Discuss Please help identify in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've found a minor leak from above the nut in the attached image. This is on the cold water pipe under my sink.

Any help identifying the part between both nuts would be appreciated.

As a side question, further up on the (dishwasher) waste pipe you can see in the image, behind the copper pipe, there was a pin-***** sized hole which I've managed to cover with plumbers mait. It's been fine for two weeks. Is this likely to hold long-term, or should I just get this waste pipe swapped out?

Thanks in advance!

copper-join.png

I am a DIYer, and I'm sure a plumber would confirm this, but it is an inline isolator valve. You turn the screw so the slot is horizontal and it shuts off the supply to the cold water tap. You can check by running the cold water tap and turning the screw to the horizontal position. You can then remove the offending piece of pipe by disconnecting the top nut on the isolator and the connection at the tap. Bear in mind there will be a bit of water left in the pipe so you need to put a bowl or old towel underneath. You will need a new 15mm olive when you refit the new pipe.
Hope this helps

Is it definitely from the nut and not the nut where it connects onto the tap?

I am a DIYer, and I'm sure a plumber would confirm this, but it is an inline isolator valve. You turn the screw so the slot is horizontal and it shuts off the supply to the cold water tap. You can check by running the cold water tap and turning the screw to the horizontal position. You can then remove the offending piece of pipe by disconnecting the top nut on the isolator and the connection at the tap. Bear in mind there will be a bit of water left in the pipe so you need to put a bowl or old towel underneath. You will need a new 15mm olive when you refit the new pipe.
Hope this helps

Thanks, Google image search certainly seems to agree with you! :)

Is it definitely from the nut and not the nut where it connects onto the tap?

Yeah, that's correct. Everything above that nut is bone dry.

Might get away with just tightening. But personally I would change the whole isolation valve including both unions and olives.

You're really better off replacing that (extendible one size fits all) waste pipe with solvent weld PVC, also looks like the offending nut did not originally belong to the valve, if a quarter turn doesn't stop the leaking replace all that too.

Might get away with just tightening. But personally I would change the whole isolation valve including both unions and olives.

Yeah, I'll be leaving this with a plumber :)

You're really better off replacing that (extendible one size fits all) waste pipe with solvent weld PVC, also looks like the offending nut did not originally belong to the valve, if a quarter turn doesn't stop the leaking replace all that too.

Ok, I'll have a look for solvent weld PVC. Thanks.

Re: nut - I had tried a minor tighten and happy to get someone in to replace.

Yeah, the guy who lived here previously made some reasonably questionable decisions, such as installing a radiator the wrong way round o_O So it wouldn't surprise me if the nut wasn't intended to work with the valve.

Looks like the offending nut did not originally belong to the valve, if a quarter turn doesn't stop the leaking replace all that too.
Thinking the flash from the camera makes it look different bud.

Leave as it is then if there isn`t a problem.

Ok thanks. As I say, it's literally just a pin-***** hole. Was certainly an issue when first noticed, however the plumbers mait seems to have it well sealed.

Ok thanks. As I say, it's literally just a pin-***** hole. Was certainly an issue when first noticed, however the plumbers mait seems to have it well sealed.

Sorry my turn to misread, it will leak again in time so take a look on Amazon or fleabay for replacement dishwasher hose.

That ball valve has been exchanged. The silver nut is from another installation. Likelihood is that the old olive is on just a little too far away from the seat so weeping. OP doing best job by getting a pro in. The grey looks like an overflow pipe to me!! Never seen a dishwasher or washing machine with that poor quality waste pipe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please help identify in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back