Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

22gb

Long time reader, 1st time poster.
So I'm planning to change some pipes before I re-do bathroom and decorate the bedroom above it. I plan on running 22mm and branching off 15mm to kitchen and other taps. What I am unsure about is weather to have a 22mm branch to the bath and shower before any of the 15mm branches start further down the line so shower and bath has its own line for hot and coldor weather to just have the shower and bath at the end of the run as it is now (shower doesn't currently exist).
I'm presuming it's better to have a 22mm feed for shower.
Also while I'm at it I was going to change the cold for balanced cold and have every thing thats cold running off that, so that my supply is straight to the combination valve instead of various branches before it.
Main line in is 25mm and new, It may also be worth noting that combination valve and unvented cylinder is in the loft and bathroom is on ground floor so pip runs may be longer than if bathroom was upstairs.
Any comments appreciated, thanks!

I should have said, the outlet from the combination valve for my balanced cold is currently a blanked off stub which is why I'm thinking of using it for everything while I'm doing other pipework, instead of just for a shower.
If I use balanced cold for shower only then I would end up with tee off to kitchen and bathroom cold supply before the feed to the cylinder, which I though might not be ideal, but....
Am I over complicating it?

Last edited by a moderator:
The balanced cold is normally used for shower connections as shower mixers work better with balanced hot and cold supplies , other colds ie in the kichen , bath ect can come direct from the rising main you cannot fit a unvented cylinder you will need a qualified plumber with certification to do that and building control will need to be informed.

Thank you, the system is already in place for the last couple of years, The balanced cold was left blanked as at the time there was no shower, which is the work that's being done now hence the questions.
Is it ok the branch off kitchen etc before the cylinder? It won't affect flow if shower is running and kitchen tap is turned on?

Yes thats ok you should be fine as you have a new 25 mm mdpe main providing you have a good pressure suppling it regards k

OK, I have one last question before I start.
Would I be better to run separate pipes for the shower from the cylinder, considering I have floors up it would be possible at this time. At the moment the bath is at the end of the line, so if I turn another hot tap on I notice a drop in flow at the bath. If the bath/shower was tee'd in at the start of the line and before the others tee in, would it imporove shower performance or would it be the roughly the same as current?

At the moment flow is: I work it out at 14 liters/min at the bath (this is the highest output of all my taps) and 12liters a min at bath with kitchen hot open aswell, obviously lower again if another tap is open too. This is similar for hot and cold. I will be changing the 15mm supply after stopcock to 22mm all the way thru.

OK, I have one last question before I start.
Would I be better to run separate pipes for the shower from the cylinder, considering I have floors up it would be possible at this time. At the moment the bath is at the end of the line, so if I turn another hot tap on I notice a drop in flow at the bath. If the bath/shower was tee'd in at the start of the line and before the others tee in, would it imporove shower performance or would it be the roughly the same as current?

At the moment flow is: I work it out at 14 liters/min at the bath (this is the highest output of all my taps) and 12liters a min at bath with kitchen hot open aswell, obviously lower again if another tap is open too. This is similar for hot and cold. I will be changing the 15mm supply after stopcock to 22mm all the way thru.

It depends on your inconming msins pressure and flow. If you only get 15litres a min, there's my point running extra pipework. Just do as much as possible with 22mm

So would it be worth checking mains pressure 1st to see where I am? Or would you think to just replace the 15mm feed section with 22mm and tee in shower with the bath at the end of the line?

So would it be worth checking mains pressure 1st to see where I am? Or would you think to just replace the 15mm feed section with 22mm and tee in shower with the bath at the end of the line?

it would be yes no point running the extra pressure if you only have less than your reducing valve is reducing to

Yes, that makes sense. Even if it turns out to be low pressure, Would it not be worth connecting off the balanced anyway incase of future pressure changes?

<a href="https://web.************" rel="nofollow">Thanks for sharing your ideas.</a>

Pressure is around 2.3bar (not directly at stopcock but a few meters from it, but still at ground floor level)
Pressure drops to around 1.5 bar with a tap open. Interestingly it drops more it's the bath tap that's opened, down to 1bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock