Search the forum,

Discuss Oil heating issues? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

1manonthebog

I'm not sure what the issue is here. Recently move home, the house has a condensing oil burner. I have attached the pics, basically there is not really much heat from it for some reason. Its slow to heat the radiators, and we have had to turn the thermostats inside the house up to 30c+ and even at that it is just OK certainly not roasting.

That dial on the burner you can see although the markings are large there is any movement in that wheel, it certainly doesn't move the length of the dial, may be only a quarter off it. What should that be set at exactly? It did seem to be about half way.

Any ideas with all this?

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 45
best to get an oftec (oil eng) to service and show you how the system works

Hello. That seems to be a Grant oil boiler, possibly the Vortex.
The knob for the stat is made with limiters in it to prevent it being too high. It is normal for the knob to just turn about 20mm approx. Think the highest setting is 75 degrees which is usually more than high enough. Most of time boiler should be 70 max. Just turn it to middle roughly if adequate for weather. If your rads get hot reasonably fast all over, then they are undersized if rooms not warm enough.
Get that boiler serviced as it is essential to keep it right & clean. It looks poor install to be honest. Tiger loop should not be internal. Needs an internal type - Bio model strictly
Post your area if you want some of the oil guys to look at it

Last edited:
A service would be a good start. this makes sure its doing what it should be, then go from there.

Probably find the tiger loops not required. Find most tiger loops not required. Be interesting to know where tank is in relation to boiler.

A service would be a good start. this makes sure its doing what it should be, then go from there.

Probably find the tiger loops not required. Find most tiger loops not required. Be interesting to know where tank is in relation to boiler.
The Tigerloop (deaereator) is required under MI if the tank outlet is less than 300mm above the burner fuel pump.

cant see the tiger loop being an issue being it is in an external boiler :)

Tiger loop must not be fitted inside any building.
That's the regs as far as I know. Any building means boiler house, garage etc surely, as they vent to atmosphere.
Also that tiger loop looks a bit of a mess

You don't say, well I never, I'll go to the foot of our stairs.

or to 300mm of your stairs

but whilst we are at it, you can use an internal tiger loop inside if you want as they vent to outside :) but the one in the picture is in an external case, so not an issue in my mind as I mentioned before.............

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what the issue is here. Recently move home, the house has a condensing oil burner. I have attached the pics, basically there is not really much heat from it for some reason. Its slow to heat the radiators, and we have had to turn the thermostats inside the house up to 30c+ and even at that it is just OK certainly not roasting.

That dial on the burner you can see although the markings are large there is any movement in that wheel, it certainly doesn't move the length of the dial, may be only a quarter off it. What should that be set at exactly? It did seem to be about half way.

Any ideas with all this?

all sound advise above i wouldnt put the filling loop inside because its plastic and in the event of a fire it could go up and dump oil into the fire . while we are on the subject cant see any fire valve or phile but they could be somewhere else along with filter and stop tap on the oil line for servicing. on the subject of servicing the flexi burner hoses look like they have been there a while might want to get those changed but thats only from the pics, they might be fine and will have been changed in the last year. it looks like a heat only so i am assuming you have a cylinder indoors put up some pics of the cylinder and pipe work . if the return from the cylinder doesnt have a gate valve that might be a problem if you have a large house long pipe runs and so on . the boilers them selves are usually quite good it has the same burner as all the other top end boilers.

Ok to update this, I got the burner serviced. The guy said it was serviced not long ago so all he did was clean some parts out with a wire brush and replaced some fuses I thing they were. It runs quieter now but still not heating any quicker or giving of any big heat.

Ok to update this, I got the burner serviced. The guy said it was serviced not long ago so all he did was clean some parts out with a wire brush and replaced some fuses I thing they were. It runs quieter now but still not heating any quicker or giving of any big heat.

it is'nt cold out there so not an issue. need to define big heat, have you moved from a modern box to an old pile, if thats the case you will never get the place as hot due to various factors.

it is'nt cold out there so not an issue. need to define big heat, have you moved from a modern box to an old pile, if thats the case you will never get the place as hot due to various factors.

Both houses are in the same estate so build same time. This house however has 5 bedroom the other house only had 3. This house had some insulation work done under some government scheme so the attic has what looks like nearly a foot on insulation. The old house also had a regular bog standard burner, this has a condensing burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil heating issues? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've a client with a rusty 20yr+ old Certikin 180 (44kw) oil pool boiler that needs changing. Certikins replacement looks like it is the exact same boiler. It has a riello r40 burner and non condensing 85% efficient boiler... Oftec say it wouldn't be compliant and would have to contact Building...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Hi. Currently experiencing an issue with our oil fired central heating system. When CH/HW is switched on, the central heating does not always work - the hot water does however without fail. We had the timer set to come on last night but alas, only the H/W came on. After a couple of hours of...
Replies
Views
Hello! Im Martyn Im new here and have joined for some advice on a couple of things. Ive got an issue with a Mira mixer shower that has increasingly become harder to operate. The shower was installed before I moved into the house. Basically what happens is that I turn the shower on so there's...
Replies
Views
I have recently bought my own house and decided to redo the kitchen. There was a radiator in the room already but I wanted to move it. I extended the pipes (8mm microbore) and plumbed in the new radiator. I opened the isolation valves and filled up the radiator with no issues. I've bled every...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock