Search the forum,

Discuss pipe sizes for complete heating/DHW system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the size if your house that one was 6500square foot so yes it was verging on light commercial
Alpha 2 is a good pump
But I'm sure 1 will not be enough
Will there be any radiators in house or towel rails?

Nice work too Vern. Lots of plumbing smut on here tonight for us trully sad gits.

Last edited:
vern that is a very impress install
Grays0689 yes there will be 4 towel rails in all the shower rooms. why did u say that it wont be enough :(((

only i went one better in that i thought we could just tee off again from the second floor manifold to the loft manifold without using even the second pump or mzv.

:)
if you read option 1 lol i used the term common'ed up same as above

Then you will need mechanical mixing valves on all manifolds and pumps

Pappa Smurf, you need to hire someone like the two gents who have posted photos to do this. It can't be done by your average jobbing plumber. Doesn't matter that what you want isn't a nuclear power station. It is still very far removed from bread and butter work for most guys.

If your pockets are deep enough, then get one of these blokes down to do it. The problem is, no one is going to want to spend hours speccing and designing this, only for you to give the job to some one else.

I've done a fair few big systems, but it's not my average day at the office. You need to speak to some one who is doing this every single day.

Here a picture of a broag LLH (very compact black box) it is rated @ 80 - 120 KW, here it is with 2 x WB 30CDI system boilerswith vertical flues, feeding the heat, along side a 300L megaflo

View attachment 8502

Not our best....... but gives you a visual...... we only had 3 days as we had the nursing home shut down, and had to join on to what was there pipe and system wise, and they would not allow us to move the washer or dryer you see in the pics making it very tight!! in this time we had to move some rads fit a new remote repressurisation unit and strip out a packaged burner ACV combi and flue, which was where the Megaflow is now sat

View attachment 8504

Looks good for the room you had mate
Nice work

If you go with weather compensation with mixing valve and one pump you can still have a towel rain circuit no problem

Gray0689 noooooooooooooooo more to think about! .......bo ho bo ho bo ho :(

Gray0689 i can use one of the ports i have saved on the LLH for the towel rails :)

snowhead my neighbour opposite has exactly the same house and setup up as what i have just described!... only thing is they don't have underfloor heating but radiators. i have included a couple of pictures of their setup in the loft. they also have 4 shower rooms and 2 kitchens and they have absolutely no problem! and as i said before i tried looking on the internet in yell.com for HEATING DESIGNING ENGINEERS and it just comes up with your bog standard plumbers!View attachment 8287
Providing the system wasnt installed before your neighbours moved in have you asked them who they used?

Pappa Smurf, you need to hire someone like the two gents who have posted photos to do this. It can't be done by your average jobbing plumber. Doesn't matter that what you want isn't a nuclear power station. It is still very far removed from bread and butter work for most guys.

If your pockets are deep enough, then get one of these blokes down to do it. The problem is, no one is going to want to spend hours speccing and designing this, only for you to give the job to some one else.

I've done a fair few big systems, but it's not my average day at the office. You need to speak to some one who is doing this every single day.

I want to know how to get into doing this every day tbh

Move to an area that generally build big with money then work hard for about 10 to 15 years till you get a name for doing good work then you hope you get paid at end of job or your screwed
Hope that helps

Move to an area that generally build big with money then work hard for about 10 to 15 years till you get a name for doing good work then you hope you get paid at end of job or your screwed
Hope that helps
Exactly this last year we hooked up 3 x 40 kw boilers on a LLH and loads of pumps etc, we were owed £26K! It went on for 10 months, no wonder I have a frier tuck hair do! You can make money, but when it goes wrong most go under!

Of course what pappasmurf could / should have done in the first place, IMHO, is engaged the services of a CIBSE mechanical consulting engineer who would have sat down with him, talked through all the different options & come up with a design which he would have then owned & it would have been backed by PI insurance in case things went wrong.
He could have then used this design to get heating companies to tender like for like for the work required.
He might not of liked the bill for this service mind you, much easier to walk over the road & have a look at the neighbours place & rely on the local poorly trained plumber or a forum to fill-in the rest.

Then you will need mechanical mixing valves on all manifolds and pumps

Gray0689 which mixing valves are you refering to?... as the underfloor heating manifolds already have automatic mixing valves :)

Gra0689 please read your reply above! is it a typo?.... i dont understand :( as i said the "automatic" mixing valves are already installed on the undefloor heating manifolds!... so pls tell me which mixing valve/s u are talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones on manifold
There only attached to manifolds you can get them without
Mate you need to get someone in to help you as your going to get yourself in a muddle as you have a little knowledge and that can be a dangerous mix sometimes
And I mean that in a nice way

i subcontracted for a friend while he got back on his feet ethel austins took him for £175 k ! when the people with the money sorted it they offered him 3p to the pound

I will keep it brief as you really need someone on site!

Option 3 ......Junk the 24 Ri ,bash in a 40 CDi (actually 41KW) no LLH Commercial spec grunfos pump for primary's say 42mm copper so 11/2" flanged, 4 zone valves (DHW,1 for each UFH Manifold) with autobypass honeywell DU146........5 pumps = 1 x main 1 x bronze secondary 3 already fitted on UFH manifolds, ensure megflo has a balancing valve fiited on return from coil, to obtain 20 deg diff, as 1/1/2" pump will send it through the coil too quickly on DHW mode only, Autobypass will sort the rest, and UFH manfiolds will look after themselves due to mixing valve etc...........
Aww Cr@p book me a hotel!!!!

Heres a crap blackberry picture of a 4 zone system with a 250L Megaflo, with bronze pumped secondary return, it was powered by a 40CDi not in pictures.....this gives you an idea of the room required to install such equipment so be aware of that issue....note these pics were a year on taken on 1 service, note the lagging was supposed to be done by customer as he said why pay us to do a job he could!!

The UFH Manifold was remote mounted under the stairs and just did a 9 zones on the ground floor, second floor was radiators, 1 bathroom and 2 en suites.

lol just seen our sticker peeling from Magnaclean!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
9 branch manifold on 22mm pipe mate!

Lol well spotted pal, long story short......small 9 zones e.g downstairs W/C, utility, hall etc, nothing was common'ed up, we did not do the under floor, he contracted it out, also the house was all 1st fixed in hep20 back to the garage, just above where you can see the zone valves, by a plumber who bottled the job and did a runner, luckily he had labeled all the pipes 1st, so 22mm was all we had as all the walls were up and plastered, solid oak skirting etc.....by the time we were involved!

This was a get it finished job and the customer understood we were only liable for the work as the pictures in the garage, this is what happens when you try to save money by employing loads of different contractors on a price! Hence the lagging never got done, in fact 2nd service due anytime so we will see.

BTW the UFH works a treat..... I asked on 1st ASV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pipe sizes for complete heating/DHW system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock