Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic Compression Elbows ("speedfit") in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aljohnstone

I recently had a complete replacement central heating system installed (Worcester 28Ri). The work is of a good standard with 15mm copper pipework with soldered end feed couplings throughout. I have however discovered that, for some unknown reason, in the attic they have used a pair of plastic compression elbows on the modified mains cold water feed to the boiler for pressurising the system (the feed for the hot water is still gravity from the attic cistern). Call me old fashioned, but compression fittings, especially plastic ones, used on mains pressure in an attic make me nervous, given the potential for catastrophe should they fail sometime down the line. Would I be justified in getting the installer back to replace these plastic fittings with good old soldered joints?

Can't see them being plastic compression you mistake there plastic push fit fittings if you don't like them you can ask for them to be changed but they will probably charge you to do it I'd be thinking

they like me probably dont like soldering in dusty flammable attics, you fuss to much after all are they leaking?

May be due to fear of using gas torch in the loft. If speedfit the higher the pressure the tighter they seal. If you are still concerned get them changed but as Gray0689 says there may be a charge.

They don't make a 28 Ri I assume you mean 24 Ri, don't worry about the plastic, take a good look inside the boiler lol, when you have you GSR carry out its first service :sleep1:

perhaps your loft is a fire hazard or very cold with the potential of copper pipe freezing. plastic has some give.

perhaps your loft is a fire hazard or very cold with the potential of copper pipe freezing. plastic has some give.

That's what pipe lagging is used for though, could they not have used compression fittings. In my opinion if they go back and change them they may retain a customer, far easier to retain a customer than find a new one!!!

why should they go back and change them the customer hasn't got a clue what they are he should have more faith in the installer, this is one customer they probably won't want to retain and they might not have time anyway.

why should they go back and change them the customer hasn't got a clue what they are he should have more faith in the installer, this is one customer they probably won't want to retain and they might not have time anyway.
tend to agree on that comment

If the job is a good un and has been completed to a high standard with copper etc, then the installer must have had a very good valid reason for using pushfit fittings in your attic.

Why not politely ask him? I'm also very certain that if your installer finds his reputation being questioned on a public forum, he'd be more than justified by telling you to go and take a run and jump.

Thanks for all your comments. I will probably live with the plastic fittings. A couple of you commented on my mistrust of the installers. This is because, despite my clear instructions at the outset that the condensate pipe be routed inside the property through a single brick wall to a toilet only 2 metres away, they sneaked it outside to a rainwater downpipe, without an air gap to boot! Potential for flooding the boiler as well as freezing! They've been back already to sort that out, at no extra charge!

If they freeze as has been suggested the speedfit may pop off that's all!!! Not ordering anyone to DO IT!!!

as would any frozen split pipe when it thaws, but its an easier repair still

as would any frozen split pipe when it thaws, but its an easier repair still

All I was attempting to say maybe in a bad way....if the job was lagged and somone had used comp fittings then there is no reason for it to burst and a LOT of PA....ing can be avoided.....IMHO that is the way to do a proper job, if you decide to use speedfit/pushfit then that's a chance you've got to take..

compression will blow if it freezes, what makes you think you think it won't ?, theres nothing wrong with using speedfit common sense would tell you to lag it in a roofspace

compression will blow if it freezes, what makes you think you think it won't ?, theres nothing wrong with using speedfit common sense would tell you to lag it in a roofspace

Sorry first of all but I have no faith in speed fit or the like...I just feel better putting in the effort and using a comp fitting....

After all if a job's worth doing it's worth doing to the best of your ability everyday

if you actually follow speedfit mfis to the letter, your supposed to pump the sytem upto around 10 bar from memory for about 30 mins, long while since I did it, in order to get the steel rings to bite in and grip. If the fitting fails the rep pops round cuts off the failed fitting for a bit of an inspection, no grip ring marking no payout. The problem normally is the the plumber just pushes and goes. Used some on a buildings conversion I did, tested and pumped up 4 of the units, didnt bother to do the same with my own part of the conversion whee I live and months later who had a slipped joint leaking away!!! Always remembered to practice what I preached fm then on and no leaks to date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic Compression Elbows ("speedfit") in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock