Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Phantom toilet flushes.. in the Sanitary Ware area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Bugsyroo

Bugsyroo New Member

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help? My downstairs loo has started to flush itself 3 or 4 times after each flush. It's obviously overflowing and them somehow rectifying itself but I can't work out how or why this is happening. I've attached a few pics of the inside of the inside of the cistern in case anyone has any ideas of what I should do to troubleshoot.

Many thanks in advance!

Bugsy

IMG_1983.jpg IMG_1982.jpg IMG_1981.jpg

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Water level looks around 10mm high, start with adjusting the part in photo number1 to bring it down to the casting mark in the cistern.

3. Bugsyroo

Bugsyroo New Member

Hi Rpm,

Many thanks for your response. I have just lowered the white float bit in pic 1 by screwing the grey bit (!). Once flushed the water starts to refill the cistern lifting the white float. When the float can go no higher the water continues to fill the cistern (from the bottom I believe) until a "phantom" flush is triggered because the water level is too high.

Lowering the white bit caused the flushes to seemingly go on indefinitely. Once I screwed it back to its original position it eventually stopped.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Bugsy

4. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Lets see if anyone can suggest a repair kit or how-to-clean solution.

5. Bugsyroo

Bugsyroo New Member

Fingers crossed! Unfortunately, since fiddling the cistern has been constantly filling and therefore flushing. I have had to turn off the flow to the downstairs loo and declare it "out of bounds!"

I fear that this might not be an issue I can rectify myself and will have to get a man in!

6. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

Sounds like inlet valve knackered,fit a new one

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bugsyroo

Bugsyroo New Member

Hi Gasman,

Thanks for getting back to me. Would fitting a new inlet valve be something be something that I could tackle myself? - I'm a pretty confident DIYer (although not as young as I used to be!). If so, would you be able to point me in the direction of the appropriate part?

As ever, thanks for your help

Bugsy

8. thereisawizza

thereisawizza Plumber GSR

9. Bugsyroo

Bugsyroo New Member

Brilliant! Thank you Thereisawizza. I assume the valve is located under the white bit with the grey screw? (sorry for my amateur description!). Would you be able to advise how this would be attached and therefore removed?!

Many thanks

Bugsy

10. REDSAW

REDSAW Guest

take big white nut off after isolating water supply.
    theres a black washer behind that needs changing, or buy identical and change whole top section is easyist to do if not sure.

those valves are rubbish, sometimes its the plastic arm at fault and hard to detect!

11. Bugsyroo

Bugsyroo New Member

Hi Redsaw,

Thanks everso much for your advice. That certainly sounds like something I can attempt in the morning!

Thanks again,

Bugsy

12. Billy Bob Bob

Billy Bob Bob Guest

13. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  14. Bugsyroo

Bugsyroo New Member

Gasman & Shaun,

This is great! Thank you so much for helping me out. I feel confident I can have a go at rectifying this problem now

All the best

Bugsy

15. AlexGas

AlexGas Plumber GSR

People landed on the Moon... you just have to make it happen, Bugsy.