Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Boiler Replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have received a reply from grant

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your email.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grant Ireland distribute boilers into Northern Ireland. There are slight differences between the Irish boilers and our UK range but Grant UK would not be able to warranty any boilers brought in from Ireland.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
So it would seem that the boilers bought in Northern Ireland are supplied by grant in southern ireland and not from grant uk. It seems there is a difference between irish boilers and uk boilers has anyone any idea what that is.
[/FONT]

I know a lad who about ten years ago would take land rover and trailer over to ireland and buy boilers and oil tanks at cheaper prices and bring them back over to england and install. He stopped doing this due to changes in regulations (not sure what) and manufacturer not honouring warranty.

Thanks, Kim. Maybe the only real difference is the price. Wonder how Grant, or any company could legally get away with not giving a warranty just
on their boilers bought in one part of the UK.
Perhaps they can bend the rules to discriminate against mainland UK, but can't see how they could refuse to offer a warranty if anyone bought a boiler from here in NI.
This must be almost unique & I think Grant would have to honour the warranty somehow. Must check in Grant documents supplied with their boilers to try to find where they state that the warranty for a UK boiler from here will have no warranty in rest of UK.
Any of you guys have a legal background that could comment?
Thought maybe loads solicitors, lawyers etc may have done plumbing courses as you can make 70k as a plumber apparently! :grin:

I have checked the warranty on uk boilers it does stipulate it covers warranty on boilers installed in uk mainland and isles of scily and other places some of which there may be special arrangements, I wonder what the irish warranty says probably only those installed in ireland. The trouble is it would be cheaper to get the boiler repaired than take on a big company.

I have had customers in the past whos heat exchanger sprang a leak after 4yrs and the companys make it so akward to try and claim the warranty that the customer ends up buying a replacement water jacket at trade price (as a concession) minus the burner.

As I understand the trading standard laws in uk if there is a problem with the item you bought you have to go to the supplier which in our case is usually the plumber, he should then arrange for it to be fixed because the contract is with him and not the manufacturer, the plumber then has to go to the manufacturer to get it sorted in practice the manufacturer gets it sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked some of the paperwork that Grant supplied with one of their Vortex boilers bought here in N. Ireland & it clearly says it is Grant (UK) Limited, Wiltshire, & gives the fax & phone numbers!!!
So no problem if it had been taken to rest of UK & installed. It is also, obviously identical boiler, as it gives all detail.
Will check other boilers paperwork.

Seems grant uk are trying to protect their retailers......but i'm sure its probably illegal.......we all no grant have no manufacturing facility in the uk.... so all the boilers are manufactured to the same spec one would think.....just a different price tag/mark up...... and if bought in belfast and fitted in essex....surely no different than buying in herts and fitting in essex..... all uk!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil Boiler Replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock