1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Plastic Piping. tails to taps.. how to tell which brand in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. scrumfled

scrumfled New Member

So, my last foray into plumbing was back in the days of copper pipe, gas torches and solder.

t'other half has bought some shiny new bath taps and they're 'easy to fit' *cough*.

looking under the bath, theres two 15mm plastic pipes, which have been bodged by the previous owner onto some copper tails from the tap. Before I go down the road of sourcing new flexible tails with push fittings, how do you tell the difference in the pipes (eg is it speedfit or hep20?).

2. joni os

joni os Plumber

Usually can see writing somewhere on pipe, but fittings are interchangeable,except inserts, that are best matched to pipe. Don't use inserts with external rubber seal under a compression fitting.

3. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

As above, the insert is the important bit, if the insert is a slightly tight fit then you're golden :)
    Get a few different brands of inserts from a merchants and see which one is the best fit. I know that JG inserts won't go in hep20 and hep20 inserts are too loose in JG. (Or it could be the other way round)