Discuss Oil supply not getting to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

p24296

Hi, ran out of heating oil, got tank refilled but no oil seems to be getting through to burner, it fires up for a couple of seconds and cuts out again. Could oil supply be clogged up along pipe somewhere or system need bled?

Thanks

You have an air lock in pipe.
Oil line needs blown out then will run

Hi As Gray has stated. These is likley to be a braided hose connecting the oil line to the pump (if Pressure jet) Undoing the union that connects thye hose will purge air from pipe. (If gravity feed from oil tank?) Once oil is running ok reconnect and fire it up. It may take a couple of lock out before ignition but should do the trick.

Hi As Gray has stated. These is likley to be a braided hose connecting the oil line to the pump (if Pressure jet) Undoing the union that connects thye hose will purge air from pipe. (If gravity feed from oil tank?) Once oil is running ok reconnect and fire it up. It may take a couple of lock out before ignition but should do the trick.

If this does not wort you will phisically have to blow the air lock out

Thank you, will try this at the weekend

Some boilers, (well a lot of boilers actually) - have the ability to be vented at the pump.

The boiler will probably have a small hexagonal screw that you can undo, while the pump is drawing and it will pull the air through better. (I have to do it my boiler when I forget to have the tank filled). Read the manual regarding this.

If it's not an air lock, which it almost certainly is, it could be the fire valve, or a blocked filter, or a dodgy tiger loop (if fitted).

My guess as everyone elses is airlock. Very easy to solve.

Last edited:
Dont keep resetting after lock out ..... you risk damage to the oil pump, only reset 3 times max. then call an oftec reg. technician.

Eco

Use the bleed screw as stated. I would check at the filter by the tank as well (bleed screw - probably no need though). Have a roll of kitchen paper handy underneath you container to catch any flow, Heating oil stinks and the smell lingers.

... then use the kitchen roll for a firelighter ...

... unless you want a smoke ...

I'm having this problem also only no oil is dripping out when I unscrew the nut ?

I'm having this problem also only no oil is dripping out when I unscrew the nut ?

Did you run out of oil & get a refill? If so then you probably have an air lock in oil pipe from tank.
Use an old rag & a small plastic container to catch any oil & wear gloves etc if bleeding oil pump.

Last edited:
Yes it ran out and I filled up again, yes I have tried to do this however when usually the oil would drop out nothing at all is coming out from the nut

Your boiler & it's oil line & filters should be serviced every year to make sure the oil line is not blocked.
Hopefully yours is okay. A bit risky to remove the nut & it's washer completely. Alright if you have a handy valve to turn off quickly or someone at the oil tank valve.

Last edited:
I have no idea it's student accommodation and landlord refuses to pay out. I have no idea what the valves are, I found out how to bleed it from the nut online

I have no idea it's student accommodation and landlord refuses to pay out. I have no idea what the valves are, I found out how to bleed it from the nut online

Often there isn't a manual valve fitted at the boiler, sadly. Just don't want you flooding the place with oil if you lost the nut or something!
If you def had run out of oil, then your landlords won't want to pay obviously, but sometimes burners can fail & people think they are out of oil, but it is something broken with the burner.
Running out of oil can finish off a worn oil pump when the air gets in it & so you have air in oil line PLUS a broken pump.
You may have to pay landlord for a oil engineer to come out & sort it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil supply not getting to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back