Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Tank Gauge Level in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NJ1081

I've just bought a house with an old oil central heating system. The level gauge was hovering over 20 and it goes from 0-200. The tank it a lot bigger than 200 litres so I presumed it held 2000 and the gauge was showing it in 10ths. Within a day of running the central heating. The level went down to 10. If my idea is right, that's 100 litres of oil!!! It's going to be expensive. Is there any chance that it just shows the last 200 litres when the tank it getting low?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

image.jpgimage.jpg

If the gauge is a sight tube then ensure pin is fully pulled out when reading and any crud in tube is not effecting reading. 1000 litres of oil takes up 1cubic metre of space.
Just seen photo ignore above regarding sight tube.
Remove fill cap and dip tank for accurate reading.

Last edited:
When I switched the boiler on it dropped from 20 to 10 over night and then within a few days it had dropped to just above 0

Where would I find the pin? Sorry to sound stupid? I think I'll get it serviced and see whether it's had it and needs to be replaced.

Where about are you roughly speaking, could post here in the sub forum for somebody to come.

It's in my holiday home in France :) Limoges. Not sure there will be many in the area on here hahaha

Dip a stick into the tank to check your levels. Check the oil is not leaking out somewhere also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil Tank Gauge Level in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Hi, we have an oil central heating system with a Worcester boiler. Our radiators were not getting very hot today and on checking the pressure gauge, it was on 0. I topped it up to 1.5 bar and over about 20 minutes it again went down to 0. Ive topped it up several times but it just keeps...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock