Search the forum,

Discuss Outside oil boiler, not well insulated! Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I've moved into a new house and the boiler is located outside against the wall of the house. The boiler housing its self is made from stainless steel and has a make shift wooden door. Inside there is some old think insulation covered in aluminium foil but it's that old it's falling apart. The door itself is just some wood with no insulation at all.

im fairly sure I'm wasting a lot of oil heating the air outside. The boiler housing does get quite warm which shows the existing insulation isn't up to the task.

My question is, what is the best insulation I can use here? Can I get a jacket or will I get some foam wall insulation and cut to size and fill gaps with expanding foam?

ill try to post up some photos, thanks for any help in advance!!

image.jpgimage.jpgch]image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 35
I think the boiler housing is getting hot due to the split flue pipe from the boiler, you need to get someone to look at your boiler

Needs the flue sorting, a service and you could insulate the cabinet and pipes. But you would need ventilation for the copartment and combustion.

I'm also pretty sure that is the conventional flue model with a home made terminal, that won't really stop any rain getting in, should also go above roof level, (of the house not the boxing in)

I'm pleasantly surprised though that all the panels (boiler) are still connected in place

Last edited:
I'd also consider the electrics ... is there not a chance to have the electrics inside?

I was only somehow able to view one full photo of inner flue as this forum won't let me view more than the small images, but that looks like a Warmflow Kabinpak boiler. The outer boiler house casing is galvanised steel and the blue shell of boiler is actually a boiler casing which has insulation of about 20mm thick fibreglass behind it.
The flue looks to be the original and those boiler houses leak rain water around the flue, hence the typical corrosion. I clean the area around the flue and Tec7 it, but got to watch not to accidently glue the top door of boilerhouse when doing it.
Whereabouts are you? Looks like something I see in some houses here in the past to save money by builders.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for reading and offering advice! I'll have to get someone around, although I was hoping I'd be able to have a go at cleaning it up myself as I like to do that type of thing and this would be something new to me but might need a more professional approach

I tried to put a link up to Flickr of the images but it won't let me. I'm in NI too, possibly a common thing here. When you say Tec7 it do you mean to seal it around after removing the corrosion? So no additional insulation necessary? Seem to be burning through a lot of oil is all, the dial was initially set around 4 or just under, turned it down to 2 but then the radiators nearly heated so it's now at 3.5 but still going through a lot of oil...

Tbh I bet most people will say and if you can afford it new oil boiler

I tried to put a link up to Flickr of the images but it won't let me. I'm in NI too, possibly a common thing here. When you say Tec7 it do you mean to seal it around after removing the corrosion? So no additional insulation necessary? Seem to be burning through a lot of oil is all, the dial was initially set around 4 or just under, turned it down to 2 but then the radiators nearly heated so it's now at 3.5 but still going through a lot of oil...

Just as I thought - very familiar photo & background as seen a lot like that fitted here. That's probably about 15 year old I guess.
Have a proper oil service person out to look it over and probably be able to have it going well if that flue hasn't corroded through. (Those flues often look like that) The boiler needs a new nozzle and other basic parts and set up with an analyser.
I was talking about rain water getting in around the top of boiler house where flue exits.
A grant can at times be available here in NI for replacing oil boilers over 15 years old. Depending on your earnings, it can be up to £1000. If you ever replace that boiler I suggest total new Grant Vortex outdoor module. All new boilers now are highly efficient condensing type and use less oil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outside oil boiler, not well insulated! Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock