Search the forum,

Discuss Please HELP with new combi boiler , possible nightmare on my hands in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check the turret elbow often this is missed or fitted
improperly - thats the 90 deg bend on the top of the unit
- Chking
I'm going with
1) flue not sealed inside and out.
2) flue not screwed together.
3) gas undersized
4) condense incorrectly terminated.
5) incorrect fuse fitted.
6) flue terminating too close to window/through lintel.
7) not commissioned.
8) not stable.
9) gas leak on new pipework.

I'm struggling to think of more but they will come to me.

That window doesnt have a lintle.
Sent a pic to a buildings inspector friend of mine of the >>exterior pic only<<

I'm constantly checking the ''I'm looking for a Gas Engineer'' section but yet to see shaun's job posted there? Will keep checking

i have not posted up in the wanted as I already have had a gassafe registered engineer around to view and price up for corrections . He is also a member on here

That window doesnt have a lintle.
Sent a pic to a buildings inspector friend of mine of the >>exterior pic only<<

It actually does , it's been inspected by a builder and also gassafe who both confirm they have totally cut the lintel into two. On top of that the are clean through the internal support as well as through the vertical brickwork .

this is actually one of the least worrying defects of this whole job .

No probs.
With respect some builders dont know there knee from their elbow.
But the building control inspector I know said that those bricks as they are are not classed as a lintle.

Anyways good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
No probs.
With respect some builders dont know there knee from their elbow.
But the building control inspector I know said that those bricks as they are are not classed as a lintle.

Anyways good luck

well what the inspector can't see from the picture is that there is the metal lintel that is behind those bricks . I can guarantee it is there . I'm sure some builders don't know what they are doing but this one does . Just like some plumbers / gassafe engineers don't know what they are doing , just like the ones I got :)
anyway cheers for the input .

So have they managed to drill through the steel support.
Would love to see a pic of that.

What a bunch of muppets
I wonder when people like that are doing jobs if they actually know themselves its crap or have a belief they are doing a good job.
They know no shame

So have they managed to drill through the steel support.
Would love to see a pic of that.

What a bunch of muppets
I wonder when people like that are doing jobs if they actually know themselves its crap or have a belief they are doing a good job.
They know no shame

I often wonder that myself.
Are they deliberately doing carp work or don't they know any better.

I know one thing for sure....if I had sent someone out to do a job and this was the result.

I probably would have rectified the job at my expense and ...timidly....ask the customer to pay for the cost of the boiler and materials used.

I probably would have also thrown in a dozen bottles of wine or a couple of cases of beer.

Edit: Then I would take my 'frustrations' out on the installer.

Last edited:
i have not posted up in the wanted as I already have had a gassafe registered engineer around to view and price up for corrections . He is also a member on here

ok Shaun. Just that in an earlier post, croppie asked for the screen name of the member who called round but nothing more came of that? We will leave it at that. Have a wonderful week.

NB: I will stop looking now.

1) gas piping has no earth bonding
2)redundant gas pipes have been left uncapped
3) boiler flue cut too short
4)flue terminal discharges to close to internal wall
5)flue terminal located within 25mm of a frame or opening into building should be no nearer than a frame of 150 mm if closed
6)no notification of install or boiler to relevant of building control authority
7)clearance of boiler insufficient from top of compartment
8) flue has pe nitrated load bearing element of building
9) 13 amp fuse fitted , should be 3 amp as MI
10)benchmark book not completed or even started , nothing filled in
11)external pipes uninsulated
12)condensate pipe not discharging below ground level or in drain ( discharging on wall and foundation)
13)condensate pipe too small only 22mm should be 32mm
14)new circulating pipework situated within boiler compartment has no insulation
15) incorrect power wire used for spur to boiler supply

+ many many more other points they have noted inc but not the end of the list

Inc bare wires under boiler
loose cables
boiler unsecure to wall
no electrical certificate for connections made
damage to carpets
damage to ceiling
unfinished pipework
unsecure radiators

and more.......

strange i would have put an unsecured boiler at the top of any list if it falls of the wall it is possibly catastrophic
and my pet hate the 13 amp fuse

my two pet hates

11)external pipes uninsulated
12)condensate pipe not discharging below ground level or in drain ( discharging on wall and foundation)

note they havent mentioned "no self tap in screws in the flue," they must have done them, that means they couldnt have been that bad (or maybe inspector just ran out of room)

Last edited:
There was more points noted , I would have just copied and pasted but it's a pdf an I can't post it as it names the company involved

Thanks for all the updates Shaun. The stress must be taking its toll by now. I hope you get things resolved. Please be aware we're not all like this!

Item 6 is the only one that doesn't worry me. It's standard practice not to notify until final payment has been made.

The rest is inexcusable.....

Item 6 is the only one that doesn't worry me. It's standard practice not to notify until final payment has been made.

The rest is inexcusable.....

I also don't fill out the benchmark until the very last thing.

cc16bf26fc45a525aa370c0bcc6c3224.jpg

74391dfeb68f441f87087b7da4276465.jpg

Just seen the photo bucket link.
Just curious it looks like that isnt keyed into the brickwork ???
Hard to tell

Just read from first to last post. I have to say sorry Shaun once again for the few so called "tradesmen" who give the genuine decent ones the good reason to to say we are not all in the same boat. Going back to the lintel is it a steel one,concrete etc because I only ask as I caught the end a steel one once while coring (went a lot further than should have done) and boy did I know I hit it. So we'll played to the cretin that went right through it. Looking at the state of the job that must have been the longest part!

once again Shaun I feel for yourself as I myself have had to go and put things right after so called tradesmen and I have heard the custards relief that they could finally put their minds at rest.
i just hope that you can do the same soon?

Thanks for all the updates Shaun. The stress must be taking its toll by now. I hope you get things resolved. Please be aware we're not all like this!
It is starting to get to me, I'll keep strong and fight them all of the way .
i know you are all not like them especially because of the support on here
th
anks again :)

cc16bf26fc45a525aa370c0bcc6c3224.jpg

74391dfeb68f441f87087b7da4276465.jpg

Just seen the photo bucket link.
Just curious it looks like that isnt keyed into the brickwork ???
Hard to tell

It goes all of the way into the wall , what looks like a gap on the bottom picture is actually some plaster board fitted to finish off the window ,
if you look closely on the first picture you will see the screw misses the plasterboard and goes straight into the internal wood lintel , follow the straight edge of that and you see it goes into the brickwork

cheers again

strange i would have put an unsecured boiler at the top of any list if it falls of the wall it is possibly catastrophic
and my pet hate the 13 amp fuse
I don't think the list was in order of worst to best ( if you can call it that) mistakes but more just what he noted

shocking installation from start to finish! I would take photos and document everything. you have a gas safe report. so I would just crack on a get it sorted. I think best option is to brick up opening internally and externally. This will sort the lintel and boiler positioning out. its very poor work what they have done. but I wouldn't worry to much about the structural integrity of your house! you have no external lintel only a soldier course which the window itself is holding up. the internal lintel should be replaced though, but it will only effect possibly 3 to 4 courses of bricks in a triangle above the window as the brick work supports itself and its only a small window!

shocking installation from start to finish! I would take photos and document everything. you have a gas safe report. so I would just crack on a get it sorted. I think best option is to brick up opening internally and externally. This will sort the lintel and boiler positioning out. its very poor work what they have done. but I wouldn't worry to much about the structural integrity of your house! you have no external lintel only a soldier course which the window itself is holding up. the internal lintel should be replaced though, but it will only effect possibly 3 to 4 courses of bricks in a triangle above the window as the brick work supports itself and its only a small window!

Thats prettymuch exactly what has happend.
After gassafes report i sent them a mail giving 7 says to respond to me if they are interested in any further discussions so I don't take them to court ,, gassafes report stipulates they has 7 days to rectify the work also , I even spoke to their office yesterday to give them one last chance of discussions and said they had until midnight last night to come back to me to negotiate what they are going to do or fitters were coming in to strip everything out that they have done and the new installation and repairs will commence .

no contact from them so that's what's been going on today , I've took pics as they have been removing it and I've boxed it all up neatly down to the last copper bend , it will be all packaged up and returned to Sfs with a bill for removal as well as any damages I claim through court .

they still I think insist that they will be taking me to court for payment even though I don't have anything from them that I actually ordered + all of the issues and **** installation on top of that is beyond belief that they think they have a leg to stand on

Good luck I hope you get what you deserve without too much stress.

I find it dissapointing that even with all of todays self certification /competent person schemes for various trades some still feel they can provide a poor and in your instance a potentially dangerous service.

No pride and no shame and even self policing isnt enough to deter the act in the first place...

I wouldnt worry about them taking you to court

As you have mentioned they are in breach of contract for carrying out work not of a reasonable standard contrary to the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

You can argue you have lost faith in their work and given the delays you have already talked about you should get someone in and rectify all of their work ASAP. Any losses caused by their workmanship can then be pursued through the courts if they refuse to pay.

You could always re-use the boiler and aprts they have given you if you can.

I suspect this doesnt need to be said but you should be documenting the date and time of every bit of communication with them, no matter how small. You should be able to supply an accurate diary of events showing everything that was said and done.

If it gets to court this will be invaluable.

I wouldnt worry about them taking you to court

As you have mentioned they are in breach of contract for carrying out work not of a reasonable standard contrary to the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

You can argue you have lost faith in their work and given the delays you have already talked about you should get someone in and rectify all of their work ASAP. Any losses caused by their workmanship can then be pursued through the courts if they refuse to pay.

You could always re-use the boiler and aprts they have given you if you can.

Sorry mo7 but wouldn`t advise using a single screw if it`s theirs, give everything back would be my view.

Sorry mo7 but wouldn`t advise using a single screw if it`s theirs, give everything back would be my view.
I have had the company redoing this today and tomorrow remove everything including screws ,clips, copper pipe , bends, even a blood covered flue ( they obviously cut themselves fitting it ) and even their bit of plywood . All waste pipes, thermostatic valves , actually everything I can think of

I suspect this doesnt need to be said but you should be documenting the date and time of every bit of communication with them, no matter how small. You should be able to supply an accurate diary of events showing everything that was said and done.

If it gets to court this will be invaluable.

I have been doing this also thanks though :) as soon as I realised I potentially had the issue I started to log everything , I also have email from them stating the boiler I ordered with a 7 year warranty , price , timescale etc..
Yet they still delivered and installed a alpha Eco with a 2 year
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please HELP with new combi boiler , possible nightmare on my hands in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock