Search the forum,

Discuss Part P & Maths in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi,

Sorry if this is a duplicated post but I've searched the forum and can't find the answer.

I'll be doing my Part P in about 2 months and I want to brush up on my very redundant maths skills, does anyone know (or can point me in the right direction) exactly what maths you need for Part P?

e.g. I've been told algebra is a must.

Other than basic math and algebra, is there anything else I'd need to brush up on?

Cheers in advance, I've been trying to find this out for a few day now and I'm starting to bang my head against the wall.

Jay

Yup.. I believe so. I thought there was only one part-p?

im not 100% sure what gets covered by part p courses as you wont need to know as much as a full c and g course.

you will probably just do basic calculations following ohms law. Basic sizing calculations, algebra is commonly used in electrical calculations but i dont think it will crop up in a part p course.

[DLMURL="http://www.electrickerypublishing.co.uk/new-book/"]The brand new ?Part P Doctor Part Three?[/DLMURL]

the above book is very good, for people wanting to do a part p course.

Last edited by a moderator:
im not 100% sure what gets covered by part p courses as you wont need to know as much as a full c and g course.

you will probably just do basic calculations following ohms law. Basic sizing calculations, algebra is commonly used in electrical calculations but i dont think it will crop up in a part p course.

Many thanks for the info and book reference, think I'll grab myself a copy!

I did the C&G 2393-10 - TBH I cannot remember any maths in it at all and I got 100%, its just an appreciation of building regs

I did C&G 2393-10 - I cannot remember any maths in it as its just an appreciation of building regs WRT electrical installations in dwellings . Full title is C&G 2393-10 Level 3 certificate in the building regulations for electrical installations in dwellings, AKA Part P Hence why I asked the question.cheers

I did C&G 2393-10 - I cannot remember any maths in it as its just an appreciation of building regs WRT electrical installations in dwellings . Full title is C&G 2393-10 Level 3 certificate in the building regulations for electrical installations in dwellings, AKA Part P Hence why I asked the question.cheers

Okie dokie. The training centre have just called it Part-P (no c&g reference no.) so I'm assuming it's all one and the same - but thanks for the info - I'm hoping maths won't be a major aspect, but I'm still going to brush up on a few bits beforehand. And I think I'll get the book mentioned by AWheating below to get a head start.

Cheers bacon_sanwich ;) *love the username haha

What ever maths you need should be covered on your course. I did the 17th edition a little while ago and three were some calculations but nothing too complicated. Plenty of vids on Utube showing inspection and testing which also reference calculations.

Ok, can you elaborate a little? Maybe an example? ;)

Zs is the total earth loop impedance of a circuit. so the total resistance from the transformer at the substation, through the meter, consumer unit, the circuit, back down to earth via the cpc though the earthing path back to the transformer. hence the word loop. each circuit want to have a total zs of a certain value to ensure the protection devices can trip quickly enough to protect the circuit.

i hope that makes sense LOL

Ze is the part of the total earth loop (zs) that is external of the installation. so the bit from the transformer to the meter/consumer unit and back to the transformer.

r1 is the resistance of the live(line) conductor of the circuit
r2 is the resistance of the cpc

so the calculation zs=ze+r1+r2 means the total earth loop is the resistance of the live and earth of the circuit plus the total loop of the external MAINS.

you can either measure the values individually and add them together or use a earth fault loop tester and measure it. You will measure the r1 and r2 when dead testing before powering up any circuit you have installed.

this is probably hard to understand without pictures and being shown it in a classroom.

Last edited:
Zs is the total earth loop impedance of a circuit. so the total resistance from the transformer at the substation, through the meter, consumer unit, the circuit, back down to earth via the cpc though the earthing path back to the transformer. hence the word loop. each circuit want to have a total zs of a certain value to ensure the protection devices can trip quickly enough to protect the circuit.

i hope that makes sense LOL

Ze is the part of the total earth loop (zs) that is external of the installation. so the bit from the transformer to the meter/consumer unit and back to the transformer.

r1 is the resistance of the live(line) conductor of the circuit
r2 is the resistance of the cpc

so the calculation zs=ze+r1+r2 means the total earth loop is the resistance of the live and earth of the circuit plus the total loop of the external MAINS.

you can either measure the values individually and add them together or use a earth fault loop tester and measure it. You will measure the r1 and r2 when dead testing before powering up any circuit you have installed.

this is probably hard to understand without pictures and being shown it in a classroom.

Hahahaha :/ I'll wait to get the Part P book before I panic!

[DLMURL="http://www.electrickerypublishing.co.uk/new-book/"]The brand new ?Part P Doctor Part Three?[/DLMURL]

What do parts one and two deal with?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think its just updated. Should really have been version 3 i guess.

the electrical regs are updated every 2.13 hours, most books you buy are out of date before you buy them tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Part P & Maths in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant near me but they all need to ring Firebird who are closed till next week. I wonder if anyone can help me find this part please? It's a pressure sensor...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
I've air tested pipework for years, typically 4 bar for 30 minutes. I've never had an issue with any pipework that has passed that test, occasionally you get a small leak from the air test typically old cap ends/scratched pipe which shows up easily on the test without having to inspect anything...
Replies
Views
Hi all, apologies in advance for my ignorance. I have an old style toilet with what I've researched is a ballcock. The toilet was screaming every time we flushed so I googled and found it was the diaphragm valve that needed replaced. I bought a pack of diaphragm seals and attempted to change...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I have been searching the Web for a spare part for a Worcester 35 cdi ng boiler that is obsolete. I can't find one anywhere and its looking more and more likely I'm doomed . The part is the door extrusion seal 87161031280. I have sold my house STC and this has just happened , so...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock