Search the forum,

Discuss Outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
and if you are using the standard back plate, fit it below the point where the pipe comes out the wall so that it can be drained in winter.

you can open the outside tap, then close the stopcock inside, but sometimes, even when it's fitted lower, there might be water still left in the pipe. if you want a 100% guarantee of no water left in the pipe, fit an air release tee after the stopcock. close the stopcock, open the tap & open the air release to drain. never done though.

Look I'll do it for £250 and I'll even pet the dog. That's not a euphemism.

If you don’t have a dog, I’ll pet the cat.

If you don’t have a cat, call it £220 and with the extra £30 you’ve saved, go buy a pet.

Yeah, you'd do that and stitch up a fellow tradesmen. That outside tap was my job, and then you swept in with your big talk of tea and jaffa cakes. Great. You know I have a wife to feed right?

Go on then, I hope you choke on your jaffa cake. You stitched me up good and proper. I could drop to £210 and a Hob Nob, chocolate of course. But that's it. I have my pride.

What do u serious
do an outside tap for Danny??? Ur not a £45 full thing are u lol

Outside tap, hmmmm about £110, maybe a bit more. Materials about £25/30. Shouldn't take long if it's drilling through by the kitchen sink and it's all easy to access.

A metre of 15mm pipe, a double check valve, a full bore ballafix, a back plate elbow and a bib tap, oh and a couple of elbows and an equal tee.

Shouldn't take long. Last one I did was last year. knock on my van window as I was packing up from another job. Charged £75 and it took me half hour. But I did have all the bits on board and did just walk over to the property and fit it easily.

I've been using outside taps as a foot in the door, got them on offer on my website for £40. I see it as advertising, takes 1/2 hour and the cost is covered. I leave a business card and have had a few repeat jobs off the back of it.
Supermarkets have been doing it for years with 'loss leaders', they'll sell something cheap at a loss in the hope that you also buy some other stuff while you're there. Like when asda did tins of plum tomatoes for 7p.

I have been fitting outside taps for years, but have never, ever fitted one 1/2 hour. I suppose you could do it that quickly with a cheap B&Q self cutting crappo fitting.

Ye but they dont graft for that
Very true, I am only testing the waters to see if it's worth it for repeat business. And if it's not going to be a quick job I'll advise that it will cost more. Example, 2 weeks ago I fitted one in a stone cottage with 400mm ish hard as nails stone walls, took best part of an hour and a spent drill bit just to drill through, so that one cost £120.

I have been fitting outside taps for years, but have never, ever fitted one 1/2 hour. I suppose you could do it that quickly with a cheap B&Q self cutting crappo fitting.
Don't want to ruffle any feathers or anything, but that may be the difference between a handyman and a plumber. As long as there aren't any hidden issues like difficult to drain/refill cold pipes, boxed in pipework or silly stone walls half an hour is fast for fitting one but not uncommon. You're probably faster than me at the other services you provide, but I do plumbing day in day out and have done for years.
Isolate and drain down(<5 mins)
Drill through and fit wall plate and bib tap (10 mins)
Cut feed (2 mins)
Cut, clean and assemble pipes/fittings(5 -10 mins)
Solder up(2 mins)
Turn mains back on and run taps etc. (5 mins)
By my reckoning, you may even get a minute to eat a Jaffa Cake/chocolate hobnob while admiring your work :)
Not sure of the price of a b&q garden tap kit, but I'll bet it's not cheap compared to getting the bits you need from a plumbers merchant(I'd guess at about £15 for individual parts from Plumbfix + a couple of bits of leftover pipe from the toolbox). I actually used to fit the kits with self tappers when I was at college as pocket money jobs, must have done a dozen or so and not had any come backs from them, I fitted one in a house I rent out about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. Obviously wouldn't fit one now, not because they are rubbish, they're just not as good as doing it properly :)

Yeah, they can easily be done in half an hour if the set up is easy.

I tend to just sweat an elbow onto a couple of bits of 15mm pipe. One to go through the wall, the other to go into the back plate elbow.
Drill my hole. Feed the pipe through. Mark drill and fit the back plate elbow, with the short section of pipe in it. Tighted comp fitting. Then isolate, drain, and cut tee into the mains. Couple more fittings, and an iso valve. Sweat them. Bit of sealant around the hole in the wall, job done. Half an hour is easily achievable.

As for those self-cutting valves for the B&Q DIY kits. I've started to worry where the little disc of copper goes!!?

Plus you won't get a good flow rate through such a tiny aperture.

Could do an outside tap with good access in easy 20min

Its not a competition right!! I could do one in 15 mins, with one hand tied behind my back and the other one stapled to a length of 2X1. Blind folded, wearing welly's full of custard, while being pelted with stones from an angry mob. Plus it would look neater than yours.

:thinking2: I think it's time I took my medication.

The flow rate is reduced but not so much that you'd notice without a flow rate cup, but the disc stays connected, it gets pushed open once there is enough of the hole cut. I used to think they'd end up blocking something further down but they don't. I'd never fit them on the rising main because of the flow rate issue amongst other things, I used to fit them on a tee'd section to the washer/cold tap. Again though, now I know better, I just wouldn't use them.

I do keep one in my van for if I can't drain down a section of pipe or if I've frozen a pipe and need a controlled way to drain a section under pressure off.

You can actually buy them in 22mm too, but only on the web. I don't have one of those!

Personal best....about 2 mins. We are talking removing right!!? LOL.

I don't know mate. If I'm totally honest, I'm far from a fast plumber. I'm slow and rough. But totally charming with it, so it's ok!! :)

You lot must be linking several of those ugly flexies together to do an ootside tap in half an hour. Most of the ones I've done take around an hour.

However I can install a bath in around 30 seconds.

My daughters plastic baby bath in her bedroom.:jester:

can easily be done in 30 minutes, i done one the other week and i didnt time myself but probably around about that time give or take, rough as a badgers n all that though ye know:cowboy:

but it was for family

You lot must be linking several of those ugly flexies together to do an ootside tap in half an hour. Most of the ones I've done take around an hour.

Well this is my outside tap kit. ;) $(KGrHqZ,!ngE-5UJRT-wBP1lE!plp!~~60_12.jpg

Just stumbled upon this on ebay. 99p at the moment Sys3. You could bag a bargain!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLEXI-TAI...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item20c6b03665

The problem I find with most outside taps is the woeful kitchen fitters plumbing under the sink!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know. I'll get banned at this rate!!

I've got paper work to do now :(

While I was on ebay I also noticed this:

small header tank | eBay

Basically someone who's had a combi fitted is trying to sell there old header tank on ebay. Mental.

1/ Who's going to buy it?
2/ If someone does, how tight are they?

These are our customers. Scary.

Have a good one all.

JG Speedfit do a push fit double check valve but it's way overpriced. A standard compression one is better. The bib taps with the built in DCV don't last in very cold weather, even with the tap drained, so a separate internal one is the best solution. Don't forget to fix an isolating valve so that you can turn the tap off and drain it in the winter.

Always drill from the outside so that you don't burst your wall.

I always drill half way from outside & halfway from inside but I am extremely clever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. No one drills half way from each side. You'd have to be more than clever to line them up. You'd have to be a freaking genius. Like the Rain Man of drilling.

Possibly you pilot all the way through and then drill each side with a bigger drill?

Agreed. No one drills half way from each side. You'd have to be more than clever to line them up. You'd have to be a freaking genius. Like the Rain Man of drilling.

Possibly you pilot all the way through and then drill each side with a bigger drill?

That's what I thought at an absolute push!

While I was on ebay I also noticed this:

small header tank | eBay

Basically someone who's had a combi fitted is trying to sell there old header tank on ebay. Mental.

1/ Who's going to buy it?
2/ If someone does, how tight are they?

These are our customers. Scary.

Have a good one all.

If you hurry up Danny you may get it. 8 mins to go and still at 99p.
Was tempted to put in a bid myself( :lol: ) as the galvy one on the job i was at today is ready to drop the rse out of it. Luckily i had an old one in the garage that will do me. Just need to find somewhere to put all my drain test stuff now :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock