Search the forum,

Discuss Old sod needs advice please on the boiler replacement scheme in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I trust you all had a pleasent break and are now looking forward to a very good year. At least with this prolonged cold snap and the increased use of roof insulation and the monkeys that installed it (job requirments tatoos on forehead and low IQ :mad:) on the last Gov. insulation scheme there should be plenty of work comming along fixing burst pipes etc:D
But my problem /question is , as a Old Sod it would seem that I'm intitled to Government help to replace my old central heating boiler.As far as I can remember ,as with increased age my memory decreases in direct proportion, the boiler is about 10 to 15 years old and is a POTTERTON PRIMA F fan assisted jobby, as we live on the seaward side of a valley in Brighton. I also think it was the 60f but that could be my memory playing tricks the House has 9 rooms in total that are heated including things like a conservetory and down stairs loo just to give you some idea of the heat output required.
NOW the question is I have received a flyer from British Gas who claim to remeburse me about £700 which includes their valuation of several things I actully don't want, If they change the boiler for me and a very helpful young man who is their Household heating Engineer and adviser :rolleyes: Is coming out to give me advice and a price, Now I know that their Quote is going to be off the scale and over inflated, as I had experiance of this when One of the "Engineers" was here to attend to a faulty rad valve( I'm on their old 3 star maintainance plan) and wanted to charge me £230 to fit two thermostatic rad valves. My old trusted plummer and friend of many years is just recovering from pneumonia after 4 weeks in intensive care in hospital and has had to give up the tools, So I am again haveing to stick my toe into the unknown waters.If I decided to go ahead( probably not with BG) there will be a small amount of pipework change as I wish to move the pump form the cupboard beside my bedroom to inside of the outside boiler cupboard. So now the $64,000 question ,Can a independant heating engineer do this work or is it like the insulation grant that had to be done by the Council approved idiots that we had:eek:. Secondly, what would be the cost of a suitable replacment boiler at the moment we have a indirect ( I think it's called) system with ahot water cylinder and expansion and cold water tanks in the loft area.
Sorry to ramble on and on but Thanks for your help, as I really don't want BG invollved if I can help it:eek:
Ps are any of you good people based in the Brighton area;)
oldie.

My understanding from the press coverage is that for a boiler to be eligible for the replacement scheme it has to have a pilot light. I think the Prima is an electronic ignition so will not be eligible.

Yeh oldies,think you will have to get some tattoes done and get up in someones roof to get your £400 :(:D

Have a look at this site and type in your boiler details at the indicated place and it will let you know if your boiler qualifies. A potterton prima 30 for example, is likely to qualify, if so you can then apply on line for a voucher at this site, good luck and avoid BG Boiler Scrappage

Thanks Lad's some very useful information here,
But sorry Puddle I'm not to keen on Tat's myself, I just don't understand self harm , just to get your self noticed. At Roll's we used to call then knuckle scrapers( as they always looked and acted similar to the lower primates):) and I'm just to old/ lazy to even get up into my roof space let alone some other Bu--er's.

Old Plumber
I had a look on the supplied link but my particular boiler is not listed the list the Prima C and D but not the F, So I have used the " Contact Us" option they have provided to ask the Question is the prima F applicable.
The down side is ,of course it takes 5 working Days to provide a answer that's longer that BG takes to fit one:D
So again Thanks to you all for the advice will "post" on how I get on
oldie

Guess what, I had a reply within a day, the down side of the reply was that they just advised to to open the same link as I had informed them didn't have my boiler listed, and they pay these guys money for this kind of answer. BG is coming tomorrow to give me a quote Soooo i've got the smelling salts ready and booked the Ambulance, then when I've recovered I'll contact a real plumber that I know for a proper quote
Oldie

Hi All, [again]
Well that very nice man from BG came round today, his first words as a introduction were I'm paid a salary,and not on commision so I'll get you the best price, but of course ended up asking us to fill in the questionaire BG send out as it can make up to £500 per month differance for him , so no commision ehhhhhhhh :confused: Any way the outcome of his visit to replace our 15 year old boiler with a new BG boiler (gloworm ) , clean, fit magnaclean and new flue was £3,777.92p that of couse included the discount he was giving me of £800 . So I have of course used the correct way of finding a new Plumber (as old plumber has had to give up the tools due to ill health :( ) that is by recommendation of a friend.
He has given me ,as I asked for a ball park figure not to be held to by either party of a more relistic one of 2GRAND Plus vat ,he will be coming round to do a proper quote soon.:DHe has recommended a Vaillant Ecotec Boiler that's spec seems to be the same as the Gloworm. Now as a old Sod in the dark distant days of my yoof i remember Vaillant as makers of parafin stoves very good they were mind you but still parafin stoves:eek: since then I hav'nt heard of them. Now my friends what experiance have you had of these boilers and in your not in favore of them, what manufacture would you recomend . I'm now about to have a very stiff drink to get over the shock of the total cost of BG, £4577.92p of course this dosn't include my very generous discount of £800 :eek: , make you wonder how they manage to make a living dont it and I just love the 92p detail
Thanks again
oldie

Well vaillant are the one of the roll's of boilers
and glowworm can be compared to the primate you mention in the loft :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Puddle,
Your advice is well and truely noted, mind you they were Bl--dy good parafin heaters you could boil a kettle on the top of them in a few minuets.Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh back in the old days no central heating to worry about ( so no gas bills ),Ice on the inside on the windows and the old upright Vaillan to heat the rooms, they were the days :D
Thanks again
oldie

Have been reading about this gadget Magnaclean on other threads and the BG Nice Man kept going on about how wonderful it was, the next best thing to sliced bread , how it magnetically cleaned all of the nasty Black sludge from the system etc etc and this has just prompted me to ask the question.
First of all admitting I'm a cynical old sod,and remembering the old fable of the Kings New clothes. I was informed years ago that the black sludge found in the Rads was the result of interaction between oxigen deficiant water and the Iron in the rads resulting in deposits of iron sulfite, the nasty black stuff the BG Nice Man was on about .Now remembering from my Science lessons all those years ago, so all was not wasted:eek: Iron sulfide is not magnetic I have also just checked on google and for once I'm correct. So is this just another way to increase BG profits and is just as effective as Snake oil and standing naked at the cross roads at midnight. or am I still back in the age of the dinsaurs
oldie

Last edited:
Oldie

The black sludge is Iron Oxide not Sulphide and is magnetic. I have a Magnaclean fitted and had to clean it every day for a few days then every week now after a few years it’s before and after each heating season.

I like you are a bit sceptical of new fangled ideas but this one works.

Thanks Cds
another old fable put to rest,one day I'll get something right.
Can I be inquisitive, your monicer, I have a Naim hi fi system and their finest cd player was the Cds , I would love to think that you are a fellow Naimie and owned the same player, but that would be a hell of a coincidence
oldie

Sorry to disappoint. I work for my self designing heating and water services the company name is Canning Design Services Ltd so use Cds for forums etc.

Ahhhhhhhh well, it's nice to know that your one of the sensible people I suppose ,and not a Hi Fi idiot like myself spending far too much cash on exspensive ways to play Cd's and Lp's:D
l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old sod needs advice please on the boiler replacement scheme in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock