Search the forum,

Discuss Oldham College Level 3 Part Time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jules

Hi All,
If anyone in the Greater Manchester area wants to do the Level 3 Plumbing Diploma, Oldham College are going to run the City and Guilds 6035 from mid September. Its 2 nights a week. You need the level 2 qual. If you are interested come and join us, we are a mad bunch and there is even a woman on the course (me! - though don't expect any preferential treatment, haha).

I've just enrolled on the level 2 evening course, think the tutors are called Ian and Dave, I start next week can't wait.

Dave is my hero, - don't know Ian that well but seems OK. At the moment there is some doubt whether level 3 will go ahead as only 8 have enrolled and we need 10! Can't believe it as Oldham are the only college in the area running the part time level 3!

Hi All,
If anyone in the Greater Manchester area wants to do the Level 3 Plumbing Diploma, Oldham College are going to run the City and Guilds 6035 from mid September. Its 2 nights a week. You need the level 2 qual. If you are interested come and join us, we are a mad bunch and there is even a woman on the course (me! - though don't expect any preferential treatment, haha).

Hi chap, if you read past threads on here, you'll see you do not need level 2 to go on and do level 3.
It is at the "colleges discretion" whether or not you can do level 3 off the bat.
Would assume that means: level of experience and the cut of your jib, too...perhaps:)

Last edited:
The level 2 evening course started tonight only 8 turned up and the tutor says the course may not run unless they can get at least 2 more, so same as the level 3, a few years ago you'd have struggled to get on the course, now seems like not many interested in being plumbers, either that or they are put off by the course fee

The level 2 evening course started tonight only 8 turned up and the tutor says the course may not run unless they can get at least 2 more, so same as the level 3, a few years ago you'd have struggled to get on the course, now seems like not many interested in being plumbers, either that or they are put off by the course fee
Or because people are starting to finally realise that the 6035 is not recognised in industry & will not get you a job as a plumber.

How you can do a Level 3 course without having any site experience is beyond me.

Sorry Jules, do not want to see any one loosing hours / job but come on how can someone who has never work as a plumber study to Level 3 & truly understand what is going on ???

Or because people are starting to finally realise that the 6035 is not recognised in industry & will not get you a job as a plumber.

How you can do a Level 3 course without having any site experience is beyond me.

Sorry Jules, do not want to see any one loosing hours / job but come on how can someone who has never work as a plumber study to Level 3 & truly understand what is going on ???

Hi there, you are correct in that industry do not recognise the 6035 but this can be used as APL towards the 6189 level 3 NVQ which is recognised. In order to get the NVQ you do indeed have to complete a portfolio of site experience which has to be signed off by a time-served plumber and/or recognised assessor. There are also a couple of extra modules which City and Guilds require you to pass.

Fees are about 1500 for level 2, 3500 for level 3. If you are over 24 you can get a non means-tested loan for level 3 which you pay back in instalments once you start earning 21k. There are probably other grants and loans available.

The 6035 is not the quickest way to train but for those of us who still have to pay the mortgage etc it is a route to retrain, which I have had to do despite 20 years as a mechanical engineer.

I would say the dropout rate is about 50 percent. You have to REALLY love it!

Come on guys, cut us some slack!

Hi chap, if you read past threads on here, you'll see you do not need level 2 to go on and do level 3.
It is at the "colleges discretion" whether or not you can do level 3 off the bat.
Would assume that means: level of experience and the cut of your jib, too...perhaps:)

Yes, sorry you CAN do level 3 at colleges discretion, although they don't always make that clear.

Jules, I too am a mechanical engineer have been for 15 years, I have just started the city & guilds plumbing 6035-2 and have just done my first week of the course, I'm a bit worried after reading many posts about the qualification not being industry recognised although the tutors maintain that it is recognised, I know you have just completed the level 2 and that you are now starting the level 3, can I ask if you managed to find employment within the industry to convert your level 2 over for the full NVQ and if not what are your plans after level 3, do you intend on starting up on your own as surely if the qualifications aren't industry recognised it will be tough finding employment.
Ian our course tutor has mentioned that a few who have done the level 2 and 3 have set up on their own and are doing really well, one of the lads on my course is employed by one of them

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Chris,
As this seems to be the only route into plumbing for a career changer over the apprentice age other than one of those ripoff fast track training courses, could you advise on how I should be looking to progress from here?

Bear in mind that I'm not particularly looking for a job as I have one of those already and it pays well, I aim to become self employed as it's more about working for myself in a trade that I've always had an interest in rather than the money

Hi Chris,
As this seems to be the only route into plumbing for a career changer over the apprentice age other than one of those ripoff fast track training courses, could you advise on how I should be looking to progress from here?

Bear in mind that I'm not particularly looking for a job as I have one of those already and it pays well, I aim to become self employed as it's more about working for myself in a trade that I've always had an interest in rather than the money
I don't know Dazh09, what had you planed to do? you must have though about it, then done some research & investigation before starting the 6035 course. If you don't mind me asking what are you paying for it ?

I had planned on doing the level 2 then doing the BPEC Gas foundation and ACS, I have an uncle who is a gas engineer so can do the onsite with him.
But then I realised I don't want to be a gas engineer, I want to be a gas safe plumber, therefore now I am thinking after I complete the level 2 I should do the level 3 as this covers plumbing in more depth and incorporates gas.
not sure if water regs are included or not, if not the college does it as a seperate course that only takes 1 day, will also do the part p course which takes either 1 day or 1 week.

The level 2 fee is ÂŁ1,125

I think thats mis informed
If you want to eventually be gas safe and havent the 2 you can forget it.

So let me get this straight, you have just spent 1.125K & your not sure precisely what or how you are going to achieve your aims.

You say you want to become a self employed plumber but you do not want to leave your nicely paid, existing job to learn it.

So what do you think is going to happen then? cos you sure as hell aren't going to learn it all in a college. What do you think, you are going to make all those mistakes in people houses and they are going to pay you while you learn by them.
Get real mate !! stop belittling me and the plumbing trade by treating us like some hobby.

I have & will help anyone who is serious but will not be waisting my time. Good Luck

Last edited:
Firstly, I never said that I do not want to leave my job to learn plumbing, I said that I have a job but aim to be self employed.

Secondly, I have a vague idea of how I can achieve where I want to be, and the level 2 6035 is the start of the road for which ever path I take.
If I can find employment in the industry while learning at college then great as I will gain a lot of experience, but if not I will continue to do the courses and go it alone as others have before me and seem to do really well.
I already said that I have an uncle who is a gas engineer who I can work along side and will gain much knowledge on the gas side from.

Thirdly, I can assure you that I am most definitely not treating this as some sort of hobby, this is a massive change for me and having a family to support I will be doing my damnedest to make it work.

I'm not some kid fresh out of secondary school who thinks I'm just going to go to college and muck about, so don't insult my intelligence by claiming that people like myself can't go through college and go on to be successful because I personally know people that have done it.

Firstly, I never said that I do not want to leave my job to learn plumbing, I said that I have a job but aim to be self employed.

Secondly, I have a vague idea of how I can achieve where I want to be, and the level 2 6035 is the start of the road for which ever path I take.
If I can find employment in the industry while learning at college then great as I will gain a lot of experience, but if not I will continue to do the courses and go it alone as others have before me and seem to do really well.
I already said that I have an uncle who is a gas engineer who I can work along side and will gain much knowledge on the gas side from.

Thirdly, I can assure you that I am most definitely not treating this as some sort of hobby, this is a massive change for me and having a family to support I will be doing my damnedest to make it work.

I'm not some kid fresh out of secondary school who thinks I'm just going to go to college and muck about, so don't insult my intelligence by claiming that people like myself can't go through college and go on to be successful because I personally know people that have done it.

Hi there, I couldn't have put it better myself.
Have sent you an email, hope to see you at college!
Julie

So let me get this straight, you have just spent 1.125K & your not sure precisely what or how you are going to achieve your aims.

You say you want to become a self employed plumber but you do not want to leave your nicely paid, existing job to learn it.

So what do you think is going to happen then? cos you sure as hell aren't going to learn it all in a college. What do you think, you are going to make all those mistakes in people houses and they are going to pay you while you learn by them.
Get real mate !! stop belittling me and the plumbing trade by treating us like some hobby.

I have & will help anyone who is serious but will not be waisting my time. Good Luck

I guess the Anger Management course was no good then?

Angry, no just sad, just another one to add to the thousands who thought they could learn plumbing at a training centre & then get a job on the back of it.

and sad that our once proud FE colleges have to offer these courses for the revenue that they bring in, so that they can pay 15-18K for that experienced trades person to pass on all that knowledge,

but hey Jules what would you know about all that !!!!

Yes, sorry you CAN do level 3 at colleges discretion, although they don't always make that clear.
They have to make several considerations though, the handbook states they must either have a level 2 or have the equivalent experience/skills etc. or similar
so direct level 3 for somebody without a level 2 is likely to be rare

Hi All - the level 3 part time course at Oldham College has been cancelled due to tutor longterm illness.

Hi All - the level 3 part time course at Oldham College has been cancelled due to tutor longterm illness.
Probable due to stress, took one look at the pupils realised none had done any actual plumbing & thought sod this for a game of soldiers!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I do not know if it is still the case but you could get an adult appreniceship at many colleges where you could do it as self employed as well as employed .
You do need a mentor if you go the self employed route
This was all financed by the goverment my mate did it despite having a degree and having worked as an engineer he started at level 1 !
They did make him do english and maths basic skills too !
He now has a very good business employing people too so it can be done and at very little cost if you look around .

I will check but yes I am pretty sure that was the one .
Look up adult apprenceships I am sure they still do them .
I know he now emplys the best of his group but he did say it was an experience being at college with a bunch of 19 year olds in level 3 !!!!!!

I have just looked and it seems that from last year you have to get a loan to help pay but then you do not have to pay any back until you earn enough so could still be a good deal compared to the rip of training companies ????
Always made me laugh when I paid for my guys to go on courses it was always me that filled the questionaire in when asked what the main aim of the course was !
To bore the pants off me
Then the next question was what was the hardest part of the course !
Staying awake you idiot .
What part of the course needs improving !
Free **** decent coffee and edible sandwiches

think you need an employer to be an apprentice unless you mean you can dot eh 6189 self employed which is possible but more difficult, time consuming and often expensive
loans only at L3 i think?
No age barrier to apprenticeships, doesnt matter how old you are, the government funding will alter though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oldham College Level 3 Part Time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock