Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

2. WARNING! We do NOT provide advice related to Gas or other fuels to people who are not currently an official registered Heating Engineer. Do NOT ask for advice related to boiler repairs or installs. You need to find a heating engineer instead.

Either seeking or providing advice on UKPlumbersForums.co.uk may result in your account being suspended or removed. These rules are in place to prevent deaths, which can easily occur from messing with heating systems when you're not qualified to do so.

Discuss Parkray Caprice help needed in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. madtheswine99

madtheswine99 New Member

I have a Parkray caprice coke fire and has been serving us well for over 30 years, however I was having some walls skimmed and needed to remove a radiator, this is when my problem started. I had to drain the system and cut the radiator valves off, no big deal, had the wall skimmed and put the radiator back on. When the system filled up again I bled the radiators, downstairs first, and then the upstairs, put the fire on and the three upstairs radiators that are all gravity fed don't even get warm. I have put the pumps on and downstairs are all red hot, but the upstairs three are all still cold. Any help would be appreciated, no plumber speak though as I wont understand some of it.

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Sounds like you have an air lock on the gravity side, there is a old school way of clearing this but not recommended has a DIY fix, have you thought about getting upstairs radiators connected to pump ? or is there a reason why this cant be done ??

3. joni os

joni os Plumber

Thoughts:- With the valves off, were open pipes covered so plasterer couldn't drop muck in them
    Are new valves 22mm and are lockshields fully open.

If satisfied with above. Tie up ballcock in F&E, drain off to reduce water to just above outlet.
    Attach hose from drain off point to mains pressure tap and back fill F&E tank to overflow level.
    With 28mm pipe on the gravity each metre of pipe holds 1/2 litre of water so just 10 litres of water will clear a lot of pipe.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  4. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Is the hot cylinder still getting heated?
    Also, - does the small expansion tank (that feeds the heating system) fill water in when you were letting water into the radiator. You could test this by draining a little water from a drain point or rad to test.

5. madtheswine99

madtheswine99 New Member

New valves were attached before plaster work, and lockshields are open. I will try the tip you suggest, I had heard of this before but hadn't tried it.

6. madtheswine99

madtheswine99 New Member

Yes water is filling in the expansion tank

7. madtheswine99

madtheswine99 New Member

Is that the back flush?