Search the forum,

Discuss Please HELP with new combi boiler , possible nightmare on my hands in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shaun_sdw

Hi guys I'm just wondering if anyone could please offer me some advice please .
i do apologise if I'm in the wrong section

i won't go into to much detail including company names etc but I feel that I'm getting something fitted that's costing a few thousand pounds and its going to turn into a total headache , it started off really bad and has seemed to get worse throughout the day

I'll list a few issues so far after day one of the installation from today ( they are coming back tomorrow )
info is a conversion from a old back boiler to a new combi boiler .
this is day one but I'll keep it updated

ok here we go

1) fitters didn't turn off the water but started to drain the system , resulting in all of the radiators up stairs to disperse water all over my bedroom floors and eventually through into the living room .:dead:

2) I find out the boiler they have pretty much fitted is totally different to the one that was ordered , I don't claim to know what is good or not but what I was expecting was a vokera vision c30 and when they have started to install is a alpha Eco boiler !!
Any advice on what is better ???

3) the boiler flue is coming out directly through the vertical brick window lintel !! Should this happen ? The window does not open for your info but the flue is very close to the double glaring panel .

it was going to be a one day job but because of what is going on the guys finished early as I'm awaiting to speak to the manager of the company tomorrow . Hopefully they will be back tomorrow to finish the job , or maybe not :)

It won't let me post pictures but yes I think so .
im not an expert but from the inside it looks like it goes through a horizontal concrete section and from the outside its through my vertical brickwork above the window

if I can upload pics I can show you ??

Send them to uv.ukpf@gmail. com

I'll post them up later.

Check their gas safe cards....

How did they spill all that water from the UPSTAIRS rads did they not drain the system down properly

Green deal / Eco install?

Its just a replacment conversion we are getting done from the old back boiler ,
it's not on a government scheme or anything like that , I just ordered through a company and this is what's happened so far

How did they spill all that water from the UPSTAIRS rads did they not drain the system down properly
You won't believe me but basically they connected the drain off pipe to to the bottom radiator , opened the valve , 10-15 mins later they went upstairs and removed the cores in the radiator valves on all upstairs rads , about 30mins after that I went up stairs to check on the cats as I had the locked in the big bedroom because of all the noise , I opened the door and dirty water was squirting everywhere .

to cut a long story short they didn't turn off the water supply

Sounds like you've got a couple of bright sparks who are only used to combi swaps - they didn't realise there's a header tank constantly replenishing the water...

I think alarm bells should of started to ring when there is the ability to 'order' a boiler change through a company.

personally I would get them out of your house, they aint got a clue.
That is most defiantly NOT a days job !!!!

This sounds like a nightmare! If they can't drain the system and have put the the flue through the lintel then this is bad news!!! A lintel holds up the structure above it......no holes to be made other than a picture hook!

As for the boiler the Alpha is probably a bit better as long as it's 28kw or more

So water came from every vent on the upstairs rads? Or did water come from one vent on one rad in a room you had locked? And any chance of a pic of the flue please?

You have two lintels one wooden or concret on internal and the vertical bricks external, the external lintal works on the principle that all the bricks are there if you remove on the whole lots going to fall eventually, id get them out of my house

Did you get a few installers to come and look at the job and quote?
What made you choose the company/quote you accepted?

So water came from every vent on the upstairs rads? Or did water come from one vent on one rad in a room you had locked? And any chance of a pic of the flue please?
Yes water came out of every vent upstairs not just the room locked , the water was lest on so the header tank kept on filling and obviously topped up faster than it was draining

This sounds like a nightmare! If they can't drain the system and have put the the flue through the lintel then this is bad news!!! A lintel holds up the structure above it......no holes to be made other than a picture hook!

As for the boiler the Alpha is probably a bit better as long as it's 28kw or more
ive got pictures but I can't post online , I've emailed them to one of the guys on here
I'll check the boiler but it is a alpha Eco , I can't see a kW rating but I'll check this out .
thanks

Did you get a few installers to come and look at the job and quote?
What made you choose the company/quote you accepted?

I had 4 quotes including British gas and 3 local firms to me

I chose these as
1) they were from only a few mile away where I lived
2)they were not the cheapest but also not the most expensive
3)I got the British gas quotation and then showed this to each firm as to what I was expecting . British gas was the most expensive and then the company I went for was middle of the road with another , the one I didn't go for was about £350 cheaper but these guys who came out seemed to know what they were talking about .

anyway I opted for middle of the road , just for info its cost just me under £3000 , well it hasn't because I have not paid a penny yet

cant fit a boiler flue through (or anything else) closer than 150mm to any structual opening(window, door, etc...) due to load bearings on the sides/lintel of said opening. Standard Building regulations.

76dec8d72f422ddb479f3f0073750e7b.jpg
1ab62cc21b79827fab66301d535067e3.jpg
101a5f566cac040ef47e9283c4c217ab.jpg
89b4f4ae239c9d4e8a67a3f81b0b9523.jpg

Images sent by op.

[emoji33]

Shaun_sdw please get in touch with the gas safe register. This work is disgraceful.

Rough as a badgers arse, do not let them back in the house. You need to get that whole window situation sorted too

Don't pay them a penny. In fact they need to pay you for the cost of repairing that brickwork.

I'm utterly appalled

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much holding the boiler on the wall. The two top screws that have been drilled in at an angle have pulls the bricks down!

crap,totally disgraceful work,as said flue cant go there thats tat,not much holding it on the wall,and its fitted directly onto ply not many boilers can be fitted directly onto a combustible surface ,you need to involve gas safe mate heres the link Gas Complaint Form

That instal is disgraceful at best, anyone who carries out work to that standard mustve bribed a college official to get his tickets, its worse than a **** diyer,
The scorched plywood and flue touching the window ignoring minimum clearance distances gives you a clue to how garbage these installers are and if i was you i wouldnt hand over ANY money till you have a decent instalation otherwise your being ripped off BIG time mate sorry,

Just unbelievable. I would normally say getbthem to come make it right but if someone did that in my house they would never be coming back. As the other posters have said get gassafe involved to inspect pronto. Dont part with a penny and keep taking photos from every angle and every detail. They can not continue with that instalation and you should not let them back in you house after the damage they have done.

are you having the window bricked up and if so did you say that to the company

Is the window an openable one or is it permanently shut??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please HELP with new combi boiler , possible nightmare on my hands in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock