Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Pathetic water pressure from shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. animal47

animal47 New Member

Can I please get some advice on how to best cure my shower problems as cheaply as I can.
    We never used to have any trouble with our old central heating system consisting of a water tank in the loft as well as a hot water tank in the airing cupboard and back boiler. After a house fire it was all ripped out and a new greenstar 30si fed straight from the mains water was fitted. We only have a 3 bed semi with one bathroom and a total of 7 radiators and we have triton rapide 4+ electric shower.
    Our water pressure is very poor and barely powers the shower and if anyone so much as has a tap dripping downstairs in the kitchen or the washing machine is on the the shower cuts straight out and goes stone cold, in fact at times it will refuse to work properly even with nothing else on in the house.
    What can I do to remedy this, can I fit a pump on the line supplying the shower.
    Any advice much appreciated as it is so annoying.

2. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Implies blockage or something not fully open?

• Like Like x 1
  3. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Check your internal and external stop taps

4. animal47

animal47 New Member

The internal stop tap in the kitchen cupboard is definitely fully open. As for the external one, do you mean the one out the front of the house under the pavement.

5. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Yep

6. animal47

animal47 New Member

Both taps fully open. I did actually have a bloke from the water board out a couple of years ago to complain and when he tested it, it was apparently just above the bare minimum that they agree to supply so he wouldn't turn up the pressure although he did say he would check a few more houses in the street to see if he could find one under pressure so that he had an excuse to turn it up but I don't think it ever was increased.

7. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

That might be your starting point again then mate. What're other taps like??

8. animal47

animal47 New Member

To be honest everything is pretty pathetic.
    Worse case scenario and that I get no joy from the water board, is there a way of installing a pump on the shower inlet as I am used to the tap pressure being rubbish but the shower is just a constant irritant

9. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

What type of pipe comes on from the street? Blue or black plastic or lead

10. Subby

Subby Plumber GSR

Salamander homeboost is needed

11. animal47

animal47 New Member

It is a black plastic pipe coming into the house

12. animal47

animal47 New Member

Looks great and would no doubt be easy to fit onto the combi main inlet BUT is there no cheaper alternative lol as that looks quite an outlay for just after Xmas.

13. johnf

johnf Active Member

Your best bet is to get someone round to do some tests on water pressure and flow. To be fair this should have been done before the new boiler was installed. Without knowing what you have at present and what you need it is hard to advise what is best for the situation. Stuart Turner and Salamander do a pump that you can add to the mains which will increase the flow to a maximum of 12lpm but this may not be the cause.

14. animal47

animal47 New Member

Who should I get to check pressure and flow, is that a plumber or water board job.

15. johnf

johnf Active Member

It should be done by a Plumber/heating engineer. Explain to them what you want doing before they come out as you want someone to do it properly.