Search the forum,

Discuss One radiator not heating up - too many close pipe turns? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

My name is Luke. I am a new joiner to this forum. I have a problem with one of the vertical radiators I installed. It doesn't heat up at all. The connecting pipes are cold. I tried closing all radiators except for the one in question, but nothing changes (there is a bypass valve, hopefully it works ok). After opening the bleed valve and letting some water out for some time the radiator starts to get warm, but soon after closing the valve it gets cold again. The new radiator is 150cm high and 30cm wide. It replaced a small horizontal simple kudox that was heating up ok. The TRV valve used is Danfoss VHX-Duo (wall connection, see http://heating.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/VDUYQ402_VHX_RAX.pdf). The lockshield valve in this unit is integrated with the TRV valve. One needs a pentagon allen key to turn the lockshield valve (which unfortunately I don't have) so I wasn't able to perform the standard procedure of trying to remove potential airlocks. I called Danfoss and they told me that the lockshield has correct factory setting so I shouldn't need to turn it to make the radiator work.

However, I am slightly suspicious of the way the piping around the radiator is organised. It's a two pipes system. 11 radiators in total. Boiler is Glowworm 30 hx. There is also an unvented water cylinder. Everything is relatively new (installed by a professional 5 years ago), plumbers visiting confirmed good installation of the boilers and the piping around the boiler. The picture I attach to the post presents part of the piping of the central heating (all the pipes are between the ground and 1st floor). The rebel radiator is on the ground floor, the working ok radiator closest to it is on the 1st floor (not sure if it makes any difference). I've noticed that in the vicinity of the unlucky radiator there is some multiple teeing going on at close distance and I was wondering if this is not causing the problem. Can this be a problem or you think the valve might need tuning?

Regards,

Luke

CHSchema.jpg

Some vertical radiators need the flow and return connected to specific outlets on the radiator. Have you checked yours are correct (if required)?

The bends and tees should not have any effect.

What happens if you turn of the rad "next" to the vertical, i.e shares the same pipe?

Have you bled the new rad?

sounds like you have 2 flow or 2 returns an not one of each so heating water is not circulating.

The valve is connected to the radiator at the bottom. The distance between the flkw an return pipe inlet is 5cm. The air vent valve is at the top. I bled the radiator thoroughly. I also checked both configurations: one with the return pipe connected on the TRV side and one on the lockshield valve. The same problem. I can try turning off only the radiator closest to the problem one, but as I mentioned I tried turning off all except the refusnik with no joy.
I tried increasing the pressure in the system from 1 bar to 1.5, but no improvement.

The two return or two flow suggestion sounds attractive, but the previous radiator was heating up ok. Besides the diagram I posted is correct. I was recently opening the ceilings in all the rooms involved so the diagram is drawn based on visual inspection.

What else I can do I guess is to remove the radiator and "hose" it? It's a new rad though.

When I get home I will post a pic of the installed rad and valve.

The valve is connected to the radiator at the bottom. The distance between the flkw an return pipe inlet is 5cm. The air vent valve is at the top. I bled the radiator thoroughly. I also checked both configurations: one with the return pipe connected on the TRV side and one on the lockshield valve. The same problem. I can try turning off only the radiator closest to the problem one, but as I mentioned I tried turning off all except the refusnik with no joy.
I tried increasing the pressure in the system from 1 bar to 1.5, but no improvement.

The two return or two flow suggestion sounds attractive, but the previous radiator was heating up ok. Besides the diagram I posted is correct. I was recently opening the ceilings in all the rooms involved so the diagram is drawn based on visual inspection.

What else I can do I guess is to remove the radiator and "hose" it? It's a new rad though.

When I get home I will post a pic of the installed rad and valve.
Possible that some crap has got into pipes have a look in valves see if they have collected anything !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to One radiator not heating up - too many close pipe turns? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock