Search the forum,

Discuss One and a quarter BSP pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Just joined the forum.

I have a large log burner which has one and a quarter inch BSP fittings.

I wish to change the layout of the pipes after removing an old oil boiler. The pipework is rock solid in the fittings and even using a Stilson with a length of scaffold pole attached won't shift them.
I have tried heating them up but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

Andy

More heat normally 24-36" stils

2 hammers, 1 each side, on the fitting if you can get to it.
Hammer one side use the other to counter the blow.
It'll crack the seal.

Works on pipes, nuts and bolts etc.

2 hammers, 1 each side, on the fitting if you can get to it.
Hammer one side use the other to counter the blow.
It'll crack the seal.

Works on pipes, nuts and bolts etc.

Only thing is you have to watch if you want to reuse the fittings it can ovel the end

Another question,

The pipe outlets from the boiler are not at 45 degrees so 45 degree elbows are of no use. The pipe needs to be bent. How do you do that with steel pipe? 28mm copper is tough. I would prefer to finish the job myself but may have to get a plumber to re-attach the pipework in the new layout. Hard to get a plumber here in rural France though!

Depends how much if you haven't got a bender I've used a wall and a lamp post before now :D

or 4 x 45 degree male x females if you have room to get any angle

If I need a small bend on a pipe, I still call it a "skip kick". Because, when I was an apprentice, the old guy in the firm didn't know how to use the hydraulic bender. So we caught him using the loading eyes on a skip to put a small bend in a 6m length of inch and a quarter steel. Can still picture the poor guy hanging from it o_O

Thanks!

I was wondering whether to change the pipe to 28mm copper? There isn't too much of the 1 1/4 steel pipe before it reduces down anyway. I think it is usual nowadays to even use 22mm pipe and reducing down to 15mm pipe for feeding a couple of radiators.
Any feedback would be very welcome. I really want to do the work myself as French plumbers are very difficult to pin down to come and do the job and are also very expensive - due to the French tax system!

Thanks

Andy

copper to iron adaptors would be my advice bud and run the rest in copper it will be easier for you . cheers kop

28 or 35mm will be fine

Thanks, I will use some 35mm up to branching off from the log burner and then some 28mm and then down to 22mm.

Why down to 22mm ?

Is this Gravity or pumped?

And to the O.P you may have to face the Guillotine if the French catch you avoiding their tax system.

They're going to loose enough free handouts from us (via the E.U) soon, so they need to hang on to everything they can get.

Is this Gravity or pumped?

And to the O.P you may have to face the Guillotine if the French catch you avoiding their tax system.

They're going to loose enough free handouts from us (via the E.U) soon, so they need to hang on to everything they can get.

Pumped.

Why down to 22mm ?
Just thought it would be easier to handle. So it would be best to just use 35mm and 28mm? I guess the flow rate will be better with the larger diameter pipe.

Just one other question. The log burner also heats a hot water cylinder, there is no pressure/expansion vessel fitted on the HW . I'm sure it must need one as it is a sealed system. There is obviously an expansion vessel on the primary system other wise boom!

Be very careful what you are doing my freind a little knowledge can be very very dangerous i dont think we can comment anymore - shaun whats your opinion think you may need to use that purple badge bud HETAS or the French equivalent regulations would be broken here ? Get a proffesional in to do this do not attempt it on your own please . regards kop

Be very careful what you are doing my freind a little knowledge can be very very dangerous i dont think we can comment anymore - shaun whats your opinion think you may need to use that purple badge bud HETAS or the French equivalent regulations would be broken here ? Get a proffesional in to do this do not attempt it on your own please . regards kop

It's France so I don't think they have any regulate bodies eg like building control, gas safe, hetas etc, you ever seen a solid flue with an expansion vessel ?

Op please be very careful and maybe just a thought phone the manufacturer of the stove / fire up they may have some drawings on how to pipe the system up / how they want it piped up

It's France so I don't think they have any regulate bodies eg like building control, gas safe, hetas etc, you ever seen a solid flue with an expansion vessel ?

Op please be very careful and maybe just a thought phone the manufacturer of the stove / fire up they may have some drawings on how to pipe the system up / how they want it piped up

Hi,

Some additional clarification. This is an existing installation which looks to have been in place many years and certainly has been used a fair bit before we bought the property last year.

There was Chapee (BAXI) oil boiler connected into the same system. So far all I have done is remove the oil boiler and associated pipework that went with that boiler.
I just want to swap out the steel BSP pipe for similar size copper pipe.

The wood burning stove is a Geminox :

Chaudière Bois Geminox GB 40 S - Acheter moins cher

which is fitted with a Honeywell/Braukmann TS130 safety device :

Soupape thermique, TS130

This is an over temperature device that vents the primary water if the temperature exceeds 95 degrees C. There is also a pressure relief valve on the filling loop along with a suitably sized expansion vessel.

Unvented solid fuel systems are common here as in Europe the low pressure vented header tank system was never used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to One and a quarter BSP pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock