1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Pathetic water pressure from shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. animal47

animal47 New Member

Can I please get some advice on how to best cure my shower problems as cheaply as I can.
    We never used to have any trouble with our old central heating system consisting of a water tank in the loft as well as a hot water tank in the airing cupboard and back boiler. After a house fire it was all ripped out and a new greenstar 30si fed straight from the mains water was fitted. We only have a 3 bed semi with one bathroom and a total of 7 radiators and we have triton rapide 4+ electric shower.
    Our water pressure is very poor and barely powers the shower and if anyone so much as has a tap dripping downstairs in the kitchen or the washing machine is on the the shower cuts straight out and goes stone cold, in fact at times it will refuse to work properly even with nothing else on in the house.
    What can I do to remedy this, can I fit a pump on the line supplying the shower.
    Any advice much appreciated as it is so annoying.

2. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Implies blockage or something not fully open?

• Like Like x 1
  3. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Check your internal and external stop taps

4. animal47

animal47 New Member

The internal stop tap in the kitchen cupboard is definitely fully open. As for the external one, do you mean the one out the front of the house under the pavement.

5. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Yep

6. animal47

animal47 New Member

Both taps fully open. I did actually have a bloke from the water board out a couple of years ago to complain and when he tested it, it was apparently just above the bare minimum that they agree to supply so he wouldn't turn up the pressure although he did say he would check a few more houses in the street to see if he could find one under pressure so that he had an excuse to turn it up but I don't think it ever was increased.

7. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

That might be your starting point again then mate. What're other taps like??

8. animal47

animal47 New Member

To be honest everything is pretty pathetic.
    Worse case scenario and that I get no joy from the water board, is there a way of installing a pump on the shower inlet as I am used to the tap pressure being rubbish but the shower is just a constant irritant

9. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

What type of pipe comes on from the street? Blue or black plastic or lead

10. Subby

Subby Plumber GSR

Salamander homeboost is needed

11. animal47

animal47 New Member

It is a black plastic pipe coming into the house

12. animal47

animal47 New Member

Looks great and would no doubt be easy to fit onto the combi main inlet BUT is there no cheaper alternative lol as that looks quite an outlay for just after Xmas.

13. johnf

johnf Active Member

Your best bet is to get someone round to do some tests on water pressure and flow. To be fair this should have been done before the new boiler was installed. Without knowing what you have at present and what you need it is hard to advise what is best for the situation. Stuart Turner and Salamander do a pump that you can add to the mains which will increase the flow to a maximum of 12lpm but this may not be the cause.

14. animal47

animal47 New Member

Who should I get to check pressure and flow, is that a plumber or water board job.

15. johnf

johnf Active Member

It should be done by a Plumber/heating engineer. Explain to them what you want doing before they come out as you want someone to do it properly.

16. animal47

animal47 New Member

I guess I can use my outside tap to measure my flow over a minute to see how much the homeboost would likely improve the flow.

17. johnf

johnf Active Member

Yes most of the time you can but not always. Your outside tap is likely to be fed from 15mm pipe. You may (although I doubt it from what you have said) have 22mm cold water main running after the stopcock and then Teeing off to each outlet. Check that there are no other obstructions such as service valves, check valves that can reduce flow.

18. animal47

animal47 New Member

As my shower is electric and fed from the cold water supply, is it not possible to just install a pump in the pipe running to the shower.

19. johnf

johnf Active Member

From the sounds of it, you are going to do this yourself. If you are then it can be more costly in the long run. You cannot put any old pump in. Unfortunate as it may sound you have to comply with the water regs which limit the about of water you can draw in off the mains. Have a look at the following Low Mains Water Pressure & Flow Booster | Stuart Turner Pumps

20. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Seriously get it tested?!?!?!

21. animal47

animal47 New Member

Oh god no, I wouldn't dream of doing it myself lol, me and diy do not go together

22. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Then enlist a pro. I'm not being short mate. Pumping the mains is doable but as above must be in line with water regs. If your water is worse than before get it tested in the first instance

23. animal47

animal47 New Member

All taken onboard so will get somebody in to check it, many thanks for all the advice.

24. animal47

animal47 New Member

Ok well I had the water board out today to check my pressure and at both my outside tap and at the tap at the pavement it measured the absolute minimum of 1bar and that was at 2pm when there would be very little usage as most of the estate are at work. The guy rang his manager to ask for advice and was told there must be a problem somewhere as my estate is set at 1.8 bar so we are losing pressure somewhere. He is now going to set up something down the road to monitor it for a week and get somebody out to check some valve somewhere.
    He did say that I was the only person to ever complain which is probably down to the fact that most will still be running off the tank in the loft, my immediate neighbours definitely are as I have asked them. As he was chatting to me a neighbour opposite that I don't know very well actually came out and started complaining about his water pressure being too low and affecting his shower as well.
    With a bit of luck I may get a result out of it although he did say not too expect too much as even if they do get it back up to 1.8 bar then that is still not very good.