Search the forum,

Discuss Please help with water hammer noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frais

Hi Everyone
I have a massive water hammer noise coming from "Around" the water meter and main.

I'm leaving on the 1st floor of a flat and every time someone opens any tap the pipes are making a terrible noise.
The taps seems to be ok, no leaks
The toilet filling valve seems to be ok too

I've installed a water hammer arrestor in the kitchen next to the washing machine but did not change anything.

The pipes are rattling also when nobody opens taps

What could be? More thank a bank is a rattle noise

Please find the video below, help!! :bucktooth:
[video=youtube;0ZCuta92XIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZCuta92XIM[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs a shock arrestor straight after meter

Needs a shock arrestor straight after meter

Unfortunately the space next to the water meter is very tight, I am unable to install one :cry_smile:
Are you sure this will fix the issue?

The plumber said that this noise could be caused from a tap (maybe from the ground floor)
Possible?

Unfortunately the space next to the water meter is very tight, I am unable to install one :cry_smile:
Are you sure this will fix the issue?

The plumber said that this noise could be caused from a tap (maybe from the ground floor)
Possible?

not if it only happens if when you open your tap

Only happens when I am closing the tap :(

so problem is your end sorry to say

two options

change the tap (may fix the problem but might not)

install a shock arrestor after the water meter

so problem is your end sorry to say

two options

change the tap (may fix the problem but might not)

install a shock arrestor after the water meter

I have isolated all the taps in the flat and tried one by one.
No one leaks and all of them are triggering the same noise when closed (Quickly)

If you slowly close them the noise wan't happen
I wandering if this can be trigged from downstairs.

I don't have enough space but i will try to fit one shock absorber after the meeter

I have isolated all the taps in the flat and tried one by one.
No one leaks and all of them are triggering the same noise when closed (Quickly)

If you slowly close them the noise wan't happen
I wandering if this can be trigged from downstairs.

I don't have enough space but i will try to fit one shock absorber after the meeter

theres your problem if closed fast the noise happens needs an shock arrestor fitting

Unfortunately I've installed one today right after the water meeter. Nothing has changed if not got worst.
However, I had the chance to see the flat downstairs and the noise was even louder. Right after their bathroom sink and inside a wall. I believe the problem starts downstairs and keep the pipe vibrating all the way up.
What If I will install a very small expansion vessel upstair? Would this help a bit?
Thanks in advance

Systems where the pipework is not properly secured at the correct intervals tend to be susceptible to water hammer. (These vibrations are not merely annoying, they can lead to work-hardening and eventually fracture of the pipes.) For example, from memory, horizontal 15mm copper tubes carrying water should be clipped at intervals no greater than 1.2m.

Try adding some saddle clamps to any runs that vibrate.

C.

Hello Frais.

In post 1 you say the pipes rattle when nobody opens a tap but in post 5 you say it only happens when you close a tap. By that do you mean that the other flats using water cause banging/rattling as well as your flat?

Water hammer can be quit difficult to trace.
Have you had the water pressure tested in the building ?

If this noise effects all the flats it is possible that it is the main stop tap slamming shut when you or others, close a tap ( back pressure). This can create a banging noise that sounds throughout the building and if pipe are not secured correctly it will sound worse and be even more difficult to tell where it is coming from.
I would advise you to get a recommended Plumber in to check things over for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please help with water hammer noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock