Search the forum,

Discuss pipe sizes for complete heating/DHW system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well nice work either way mate I'm impressed

by a plumber who bottled the job and did a runner

This was mainly to highlight to the OP what can and, indeed does happen when the jobs a bit out of the ordinary....
One word recommendation, but not his neighbours lol....
The plumbers in question did a runner because.......
1. They were out of their comfort zone
2. They forgot to 1st fix F&R pipes to bathroom, and 2 en suite towel rails, this was not spotted until the floors and walls were all tiled and grouted and suites 2nd fixed! I am talking nice bathroom and en suites too £40K + worth, so how do think said rooms are heated? Yes an above door electric nasty £99 blower!
3. They had just got a stage payment
4. We started mid October and they had to be in for Christmas.....we got done in less than 4 days, including chasing a mate at Northern gas networks to bump up the list his gas service and meter install, but you should have seen the panic as he had completion clauses with clawback for most of the other contractors

Lol like the sound of the nice blow heaters (NOT) lol

Looked a treat pal lol, such a shame really but when the customer starts using too many chef's!,

look at our pipework, we would normally use M10 rod with a rail and brass Munson rings, but we had to use the talon clips and spacers, as this is what was there to use! To use the gear up on site and cut costs!

I refused to use the Grundfos 15/50 pump that was on site though..... or I was walking off the job

Yes prefer school boards and Munson rings myself mate
But plastic o the job
Just depends what they want to pay!!

Lol it's amazing what people don't know about pump sizes they think the world revolves around a 15-50
I told a boy once he needed a new pump and he said he would get it himself
I went to change it
He got a 15-50 to replace a 32-120 lol

whats the difference between munson rings and plastic?.... they both do the same job, dont they?... i mean just securing the pipework!... or is there some science involved that we don't know about?... please advis.

If you got a big set up you will have lots of pipes that go over under above so there better but plastic have a place to

whats the difference between munson rings and plastic?.... they both do the same job, dont they?... i mean just securing the pipework!... or is there some science involved that we don't know about?... please advis.

It's also a pride in your work thing

In a boiler room install 'proper' fixings look better than plastic. It's got to look good on the bits that are on view, generally the cust only sees about 10% of your work. If that looks good then the chances that the rest is good are high.

Quite a lot actually!
1. Cost
2. Demountable for future maintenance many times over, unlike Plastic when they have done a few heat cycles the hinge breaks
3. Weight capacity it's not just pipes, consider pumps, zone valves etc.....
4. Adjustable via screwed rod to any dimension
5. Looks more professional because it is!
6. Utilising uni strut can be fixed to surfaces plastic cannot
7. Pride in the job
8. Easier to get proper sized lagging on, especially where pipes need to cross

Using your analogy I could fit remould tyres to my car / van "they both do the same job" they are both round and black you see.....BUT I never would!

No offence Papa but I think you want a Rolls Royce for mini money, hope your not offended as 90% of other custards do too!

Last edited by a moderator:
vern well i'm still gaining the knowledge from you guys :)
as it is i have just this evening got a quote from a plumber that came round the other day (seemed very knowlegable and have used him before).... His quoted me (Labour only) £10,500 for the whole job. thats fitting 2 boilers (Low Loss Header arrangement), 300L megaflo, full underfloor heating to the entire property,full plumbing for 2 kitchens (hobs/washing machines/sinks etc), plumbing all 4 shower rooms with thermostatic valves/shower heads/toilets/basins, etc. He said if i'm happy with the quote he would make a detail list of materials for the job. What do you guys think?.........

You pay your money and take your chance.

I think that's quote seems very very reasonable. Where did you find him?

I found him a few years ago when i was doing my existing house (downstairs full underfloor heating) from the polyplumb accredited installer website. He is quite good, and he does commercial aswell, thats why he has done quite a few LLH setups. Which really helps :) i have used him a few times since.
I'm gonna be going to the PHEX exhibition aswell on the 15th and 16th Nov. at Chelsea. might be able to hook up with some good guys there aswell who can give a few more quotes, just for comparison purposes :)

I found him a few years ago when i was doing my existing house (downstairs full underfloor heating) from the polyplumb accredited installer website. He is quite good, and he does commercial aswell, thats why he has done quite a few LLH setups. Which really helps :) i have used him a few times since.
I'm gonna be going to the PHEX exhibition aswell on the 15th and 16th Nov. at Chelsea. might be able to hook up with some good guys there aswell who can give a few more quotes, just for comparison purposes :)

Why would you take a chance on someone unknown when you already have a plumber you trust? Take his quote and run with it IMHO.

Why would you take a chance on someone unknown when you already have a plumber you trust? Take his quote and run with it IMHO.

Because people wanna save a 10-20 note here and there and think they can get a better deal than what they are currently getting

Destroyer2813 it's not about saving £10-£20 it's about gaining the knowledge!.... since i will be purchasing the materials, i can in-corporate and source the good stuff i.e LLH's... Munsen clamps/rings, etc

To be honest cant really say if reasonable or high as don't know what spec you talked about
Don't know size of house
Don't know spec of bathrooms
Make up of house ect

Gray0689 this is why i am also confused :( i need to get a comparison from other plumbers. the house "will" be a 7 bedroom (2 in the loft), 2 reception rooms, 2 kitchens and 4 shower rooms.
believe me i know this sounds like a mansion, but believe me its nothing of the sort! its actually quite small. when i mention 7 bedrooms to people immediately they think its massive!
the spec of each shower room is 1 shower head with 1 thermostatic valve, 1 basin, 1 toilet. and the plumber does not have to fit any of these facilities!... he just has to give the supply outlets for the builder to hook up. house front.jpg

To be honest cant really say if reasonable or high as don't know what spec you talked about
Don't know size of house
Don't know spec of bathrooms
Make up of house ect
Difficult to say for reasons above....did £10.5K Inc VAT? Stage payments? Deposit?

Gray0689 this is why i am also confused :( i need to get a comparison from other plumbers. the house "will" be a 7 bedroom (2 in the loft), 2 reception rooms, 2 kitchens and 4 shower rooms.
believe me i know this sounds like a mansion, but believe me its nothing of the sort! its actually quite small. when i mention 7 bedrooms to people immediately they think its massive!
the spec of each shower room is 1 shower head with 1 thermostatic valve, 1 basin, 1 toilet. and the plumber does not have to fit any of these facilities!... he just has to give the supply outlets for the builder to hook up.View attachment 8617

Bloody hell Papa you have saved all our fingers with that picture in the 1st post.....24i junior combi it is...job done!

Builder to hook up?
When did a builder become a plumber
Is your builder putting in soils wastes ect
Pay me cash and me and vern will come do it cheaper than your quote lol

Builder to hook up?
When did a builder become a plumber
Is your builder putting in soils wastes ect
Pay me cash and me and vern will come do it cheaper than your quote lol

LMAO......I reckon Papa owes us £1k a piece already for consultancy work :wink5:

vern yes inclusive of VAT.... didn't discuss payment options as yet....as we are only at the final payment quotation stage. no deposit though. this also includes the whole house underfloor heating; but all materials (to the last washer!) supplied by myself.

So he charging you £8750 before vat for labour only
Of fitting boiler cylinder all copper work all underfloor heating no sanitary ware no secondary return
Is soils and wastes included
Anything else??

Gray0689 nope!...the builders been contracted to do that. thats inc. VAT so its £10500 all in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I could come over and you could have me and vern do it for a little less
cash no problem lol that is if vern be up for it

Gray0689 but you're in Ireland and Verns in Leeds!... unless your joking!... which i'm i'm sure you are!

No mate I live in Northern Ireland not Ireland
I'd be up for it if vern was I'd rough it at your house for a couple of weeks
But your builder would have to be on the ball as I'd be wanting it ready as I don't hang around insulation down quick for underfloor stand made for cylinder as I'd want to be doing everything before floor gets poured saves on visits

But that's only if you can't get anyone around you
And I like good materials witch is not cheap

Gray0689 well i can't vouch for any builder as you must also know!...the cylinder will be going on the ground floor ontop of the concreted soild floor which will be the whole of the ground floor and then liquid screeded.
the materials that your refering to i would have to get anyway with this plumber of mine
see what vern says and give me a quote then :(

Jeez Papa edit post 97 before someone quotes it!
lmao at Gray....when's it starting? seriously booked up to new year already just a few odd days here and there....2 nd baby due December, retaking all my ACS JAN......Feb any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pipe sizes for complete heating/DHW system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock