?

Lol, this is the kinda things I was after. Portable Flow Meters

I was hoping to get some recommendations from people that already owned something similar and I thought of this forum but looks like plumbers aren't using them.

Why no use a flow cup bigman
Not easy, it's a sealed system delivering water to numerous spray nozzles inside several machines. Only way I can get a consumption reading at the moment is to split the pipework and install a temp water meter. I take the reading over a few minutes then have to remove the meter and remake the fittings again.

DSCN09952.jpg

IMG_15352.jpg

These are the kinda panels I'm talking about, in the first photo you can see a temporary meter I've connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please recommend a flow meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
G
Hi, I have bought a house that has Uponoor water underfloor heating. It was running ok but the recent cold snap has resulted in me being unable to get my rooms warm enough despite the boiler churning through plenty of gas. A little googling and poking around with a torch reveals that there may...
Replies
Views
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented indirect hot water system to improve pressure in the house. The previous cylinders are in the loft now they’re in the garage next to the boiler. We...
Replies
Views
We just had a waterhole bored and were lucky enough to find a flowing artesian, which delivers just over 500 gallons an hour without needing a pump. We need to feed only about a litre a minute into our reservoir, as this is sufficient for our rural household needs. I installed a Speedfit...
Replies
Views
Hi Is it normal to have very black UFH flow meters on a relatively new manifold (see image)? (Note the two clear flow meters on the LHS are for circuits which are not yet operational, so no water flow through them as yet.) Background is that I have an unvented system boiler CH system...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock