Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe ingress through exterior wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my mum has splurged on getting a yearly check from British Gas as she's not that *handy* and they told her that the pipe going through from the meter outside needs to be sealed around the ingress hole.

They said it wasn't a big thing, that I could do it and pretty much any sealant would work so just asking here for recommendations/ procedures.

I read that *some* sealants shouldn't be used around pipes due to them being acidic, and maybe others wouldn't be suitable for other reasons... So gel, silicone, expanding foam - what makes/brands... any ideas? - I just want them to be able to tick off this issue the next time they come.

pipe.jpg

I would say it's more down to the wrong meter box fitted

Looks like an extrnal meter box

So my mum has splurged on getting a yearly check from British Gas as she's not that *handy* and they told her that the pipe going through from the meter outside needs to be sealed around the ingress hole.

I would say it's more down to the wrong meter box fitted

Looks like an extrnal meter box

Shaun,the OP said the box is external!

Last edited:
Shaun,the OP said the box is external!

Yes but is it half built in (semi recessed) or just a stnd external meter box which your not allowed to drill through

Yes but is it half built in (semi recessed) or just a stnd external meter box which your not allowed to drill through

So the BG guy was wrong / unhelpful would you say?
Feel you could elaborate and help posters more with your helpful replies in your race to 30k postings tbh.

So the BG guy was wrong / unhelpful would you say?
Feel you could elaborate and help posters more with your helpful replies in your race to 30k postings tbh.

Until the op confirms what meter box I can't

But makes you think the bg guy knew it was wrong and just passing the book telling the owner to seal it, and hope he doesn't return

Just a thought

Also would like to know why it's got a do not use label on it and been capped lately

Do you need me to find out any more information on this?

As I said, he just told me that the hole needed to be sealed, stating that as the box is closed on the outside, that if there were a leak from that unit, the hole would allow the gas to pass inside the house cavity. So he told us to seal it with *any* sealant (and he did say pretty much ANY would do!).

Just been reading that that's not entirely true... that some sealants are unsuitable for metal pipes...

Do you need me to find out any more information on this?

As I said, he just told me that the hole needed to be sealed, stating that as the box is closed on the outside, that if there were a leak from that unit, the hole would allow the gas to pass inside the house cavity. So he told us to seal it with *any* sealant (and he did say pretty much ANY would do!).

Just been reading that that's not entirely true... that some sealants are unsuitable for metal pipes...

He's wrong anyway sorry to say

The only type of meter box that allows rear connection to a gas pipe is the one built into the wall, as it can be sealed as it has a tapered free space for sealing (with a non setting mastic / putty)

Firstly, welcome to the forums beternal, I`m of the feeling that perhaps you should complain and ask for a senior engineer to come and look, you could add that "somebody" has suggested the box or the installation of the box is wrong.

(cross posting with the above)

Last edited:
The only type of meter box that allows rear connection to a gas pipe is the one built into the wall, as it can be sealed as it has a tapered free space for sealing (with a non setting mastic / putty)

What do you mean by that? It's a key-locked box on the side of the house with a meter and the pipe running through the wall (albeit not a sealed ingress point).

What's wrong with the setup and what do you advise? - is it really not simply a case of just sealing the hole and why not?

The hole through the back should have a spigot in it to bridge the cavity, then sealant around the pipe;

Spigot

But can you modify a stnd meter box, also would need to be installed by a gas safe engy as requires modification to the Pipework

The hole through the back should have a spigot in it to bridge the cavity, then sealant around the pipe

Thanks for the reply :)

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the purpose of the spigot? - why not a standard sealant and no spigot or is this purely to protect the pipe and not let the sealant come into contact with it?

I think based on the information given you probably need a better gas engineer to come and take a look as you are getting yourself confused

Late to this conversation I know but you are not allowed to modify a meter box (only allowed to use the predesigned exit holes) and if it was a medium pressure supply (its not because its a standard regulator) then you are not allowed to exit through the back of the box anyway. Gas Safe Register TB 100 deals with this issue so would recommend getting BG back to do a proper assessment of the damage and advise you correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe ingress through exterior wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock