Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Oil central heating system in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. baz wheater

baz wheater New Member

Hello,
    I have found that the oil filter has separated (bottom bowl from main part) the inside of the main casing where the bolt attaches too has broken off.
    And am wondering what the causes of this would be. I have been told that it may be due to over tightening or that it may be related to a pressure build up in the system.
    It is a sealed system if that helps.
    Thanks

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Depends on age and location, guessing it's outside open to the rain.

3. baz wheater

baz wheater New Member

Hello mate, no its an inside installation and the filter looked in pretty good shape apart from where it had broken.

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Might be a long shot but it hasn't been kicked or wacked with a mop ?

5. Harvey14

Harvey14 New Member

Must of been some force to get the bottom part off doubt it would be because of pressure but more to overtightening and bolt inside has sheared

6. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Sealed system is only the water side of your heating - pipes, rads and boiler. The oil side is only feeding the burner with fuel and is only under gravity pressure.
    A photo of filter would help.
    The fact that the internal part has broke off suggests it was over tightened or the filter has been knocked, but less likely.
    Water in the oil can corrode filters and rust the bolt, but that would be obvious.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a faulty filter, as the cheap filters are tat.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Gazzt

Gazzt Active Member

If its an all aluminium cast filter which are cheap. The threads inside corrode over time because steel into aluminium does not go well, or over tightening or been tightened on the wrong thread.
    I have noticed on cheap filters before installation i opened up a few and found metal swarf which is not good for the pump. Best getting it replaced with a good quality filterlike crossland.

• Agree Agree x 1