Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe Insulation, foam vs cooltherm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've usually always used that grey foam pipe insulation to insulated heating pipes, but I've been thinking, for domestic work, is it really worth (for the customers gas bill) going for that cooltherm kingspan foil lined pipe insulation that I see on commercial jobs?

Thanks.

Honestly no just use stnd 13mm grey foam

If you really want to go the extra mile have a look at armaflex

On domestic stick with foam far easier to use tie wrap it on so it cant come off and gives a snug fit with no gaps .

On domestic stick with foam far easier to use tie wrap it on so it cant come off and gives a snug fit with no gaps .

I use gaffa tape on the slit, don't like how the tie wraps squeezes it but each to there own

Never had a problem bud dont pullem up as tight to squash it to death looks neater in my opion and wont come un stuck when the adhesive drys out on gaffa tape but like you say we each have our own methods all the bud best kop

So long as its for stopping heat loss NOT protecting against frost, then polyethylene insulation is fine. Any more than 25mm wall and the increased cost isn't, generally, rewarded by savings. In terms of fixing, if you zip tie and squash it you lose its efficiency at that point. Actually best to use electrical tape (about three wraps) and do it just so the gap closes.

Physically, this type of insulation begins to shrink at 4 degrees centigrade (+4) so gaps open up and you lose heat. Nitrile based product (armaflex etc) does too, but that can be fitted so you can compress the lengths by 10% to compensate for this shrinkage. The grey stuff cant be compressed enough to compensate.

PLEASE. Only ever fit a nitrile product when trying to protect against frost. NOT ONE manufacturer says their grey (polyethylene) product protects against frost...

Have to disagree with you there bud soon as that pipework gets hot that tape is going to fail come unstuck and gaps will appear , Nitrile based products are best glued at the joint armaflex do a contact type adhesive especially for this i use it on ground source , air source pipework where you need 100 per cent coverage and protection but each to their own regards kop.

Glad to say we're actually in violent agreement King! :D

I only ever put about tape as 99% of installers want something easy and cheap. At the number of wraps I talked about it genuinely works. However, you sir are doing it as I would do it and by far and away the best way. For me, doing it the way manus suggest is the only way and delivers by far the best nights sleep ;) By the way, I even stay away from the preglued. Ive found in the past that when subjected to high ambient temps that too lets go all too often for my liking. Thank you for pointing it out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe Insulation, foam vs cooltherm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up twice a day for about 2 hours. When the tanks start to heat, one of them makes a loud vibrating noise, sometimes for about 15-20 mins, sometimes for...
Replies
Views
HI Plumbers, I need some advice on our chased-in pipes. We had plumbers tell us an array of different things. Questions: 1) Do copper pipes need insulation? 2) if so what type? 3) Do Pex pipes need insulation? 3) if so what type? I know they have been done already but I'm going to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
B
I'm a plumbing novice so first of all I apologise if I'm not explaining this situation correctly. I've recently renovated a house for my family to live in and we're having an issue with water not staying hot when the secondary return circuit is on. From a starting point of fully heated the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock