Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Outside pipework and connections in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Tuco2834

Tuco2834 New Member

Firstly, Im not a plumber but like to tackle anything in my own house.

I want to plumb in a USA type fridge to the cold water supply in the kitchen. The floor is tiled and i dont want to lift them. The best route is outside through the kitchen wall under the sink.. under the decking fir 10ft...then back into the house where the fridge is. The pipes would be almost entirely hidden under the decking.

I was going to use 15mm plastic pipe with insulation, instead of copper and compression fittings instead of plastic. Any issues with this? Any advice welcome! Cheers!

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yes will freeze and cause issues

• Like Like x 1
  3. MaksimsK

MaksimsK GSR

Frost Protection Trace Heating Kit ?

4. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

Even with the correct thickness of lagging? Sorry for my ignorance but it's rare to get sub-zero temperatures where I come from so people tend to go a bit lighter on the lagging compared to the UK.

5. ShaunCorbs

Yes this last week has been mad 11/2 waste pipes freezing

6. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

Understood.

There are burst pipes galore over here after 3 days of sub-zero temperatures. It actually made todays newspaper because it is really quite unusual for us. When I was working out on site instead of a workshop I only did 2 0r 3 frozen pipe bursts in 5 years.

MaksimsK's suggestion of a heat trace might be the way to go if there are no internal routes then?

7. ShaunCorbs

My opinion it would be the very last option/ only way

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Member

Or do what we did and buy a fridge you can fill up yourself .

9. Tuco2834

Tuco2834 New Member

Good advice, thanks guys! Never heard of the frost protection trace heating kit before. Thats the way to go, as there's no way of running a pipe inside the house without lifting tiles....and its my sons house and he bought a non-fillable fridge.

10. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Trace Heating is designed for other things.
    I personally would not use it on a drinking water supply.

If the pipe has to run outside the property, it should be done using the correct materials and be buried at the right depth.