Search the forum,

Discuss Please help before i loose the will, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clio182

hi all, had a burst pipe before christmas, dad replaced a section of pipe and used some plastic fittings on copper pipe, and all was fine untill when you run the hot tap you get a strange clunking noice in the pipe - replaced the fittings with compression fittings (this made no difference) so replaced the head of the tap (new valve,washer etc) this to made no difference
its a normal system with two tanks in the roof and a cyclinder,
Only happends on the one hot pipe no noises any were else in the house
all out of ideas its like air is trapped is this possible ?????
it cant be banging on anything (ive checked and checked)

edit this is the down stairs washbowl (hot water) pipe

doesnt do it until the hot water runs through the pipe

its sucking in air or air is stuck somewere ? its only the down stairs toilet washbowl but still annoys me being a very fussy sod

plumber called out the other week (didnt charge) as he couldnt find anything wrong - he couldnt make it do it
only does it as i say when the hot water comes through the pipe (which i add is down the wall) as it comes from upstairs)

like its gurggles/clunks as the water flows through the pipe - couple of clunks and all ok (doesnt effect flow) that seems to be unafected

anyone ????

Possibly some air in the system? If you can join the hot and cold up together (join up two taps with one of those old shower connection thingies or hold a mixer tap to stop water coming out and turn hot and cold on together) this should send water upwards so it floods the hot water vent pipe (and hot water system) and rid you of air.

Don't do this too long though or you might flood the water cistern in the loft. You'll be fine for a minute or so but not five minutes+.

Not saying this will work, but if it doesn't cure the problem you then know it's something else.

Did you clip the new bit of pipe down, I know you say it isnt banging against anything, but get somebody else to turn tap off and on a couple of times, while you watch it to see if it moves at all when it makes the noise, if so, may just need clipping down.

I used to have a clio 182 with Cup packs which has now been replaced with an R26, It could be that when your dad put in the new section of pipe he spragged the pipe against a surface, when the hot water runs through the pipe its expanding and contracting with the heat as it rubs against the surface it is tightly forced against.
Or as above hes knocked it out of a clip where you cant see it.

it does only have x1 clip that holds the hot and cold down the wall, which is a bit poor (but was fine before)
i cant see that this is the problem though

it just clunks?! like air is in the pipe?!

sounds like water hammer wich is caused by insuficiant clipping (I know it sounds like air but it usually does) ... if it is air, try waiting till the hot water has cooled down and try sucking on the vent pipe over the cold storage tank -prefrably with a wet vac.

mounted some more clips - x2 twins and x1 single - already had x1 twin at the top,
and tried it this morning - didnt make the sound lets hope i have solved the problem!! thanks all :) much appreciated!!!!

still doing it!

its ok when cold water flows through it, as soon as the water starts to heat up - i get a gurggling/clunking nose as it runs down the pipe??!

do i need more clips in the roof??!

very odd help please?! thought id solved it :(

sounds like air, is there any valves before it, are they turned on completely, is there any bits that go up and back down again, would be hard to say without being there.

The cheapest option would be to clip as much as possible, see if it is still making the noise.

These problems can some times take days for even a qualified plumber to do. Although they could take a few minutes for a qualified plumber to do, Very hard to say without coming out.

Most likely to be Air though. In My Honest Opinion, Get a plumber out to do a quote, Wont cost you nothing but could save you time and money.

i think it must be air to ill get up in the roof and start clipping more pipes :)

pipes.JPG
Hi, hope This picture works.

If your new pipe is rising slightly like the bottom picture or the it goes up and back down like the top picture, this is 2 reasons why air may be staying in the system.

tried extra clips thinking it would solve the problem - it didnt
made sure nothing was banging in the roof - so that didnt solve it
replaced plastic fittings with compression fittings - this made no difference -
also looked at posibilities of the pipe cocking up a little so keeping in air - cant see that the pipe is doing this
final suggestion was to keep my hand on the mixer tap on the kitchen to force the air out - yet to see if this has sorted it

looks like ill end up having to live with it - its a bit to loud for just expansion - clunk clunk as the hot water comes through - after a 20 seconds the clunking goes -

so its got to be air or just expansion - why i havent a clue?!

cant be ball valve as every tap/toilet would be causing the problem
thanks all
smiley9.gif

^^^ do you think it could be the tap (i also did think it might be) this is the point were it gurggles as the water goes through it ?! like trapped air

strange thing is though it works ok when cold water goes through the pipe,
when hot water goes through it (for the first time and not being used for a fair few hours) it clunks and gurggles at bit

once its done the above ^ its ok for a bit and no noise!?

very odd??!! never known anything like it

ive already replaced the tap valve - do you think the tap body could cause any problems??!!

thanks all

^^^ do you think it could be the tap (i also did think it might be) this is the point were it gurggles as the water goes through it ?! like trapped air

strange thing is though it works ok when cold water goes through the pipe,
when hot water goes through it (for the first time and not being used for a fair few hours) it clunks and gurggles at bit

once its done the above ^ its ok for a bit and no noise!?

very odd??!! never known anything like it

ive already replaced the tap valve - do you think the tap body could cause any problems??!!

thanks all

Sounds like the heat is making a hole where there wouldnt normally be a hole, heat mkes holes appear some times, first thing i would look at is the tap valve and replace the washer for a new one. sounds like you have done this?

if this doesnt work try the connection, where the pipe connects to the tap.

and finnaly if this doesnt fix it there may be a tiny pin hole in the tap body, (not very common but worth considering)

Now obviously if you wanted to save time, just replace the lot and then you will know for definet.

hope this helps

"first thing i would look at is the tap valve and replace the washer for a new one."

Forgot to say the tap valve may need re seating too, so i would do this too

thanks all, must be the tap body its the only bit i havent changed - it has all new valves in it already thanks for your comments jase! :)

it sounds very much like

A Single Bang, Knock, Clunk or Clang

but it says on the site i have just read its not water hammer if it happens when the water is running - mine happens when the hot comes through, then perfect again ?????

do we think it might be the tap body then?! ive never known this before?!

or the shower has a gate valve in the roof off one of the tanks not the cyclinder ?! has this got anything to do with it??!!

If your saying the sounds only started after the burst was fixed, id start looking at exactly what was done, i.e... How did you turn the water of to repair the burst, what pipe actually burst? id say its not water hammer id be looking more at a air problem.

hot water pipe

i dont know how it can be air - could the gate vale struggling to open inside??! just an idea?! (its slackened out at the moment)

i had to tighten the glad nut on the gate vale for the hot water would this cause any difference ??! only tightened it up a fraction as it was weaping

Last edited by a moderator:
just had a thought what exactly did you use to replace the burst bit? maybe there is a restriction now and the hot water is gurgling as it goes through.

just 15mm pipe (some my dad had) it was old but no reason why anything should be wrong with it?!

any more info yet people please??!

thanks - ive opted for not really using it as it up sets me! :(

i havent changed the tap yet - as the noise sounds likes its coming from the pipe - at times it more like a rushing of water (like there is to much pressure?) wants the water has come through for a while its ok,

i would get another plumber out but the wife isnt bothered - she feels its not a big issue as its only the spare toilet room thats is hardly used.

i really dont know how it can be the tap, as it has a new valve in it - what can be wrong with the tap body?!

try changing the plastic fittings for brass ones could be a restriction in them.

i did that a while back - all fittings got changed to compression fittings didnt make any difference! :(

hi all had some thought, after reading a few posts on another forum,
still as perviously suggested it could the new pipe in the roof that is slightly cocking up in the air, i read that putting a level on the pipe might help??? should the pipe be straight or cocking downwards (i know it shouldnt be cocking up (which can cause air)

anyone ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please help before i loose the will, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock