Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Please help on fixing my leaking shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Big Noodle

Big Noodle New Member

Hi Guys

Please could you help me identify the best way to fix this leak. Hoping that the attached picture can show where the leak is coming from. I have stripped all the bits and can see where its leaking.

The shower itself is a IXIA brand from a company that no longer in business (Plumbfit), its about 8 years old.

I'm hoping the first part is to identify how to remove it first the part. It looks like I can just unscrew the part but I can't seem to get it off (Yes I have stopped the water). Before I go over board I just wanted to check.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

2. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

If you unscrew the large brass nut next to the chromed body in the upper part of your picture, you should be able to pull the whole (upper) valve out. You'll probably find this has two O rings on it.

1. Clean the part that comes out, and replace the O rings, lubricating them with silicone grease.
    2. Clean inside the valve housing and re-insert the valve.
    3. Alternatively, you might like to try Flova / IXIA Shower Diverter Cartridge 2 & 3 Way for Concealed or Exposed Shower 5060535931533 | eBay if this looks like the right valve when you've removed the existing one.

3. Big Noodle

Big Noodle New Member

Thanks for your reply. That’s very helpful.

Yes the top brass nut is where it’s leaking and I had tried to get that nut off but was very difficult.

Just wanted to check that it DOES come off and not force something. Don’t seem to get enough leverage so might try a back nut spanner?

4. gmartine

gmartine GSR

Doubt you'll get a box spanner over that, crows foot or basin wrench.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Big Noodle

Big Noodle New Member

Thanks for your reply. The original picture was trying to captur the leak . This one might be better as it shows I have removed the insert at the top of the stem to turn the stem clockwise and counter clockwise

So would a box spanner still do?

[​IMG]

6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR

Should do. But looks old. Didn’t read all the posts. What make of shower is it?

7. Big Noodle

Big Noodle New Member

IXIA brand but discontinued now. Tap is 8 years old

8. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

Hi. Where are you. Im pretty sure I can replace the valve for you.
    David

9. Harvest Fields

London maybe?

10. Big Noodle

Big Noodle New Member

Hi yes I’m i London.

Tried the box spanner from Screwfix but can’t get it on. Don’t want to damage the nut but can’t get it off. Been using WD40 too

Don’t really want to break the tiles to change the whole thibg

11. Harvest Fields

Looks like you might have to mate.

12. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

Hmm. Right.
    Where in London?
    Can you measure the outer diameter of the splines pls & let me know pls?
    Also, the distance from the hex nut to the top of the splines pls

13. gmartine

gmartine GSR

Can you not get the box spanner to fit or does it fit but you cannot generate enough leverage? You'll need a spanner on the end of it as a screwdriver through the body is next to useless.

14. Big Noodle

Big Noodle New Member

Hi Dave

I’ll measure and post a diagram . Sorry have guests today. Do you want to pm me and let me know how much you charge?

Hi gmartine
    The box spanner won’t fit because it’s not completely hollow inside. I know that it’s a 17mm spanner.

15. Big Noodle

Big Noodle New Member

Hey guys

See my crappy picture below. Was looking briefly on the internet and looks like they require a lot more accurate measurements so might have to get a good measure later

[​IMG]