Search the forum,

Discuss Pipework changes needed to replace a conventional boiler to a combi ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

hat

What pipework changes are needed to replace a conventional open vented gravity boiler to a combi boiler ? Would toilet flush/cisterns need replacing ?

Cold water storage, boiler feed and return tanks in the attic will be made redundant.

As long as they're not too ancient the cisterns should cope with being presurised.

Thanks gmartine.

Cold water storage, boiler feed and return tanks in the attic will be made redundant.

Wouldn't the cold water storage tank still be needed for feeding the cold water taps upstairs (1st floor). The boiler will need a pair of pipes (can the existing pipes be used?) for the sealed heating system and a new pair of pipes for hot water (cold water feed and hot water out to the taps).

As long as they're not too ancient the cisterns should cope with being presurised.

I got two modern button press type cistern/flush (dual button, one for water saving) which was installed when I changed the toilets in 2015 or so. However, one in the ensuite is still the old handle flush type. Would the cold water pipes feeding the cistern have to change too? I thought it's just the cold water pipes feeding the boiler that would be new, not the output from the boiler (heating or hot water). If not, then the whole pipework for the hot water taps need to be changed?

Thanks gmartine.

Wouldn't the cold water storage tank still be needed for feeding the cold water taps upstairs (1st floor). The boiler will need a pair of pipes for the sealed heating system (can't the existing pipes be used?) and a new pair of pipes for hot water system (cold water feed and hot water out to the taps).
I have two modern button press type cistern/flush (dual button, one for water saving) which was installed when I changed the toilets in 2015 or so. However, one in the ensuite is still the old handle flush type. Would the cold water pipes feeding the cistern have to change too? I thought it's just the cold water pipes feeding the boiler that would be new, not the output from the boiler (heating or hot water). If not, then the whole pipework for the hot water taps need to be changed?
Regards

RE: Cold water

You can keep the CWST if you wish, I wouldn't for the sake of upgrading a cistern/flush or two if that's even necessary. Supply pipes to them or outlets don't need to be changed.

RE: Cold water

You can keep the CWST if you wish, I wouldn't for the sake of upgrading a cistern/flush or two if that's even necessary. Supply pipes to them or outlets don't need to be changed.
So, would the cistern/flush still work or would they stop getting filled until they are changed ?
Also, if I decide to get rid of the CWST, wouldn't all the feeds to the upstairs cold water taps need changing as they are currently being fed from the CWST (I assume) ?
Thanks again.

Everything upstairs fed by CWST can be fed by a mains supply, you can basically replace one feed with the other without having to replace any actual pipework.

Everything upstairs fed by CWST can be fed by a mains supply, you can basically replace one feed with the other without having to replace any actual pipework.
Ah, great. Re the old cisterns/flush, would they carry on working (albeit slowly/partially) or would they stop completely forcing me to change them immediately ?

Consult your installer, they might want to fit a pressure reducing valve depending on your incoming pressure and replace any inadequate fill valves.

Reply to Pipework changes needed to replace a conventional boiler to a combi ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but donā€™t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock