Search the forum,

Discuss Overflow on Worcester boiler gushing water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
What it says really.

I've just bought a flat and finally after getting the electric connected, I went to fire up the boiler. The water and gas was turned off so I turned the water on at the mains and also two leavers, one red, one grey, on the water inlet pipe to the boiler which seem to be on a loop.

I can hear water rushing through and then the next thing there is water rushing out through what I'm guessing is an outside overflow pipe. I'm on the second floor so it was pretty loud. If I shut the grey leaver off the overflow stops, but then so does the water to the taps.

I've never had mains gas before and whilst I'm quite practical, I can't figure what is happening. I can't find anything in either the owner's manual or the installation manual. I'm assuming it is broken somehow, but mindful that I have never used a gas boiler before, it is possible I'm just doing something stupid and not turning it on properly. So, am I being a doofus and just not turning it on right or do I need an engineer?

Thanks in anticipation

Liz :)

any chance of a few pics on which levers your turning ?

will do tomorrow. The flat is not really habitable at the moment so I'm staying with friends. Will take copious pics tomorrow

will do tomorrow. The flat is not really habitable at the moment so I'm staying with friends. Will take copious pics tomorrow

dont open any valve that is connected to a metal braided hose, as thats the filling loop

oh sugar, I think the grey lever was connected to a braided hose.

there should be a pressure gauge on the boiler, at cold should be just over 1 bar

if its like 2-3 bleed a rad until it drops to around 1 bar

there should be a pressure gauge on the boiler, at cold should be just over 1 bar

if its like 2-3 bleed a rad until it drops to around 1 bar

Should I do that with both levers turned to on?

When I actually turned the boiler on, it was at 2-3. Looked too close to the red and with all the water gushing I turned the boiler off and turned the grey lever to off as well. One thing I noticed was if the grey lever (which is the one connected to the braided pipe) is in the off position, then there is no water coming out of the hot tap.

I will get photos and detailed notes in the morning and try and post on my phone.

turn the ones with a flexible/ braided hose off

Sounds like have left the filling loop open on the heating circuit side of the boiler so the water is going straight in the boiler and over pressuring and coming out of the saftey valve , as shaun said reduce the pressure in the system to 1bar through a drain point on a radiator , when the cold inlet valve is switched off via the valve connected to the braided hose it should allow cold water to enter only when the hot taps are turned on if not check the valve is in the right position, regards kop

Ok so here's the update :) turned it on at the switch, pressed reset and the ignition light came on AND I had hot water (yay!). However, the gauge is reading 0 bar and in the red even when the water is running. Not sure how to work the CH (for the last 20 years it's been a log burner, so moving into the 20th century is a bit of a jump!) so maybe it's to do with that? RF Thermostat isn't working, it might need new batteries. Off to get some. IMG_20170422_112157.jpg

Any chance of a pic of the gauge as hot water shouldn't effect the position

When you open the red lever (attached to the braided hose) does the gauge rise at all ?

Yes it does. Should I open it incremental? Just opened it until it hit 1.5. Have CH on full blast and rads are warming up. Fingers crossed.

Slowly and once it's at 1-1.5 when the heating hadn't been on turn the valve off

And then look in about an hour is there a pipe dripping outside below the flue (copper pipe)

Good luck to you

And any more questions please just ask the lads and gals on here are more than willing to help you out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Overflow on Worcester boiler gushing water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock