Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe Freezing Kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Arctic Commercial one. Very rarely use it but on the odd occasion that I have, it's been fine.

We used the arctic one on a job a few weeks back, and I could have done with one the other day on a job I posted about on here. So I thought I might invest in one...

I did have a similar one but at some point of use one of the cylinders had a problem unknown to me until there was a hissing noise and a much swearing as the ice block had dissolved.
So I purchased an electric unit made by Freezemaster which has given good service and can be left in situ for several hours if required.
My opinion of the small freeze units is that they are somewhat restrictive if things do not quite go according to plan.

Regards

Arthur

Freezemaster everyday - painfully ( 1K ) expensive unless you buy second hand but brilliant. When you need it you can rely on it.

Freezemaster everyday - painfully ( 1K ) expensive unless you buy second hand but brilliant. When you need it you can rely on it.

Wow.. £1k!! You must use it a fair bit then?

I bought several freezemasters and rothenbergers from ebay that had varying problems until I got one that works. Got my money back but was a palava. Really wanted a Rems at the right price. If buying second hand then watch out for the older freezemasters that can't be regassed. Especially gold. And ebay scum dumping stuff that's ****.

The one I've got now is a god send. Only problem is access to get the heads in where you want on some jobs. Under radiators etc.

Only problem I've had is with taking it off. I had to change a stopcock that was letting by. No stopcock (There were 3) in the property stopped the feed so I froze it.
Great. Nice big ice plug.

Only just enough space above stopcock to fit freeze head so no room to play with, leave in situ and do the work.

New stopcock was too shallow to make with the olive.
Not great.

Both olive removers I have rely on a hole in the pipe to work.
Decided only way was to take off freezer and saw the olive off.
Bum clench. Can feel my heart rate going up already.

Got 90% through and watched the water break the plug.

Olive stopped pushfit stop end going on. Shot it onto the floor.

Had to put stopcock on as best I could with half sawed olive. Towel over it. Bucket below to catch water.
Run around like a nutter looking for isolation point.
Back up to swap buckets and empty the full one.

Sorted it eventually.
Water supply was fed from next door through the wall as it used to be a bigger property.
It looked from the floor below like a 22mm teed off and disappeared into the wall. That was a falacy

Was lucky I hadn't got further through the olive and it didn't make much of a mess. as it was over a cellar.

Anyway I find mine to be great but not when you remove it.

Bloomin' eck! I've only had one hairy moment like that but at least mine was a gushing mains from a shower valve into a shower tray.. I felt your anguish mate

Jonny5isalive, The one I have is a gold colour - not gold plated- & i took it to a local refrigeration company who re-gassed it for £35 & that was about 2 years ago. Perhaps I have been lucky with this one.

Regards

Arthur.

Bloomin' eck! I've only had one hairy moment like that but at least mine was a gushing mains from a shower valve into a shower tray.. I felt your anguish mate

Thank god for isolation points. Even if we didn't find/use them in the first place.

Last edited:
Jonny5isalive, The one I have is a gold colour - not gold plated- & i took it to a local refrigeration company who re-gassed it for £35 & that was about 2 years ago. Perhaps I have been lucky with this one.

Regards

Arthur.

Saying that it was freezemaster who informed me of that. The original gas is not legal and the new they won't guarantee not to leak as it is smaller particles.

I had someone buy one of the old gold ones off of me that the seller didn't want it back and he was obviously going to regas and sell it. I told him what freezemaster said but the idea of how much money he was going to make was palpable in the conversations we had.

I ended up with a Rothenberger Rofrost original which works well.

Last edited:
Artic kit is better than rotton burger, which I still have in the van in case of panic, but otherwise use my 2nd hand freezemaster £400 off flee bay, which has paid for itself many a time, just charge it out at £50 everytime you use it, after all a couple of rad valves will use a couple of cans at £20 each

Originally was looking for a freezemaster. Got the rothenberger from someone local to me for 200. Only thing it wouldnt do was 35mm but i dont have the insert for that so its probably fair enough.

What problems have you found with the rotten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe Freezing Kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock