Search the forum,

Discuss Part p in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tester £400 Sh off eBay I am insured for plumbing and property maintenance so pretty much everything bar gas work, then it's jusn annual calibration and members £450. Domestic installers course £520
Bare in mind my sparkie charges £250 to do a 10mm circuit for a shower. For the extra work I pick up it will more than cover it, then got the extractor fans I just say no to. It's a no brainier to me! I also fit kitchens it's only going to benefit and make me more money. Far more professional I feel, yes it is cutting my mate out the loop but that don't feed my son

Ive already got the test gear. Had it for years. Just needs recal

That doesn't mean anything and they could just state you must be 17ed which = part p

What youve just gurgited doesnt mean anything
But if you looked yourself you would end your own argument - and You state "could" lmao
What sort if a bloomin argument is that...

You state your in the know - what...youve overheard a disgruntled Electrician pee and moan about wannabees entering via the route and how they think its wrong.

I seriously doubt your in the know.
I dont think you party to what the IEE are tabling or central government are considering re building regs refinements.

But what i do know - and what can be seen with a few clicks of a button is part p is current and still accessible.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Christ for that at last got a answer from the horses mouth called niceic told them what I wanted. ONLY need a 17tg edition course 3 days then pass there site assesment and there competence test

Just called nappit and they want 17th edition, nvq, 2 years experience lol how can they differ so much

They are different bodies with different accreditation standards. There is another one and i cant remember the name that needs less

That Christ for that at last got a answer from the horses mouth called niceic told them what I wanted. ONLY need a 17tg edition course 3 days then pass there site assessment and there competence test

What exactly did you ask for?
Did they tell you what was involved the Assessment and Competence test?

My advice is to buy a copy of the 17th edition regs AMD3 and a copy of the on-site guide AMD3 you will need these to join a scheme anyway.

When you get them have a good read and see if you still want to do electrics as you will need to know the regs well so you know that you are doing the work correctly.

Said that they come out on site to check a job ie doing a spur or installing a extractor fan. Then a online assessment test

They would need to see either a job that required a full electrical installation certificate (re-wire, consumer unit change or new circuit - e.g. shower) or several Minor works certificate jobs.

They are only interesting in your ability to perform safe isolation and follow the correct procedures for inspection and testing.

Just because you only want to do a small amount of electrical work you still need to know the complete range of information. An Electrician is an Electrician you cant pick and choose bits you want to do.

An example of one of the questions is "What is the max Zs value for a circuit with a 32a BS60898 breaker", fairly basic question but essential to know the answer.

Last edited:
depends if you are using the new AMD3 values and allowing for temperature correction.

Probably not, ironic you said that word as I joined the sparkies last night with an ohms question, lol

:D i see you met marvo and they labeled you as a diy rpm :(

In my world there are different trades for a very good reason!
I use them all from ground workers to roofers,floor screeners,steel fixers,and sparkies too .
I learnt a very long time ago that yes some guys can do several trades but they are normally big enough to admit when something is beyond them.
There are others who want every job going,they normally do a second rate job on all of them.

:D i see you met marvo and they labeled you as a diy rpm :(

Which I thought was fair enough Shaun as 1) being a newbie there and 2) no electrical qualifications, must say a mod was good enough to stand up and speak on my behalf when a little flak came my way.

Which I thought was fair enough Shaun as 1) being a newbie there and 2) no electrical qualifications, must say a mod was good enough to stand up and speak on my behalf when a little flak came my way.

there a good set of lads esp paul m (mod) bright blue name but as with anything you have to take the rough with the smooth you should of seen the flack i took when i joined :D but to be fair bet 1/3 couldnt wire up a 2/3port plan ;)

So do you reckon I was just unlucky with the switched fused spur with a dodgy rocker switch?

So do you reckon I was just unlucky with the switched fused spur with a dodgy rocker switch?

yes and the motor was on its last legs me thinks (coil windings had a bit of corrosion on it and just went, only takes one bad connection)

In my world there are different trades for a very good reason!
I use them all from ground workers to roofers,floor screeners,steel fixers,and sparkies too .
I learnt a very long time ago that yes some guys can do several trades but they are normally big enough to admit when something is beyond them.
There are others who want every job going,they normally do a second rate job on all of them.

Agree to an extent but there is inevitably some overlap between trades. You wouldn't call in a chippie every time you needed to notch a joist. You'd just learn the requirements for safe / permissible notching.

Likewise, as plumbers / heating installers we should be able to install a shower or heating controls , or to move a fused spur without calling in a spark.

However, as electrics are notifiable, I see the need for things like the "defined scope part P" which allows you to self-certify minor works without being fully 17th Ed. qualified. As long as people don't think that makes them a sparkie, and as you say, are big enough to know the limit of their competence, it's better to have these training schemes than for people to just bodge it.

Agree with above, a knowledge of allied trades is essential when these trades are not themselves on site. Not just to do the work of others, but to recognise when the work of others needs upgrading. Electric showers being one example.

Agree to an extent but there is inevitably some overlap between trades. You wouldn't call in a chippie every time you needed to notch a joist. You'd just learn the requirements for safe / permissible notching.

Likewise, as plumbers / heating installers we should be able to install a shower or heating controls , or to move a fused spur without calling in a spark.

However, as electrics are notifiable, I see the need for things like the "defined scope part P" which allows you to self-certify minor works without being fully 17th Ed. qualified. As long as people don't think that makes them a sparkie, and as you say, are big enough to know the limit of their competence, it's better to have these training schemes than for people to just bodge it.

EXACTLY WHAT I BEEN SAYING
It's getting on my ti's people banging on about only doing one trade, and bleating on about regulations.
A heating engineer is a plumber but controls are wired. So you need to be able to do both. A shower pump a electric shower there is no need for 2 trades it not rocket science........ You would think
I am a plumber and have no interest in being a sparkie just want to be able to do my job!

EXACTLY WHAT I BEEN SAYING
It's getting on my ti's people banging on about only doing one trade, and bleating on about regulations.
A heating engineer is a plumber but controls are wired. So you need to be able to do both. A shower pump a electric shower there is no need for 2 trades it not rocket science........ You would think
I am a plumber and have no interest in being a sparkie just want to be able to do my job!

and this is exactly what is reflected in the apprentice training at level 3 & why with the advent of ‘Trailblazer’ there is only plumbing to this level which will be funded.

Just to correct you on one thing tommy a heating engineer is most certainly NOT a Plumber!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Part p in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock