Search the forum,

Discuss Old leaking coupler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martin461

Hi there,

Please be gentle no idea about plumbing, at the moment I have discovered a leak on what I think is called a coupler, seems to be dry everywhere accept coming down from the coupler in the picture shown. Its the left copper pipe, tried simple tighting it but doesnt seem to go any tighter, justs spins. Any one know if there is an easy fix for this? Or would I have to get a plumber out?

image.jpg

Just spins sounds like a cross thread, but this is not obvious from photo. Hold nut on one side whilst tightening nut on other spinning should stop along with leak. Over tightening should be avoided. Once spinning stops a quarter turn more should suffice. If not call plumber.

Thanks for your response, the plot thinkens, I've turned off the water, undone the left lower nut as this appears to be the problem. Next I'm going to apply some ptfe tape and tighen it all up again. The unit above is a new install and the pipe is now at an angle which i think is what must of been causing the leak, will update if it works, if not will have to get a pimage.jpglumber to replace the lot i guess...

Looking at the angle of the top pipe in your 2nd picture, that really needs sorting, you'll never get it right until the angle is sorted out. It looks like a bathroom basin, are the taps on flexis? A new longer length of copper is probably needed to get that pipe vertical again so that it will form a good seal in the ISO (the fitting you called a coupler). I'd also replace the 15mm ISO as they're not usually very good quality and tend to fail after they've been played with.

Try to lessen the angle . 15mm pipe bends easily. A block of wood to support the pipe 300mm or more above the coupler and moderate pressure should suffice.

Hope that pipe goes inside the isolating valve a half inch? If it doesn't and the olive is on the end of pipe, it is very likely to leak or flood.
I would replace the isolating valves for decent quality valves

Hope that pipe goes inside the isolating valve a half inch? If it doesn't and the olive is on the end of pipe, it is very likely to leak or flood.
I would replace the isolating valves for decent quality valves

Agree. Looking at that picture, my guess is that the pipe does not go in far enough in the valve, so regardless of how well you tighten it, it will not create a proper seal.

Agree. Looking at that picture, my guess is that the pipe does not go in far enough in the valve, so regardless of how well you tighten it, it will not create a proper seal.

Yes, I was thinking why was leaking at that joint, and why is the pipe able to angle so much when nut removed. It risks a full flow flood if it is the case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old leaking coupler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I've had to cut hot and cold feed to re route for bathroom feeds. The 22mm Copper pipe hot feed is slightly smaller then my 22mm Copper. Solder fittings just slip over it and are really loose so I gather this is old imperial pipe, so I shall use a 3/4 to 22mm coupler. However on the...
Replies
Views
Hello. New here. I dont know nothing about boilers or plumbing. Just wondering any idea of cost or what the issue is. 15y old boiler, never had any issues apart from heater exchange smal leak 2y ago, BG changed whole heater exchange and some other small leaks. 2y later, now slow leak at bottom...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and the other seems to be near waste tray, there is a slight hairline crack in shower tray near waste . This happens when I leave the shower head near the...
Replies
Views
Hi I fitted a bath/shower 12 years ago and a few months ago it developed a leak. It was basically at a coupler on 40mm solvent where my new white PVC joined the existing grey PVC. I cut a hole in the ceiling and could also easily view it with the bath panel off but not access it from there...
Replies
Views
Hello, my toilet is leaking please see the attached video and photos, what is the best way to fix this please, it seems that it might be simple but not sure where to start or what to buy, thank you in advance! The old home owner put the putty around the fixing, it’s clearly not doing anything!
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock