Discuss oil boiler training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markd

Hi
I have been trying to get some information on getting some full time training to become a domestic oil boiler servicing / install qualified i have been told that you can be qualified with out being oftec how does this work do i need to get any jobs signed off by a oftec engineer ? what training do i need to be oftec or just qualified ?
please i am only interested in helpful replies

Thanks

Markd

You don't need training to do the oftec courses, but if you have very little knowledge of oil boilers & heating systems, you may be better to get as much info first. To service oli boilers is the 101 course but the 105 is needed for install & is more to do about heating systems. There's also a 106 for oil tanks.
Try the boiler manufacturers courses which people say are good & go & work with an oil guy for some experience. Oftec will not teach you much.

Hi

Best

And thank you for your reply back and that sounds a well worth idea with the boiler manufactures ( thanks again for that ) so once i have gained more knowledge possibly if i got part time / full time work with an oil engineer i would then take the oftec 101 would cover me for servicing would i then need to register for the 5 year or can servicing be done with out ( i ask as i have heard a lot of plumbers talk say that oftec is just an expensive out lay ?

Cheer`s

Markd

Think it is just an expensive outlay! You are supposed to register also, so that's more money! If you worked for a firm, the firm just has to register once, for all it's workers. Commissioning a new boiler would, I think, require you to be qualified & registered. Don't worry too much about the difficulty of the 101 course, as it is fairly basic, but you really should try to be familiar with the basics of an oil boiler & combustion setting it, ventilation required, fire valves positioning, etc. Oftec books are available, if dear.

Last edited:
Hi
Best
I was told when i inquired that oftec is Not a legal requirement to work on oil boilers you just need to be competent. You can get a pad of certificates for servicing/commissioning that say non Oftec registered engineer on them after being told this i was just trying to get the correct facts
Cheer`s

Markd

Yes, I think oftec is just one of the ways to be deemed to be "competent".
There were other threads on this forum about oftec & other means of qualifying for oil. Some of the oil guys will know this, - I only know of oftec.

Oftec is the way to go Fella....

OFTEC CMS

Choose your area for your nearest training provider. If you're over here in the six counties then I'd recommend CCTS in Belfast as would Bestie I'm sure!

Hi
And yes i am the same i have just read so many people say different things and the one that comes up a lot is oftec is very expensive to register with as some people say you don`t need to register but thanks for your advice

Cheer`s

Markd

I've not read in detail everything above so apologies if I'm copying something already said.

Best to find someone who you can help and give you experience. It sort of comes without saying but this is the most difficult aspect of all the trades at the moment. It's a very hard hitting recession and there are plenty of new people on the block who are happy to work for next to nothing (in all the trades).

That's the best way.

Next best on my list would be to do the OFTEC 50. This is an introduction to oil and lasts about a week. I trained at Aga and they refused to take me on for the 101, 105, etc unless I'd done the 50 first and then gone and serviced at least two boilers.

I was lucky to have met a more experienced plumber soon after I qualified and he taught me all he knew (took about 35 seconds ...) I managed to get us the jobs and he helped me along the way only too happy to have the extra work.

Hope this helps!

There are quite a few posts on this, You do not have to be Oftec registered but you have to belong to a competent persons scheme of which there are several, there are a few cheaper than oftec. If you dont belong to a competent persons scheme you have to get your work signed off by building control and you would use the orange cd10 if its an installation. Only someone who is qualified to commission a boiler can commission it so really if you are not a member of a competent persons scheme legally you can only install if its signed off by building control. You may have problems getting a oftec engineer to commission your boiler.

Personally I hope oftec get the powers of enforcement gassafe have. There may not be the explosive element granted but people can and have died through poorly fitted and maintained boilers plus there's far more impact on the environment when an oil installation goes wrong.

I quite agree, Croppie!!

Makes a mockery of the registration fees and process we have to go through that anyone's allowed to do oil (competent or not).

I'm not trying to pretend I'm brilliant (I'm not and will be posting a question tomorrow) but at least I know most of the standards and safety issues required and, more importantly, try to abide by these rules too.

Another thing I'd like to see is the delivery drivers having the oil tank qualification and the powers to notify dangerous looking oil tanks (with a comeback on the delivery company in the event of a fuel spillage due to a collapsed tank). That though, is a totally separate topic and nothing to do with squirrels or oil boiler training.

Oops!

Sorry Mark - getting carried away!!

Hi
And thanks for your advice i will now look to getting my knowledge built up hopefully with a oil engineer can anybody advice on training books would oftec be best ?

Cheer`s

Markd

You'll be forced to spend the £150 odd on the OFTEC books - they won't even consider anything else so I wouldn't bother with any advance copies.

Hi
And thanks so if i bought the oftec books they would not except that ( incase i buy second hand if thats the case then some of the things i have read are a little true with regards to the cost of oftec )

Thanks

The books when you attend the course will be the updated books. Updates occur from every few weeks to every few months and they won't be pleased if you turn up with 2nd hand books - they'll make you buy a new set.

Likewise, the books I have are out of date and I'm expected to make myself aware of all the new stuff that's gone on since my course. At my renewal I'll have to buy another set of books.

Yes - it's a money making machine!

Once you have the books and register you get the updates off the website.

I know about this, and I think it's stupid. Who can be bothered to update their books every few weeks? What on earth is so important that if you don't update the book, they'll make you buy a brand new one (and they're not cheap at all)?

The basics shouldn't change that often, and it's the basics that are most important.

I think if we're paying them good money, they should post us the updates, and that way all we have to do is open the book and clip it in.

My books are about a month old. They're probably now out of date right?

We run oftec courses once a month in cambs area
Have this question come up all the time about the cost of oftec books. I have seen them from £120-150( our mark up is only covers the postage, oftec don't give the centres much discount), oftecs comments on the costs are: It is cheaper to purchase the set of books than to purchase all the British standards that an oil installer is supposed to have and to work to. Don't forget in oil installation manufactures instructions don't take president as they do in gas work. Oil installers must work to buildings regs and British standards. If god forbid anything happened that caused death or injury to anyone, the hse will want to see what documentation you where working to. So I am afraid the books are the best way to cover yourself even if you decide not to register with oftec.

I don't blame the training centres. I was totally satisfied with the training, I just think OFTEC need to stop squeezing people so much.

I felt ripped off, being forced to purchase a 'warranty insurance' which basically means if my work isn't to the current building regulations, and I then fold the business, the customer can claim from the insurance to get it put right.

I think they're missing the point, I've spent a fortune on training, and registration, I have £10million quid of public liability insurance, as well as employers insurance. Don't think I'll be sticking crap installs in.

That will be the domain of the cowboys, who don't generally have warranty insurance, or public liability insurance, or pay tax, or give a damn when it all goes wrong. So what's the point, other than to drip away at decent tradesmen. It really pees me off, and I've generally accepted that running a proper business means everyone wants a slice of the pie.

I'm not renewing. I'll probably go on a course or two for a refresher, but the oftec subscription is just greed money for some bigwig's salaries at the top of the tree.

I've learned in the last year or so that you don't have to be qualified for servicing or installation as long as you stick to the rules and have someone sign it off for you (if required), so what's the point in the subscription?

IMHO.

I'm not a negative person by nature, but I wish they'd grow some teeth.

Maybe try to lobby for it to be made mandatory for someone to be registered.....but then not put all the prices up. That's a big ask!

I'm not renewing. I'll probably go on a course or two for a refresher, but the oftec subscription is just greed money for some bigwig's salaries at the top of the tree.

I've learned in the last year or so that you don't have to be qualified for servicing or installation as long as you stick to the rules and have someone sign it off for you (if required), so what's the point in the subscription?

IMHO.

I'm afraid I agree with you. Shame really.

It's a big shame. They were talking about compulsory registration years ago. (Ditto for wet plumbing.)

Just talk though. Probably to encourage us to take more exams and, therefore, pay them more money.

I don't blame the training centres. I was totally satisfied with the training, I just think OFTEC need to stop squeezing people so much.

I felt ripped off, being forced to purchase a 'warranty insurance' which basically means if my work isn't to the current building regulations, and I then fold the business, the customer can claim from the insurance to get it put right.

I think they're missing the point, I've spent a fortune on training, and registration, I have £10million quid of public liability insurance, as well as employers insurance. Don't think I'll be sticking crap installs in.

That will be the domain of the cowboys, who don't generally have warranty insurance, or public liability insurance, or pay tax, or give a damn when it all goes wrong. So what's the point, other than to drip away at decent tradesmen. It really pees me off, and I've generally accepted that running a proper business means everyone wants a slice of the pie.

totally agree after all I feel I install and work to the standards laid down, hold liability insurance and sign off the work as required. Building regs also sign off work and if they get it wrong they arent liable. I have yet to pay any warrantee insurance and wont be doing so its another rip off, they are chasing the wrong people

As I understand it to get OFTEC (oil work) the same level of respect given to gas via legislation / laws etc costs a lot of money lobbying and educating the governments (Ireland and UK).

Any profits made from the books and membership fees are needed to run the organisation to represent us as best they can similar to the trade union (or what they are supposed to do) except the self employed do not qualify as Union members having failed the Brotherhood by going all Capitalist.

Of course I would like to see more results starting with oil companies filling doubtful tanks, I would also like to see the sale of single skin oil tanks banned and more information made available to the consumers about the risks they run using unregistered parties to carry out oil work in a similar way to RGII and Gas Safe, advertising on such a level costs a lot of money which can only be raised by our contributions.

I'm staying with OFTEC for at least another year eagerly watching for progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oil boiler training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back