Search the forum,

Discuss Paying by credit card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MikeF00

Hello. Is it considered unusual or 'a bit off ' to ask a plumber if he would accept a credit card payment before he starts the job.

I'm getting central heating system put in.

Quite a big lucrative job , surely he would insure the 3 or 4 % cost of credit card Payment ?

you will find most plumbers don't have the machine bigger companies will have one but they will charge you more.

smaller plumbing companies are now starting to get card machines. another alternative to consider is bank transfer directly into their account.

Almost all payments I take from customers now are by debit or credit card. I have a mobile card terminal that works on the GPS network and there is a quarterly charge. It saves customers (especially elderly ones) having large amount of cash lying about the house, plus it both eliminates cheques which I no longer accept and the money is paid into my account with acceptance from the credit card company, so I know then and there if the funds are available from my customer and won't bounce like a cheque can.

Here's the company I use:
Card Machines, Chip & Pin Terminals, Online Payments - CardSave

too much of a risk especially with charge backs...

No one wants to do a job then 10 weeks down line, card company saying Sorry we can't pay this, customer is claiming agaist you...

i prefere to be paid in old copper 2 pence coins......... worth more down the tat yard! :)

i think bank transfere is a good idea.

too much of a risk especially with charge backs...

No one wants to do a job then 10 weeks down line, card company saying Sorry we can't pay this, customer is claiming agaist you...
So do you expect to be paid cash every time? Practically every goods or services these days involves card payments, so you're talking nonsense. What's the alternative, a bounced cheque? I've never had one single problem, that's because I leave a first class fully guaranteed job, charge backs will only happen if you leave a pigs ear of a job.

So do you expect to be paid cash every time? Practically every goods or services these days involves card payments, so you're talking nonsense. What's the alternative, a bounced cheque? I've never had one single problem, that's because I leave a first class fully guaranteed job, charge backs will only happen if you leave a pigs ear of a job.

had to charge back an on line butchers once, asked for a delivery of quality pork cuts to make a stock, when it came they had made a right pigs ear of the order! :)

To the op. If you are just springing the payment by credit card then expect to pay the fees. In this day and age there's no such thing as a lucrative job. Margins are tight.

I know I wouldn't be paying it.

Mine are with payment sense , customers love them all them necta points

Personally I would never expect someone to do a job in my home home then expect them to accept payment by card. There again thats my opinion.

Personally I would never expect someone to do a job in my home home then expect them to accept payment by card. There again thats my opinion.
So how do you expect to be paid? I don't want my customers carrying the risk of having thousands of pounds lying around their house just to pay me! Cheques are worse and I feel insulted being offered one. Come on its the 21st Century and card payments have been around since the 1960's. Besides customers love the convenience.

100 pounds a quarter robbery
I don't pay that.

The charge is offset against all your customers payments for that quarter. If all you do is 50 quid repairs, then card payments are not for you. However if your order value is high and in the thousands it's perfect. As soon as the card is inserted in the machine a credit check is made on it and you know then and there if the customer has enough cash in their account to pay you. You can't do that with a cheque.

A cheque can also be cancelled , once card pavement has been accepted its 99.5 % guaranteed

A fool and his money are easily parted
Next time you pay for your shopping in the supermarket, I hope you remember that. A fool doesn't get real and move with the times, or offer his customers alternative means of payment.
I can also take payments over the telephone with mine and have no worries over cash flow now. Can you say that?

Why pay a third party, can you not get what you are owed. ie cheque, cash and transfer.

Why pay a third party, can you not get what you are owed. ie cheque, cash and transfer.
I've explained all that above. Cheques are archaic, can be dishonoured and at point of sale in someone's home, cannot be credit checked. I don't expect my customers to have thousands of pounds in their home when they can pay me by card, and as for bank transfer I have to wait (and sometimes remind them) to pay it. Ok I'm paying for a service, but I get paid immediately without sending out reminders and cost of doing so. Cash flow is no longer a problem.

It's true though - you HAVE to move along with times. Card payments aren't even the future, they're the past. But The amount of tradesmen that don't hold this facility are losing out. And if you cant make enough profit to cover the £150 a year cost then your doing something terribly wrong

I would love to see a major builder punch their number into a machine.
No difference there either, they have to pay suppliers on many ocasions with several company credit cards as they also do with hotel bills and entertaining prospective clients with business lunches.

When I did my council contract, all of their materials were purchased by credit cards.

As I said above I can also take payments over the phone, as do millions of businesses worldwide do as well.

Many retailers have a 2.5% surcharge on card payments (I don't) to cover the charges.

Do you really expect people to have to go to the bank in this day and age and have the hassle of withdrawing thousands just to pay you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with system. Doesn't matter how big the company. It's all the same and they still use card machines and pay by card

how much is the monthly fee for machine rental or whatever they charge you for?
That's negotiable with whatever payment plan is best suited to you. Bit like a monthly phone contract! Why not arrange a meeting with their local rep and find out? No obligation and you have nothing to lose.

System we will agree to disagree.
Some day when you get bumped for thousands you might consider moving into the 21st Century. Plus you're not offering your customers the benefit of having a convenient and alternative payment method than "going to a bank".

One alternative to credit/debit card payments is to set up a business Paypal account and get paid that way. Be aware though that Paypal's fees are much higher than card machines, but either way you get paid.

Done it and didnt want to pay, besides still live in the 20th century where trust is a two way thing. And as I say will always collect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Paying by credit card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock