Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Boiler Replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcniven

Alright team,

I received a call today from a woman who was enquiring about a boiler change for her father, which is an oil fired boiler.

This is an area we do not deal with, however, I wanted to give this woman some advice, and to help her slightly.

She was quoted £2300 + VAT for the boiler change. Is this expensive for oil? What is the main difference from boilers other than fuel ??

Someone just point me in the direction, is it normal boilers, except oil fired?

Thanks.

That is not far off to be honest, it does depend on what boiler it is and what they are going to do for their money?
BG would probably quote a lot more than that for a cheap gas boiler.

Is it a combi, floor mounted or wall mounted, inside or outside and make, some installers can offer a 5 yr warranty free. The price is not bad either way, the vat kills it.

It depends in size a good boiler will be approx £1000 then flu then fitting and also depends what the system is like what work is needed so without actually seeing what's entailed in it hard to say but I'd say not far off the mark vat included
and I'm presuming it's a system boiler

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't like to pay £2760 for just an oil boiler replacement on a modest sized house to be honest, but materials can add up on some jobs. If only a low level balanced flue needed, then big saving. As Gray says, the boiler can be £1000, so a simple job - like a garage install, may need 2.5m flue ( stainless steel or balanced ) from £200 - £300 & pump, bypass valve if not system boiler, & fire valve + any controls for house.
Also, power flush + inhibitor obviously. Would be possible on the odd rare job that is up to spec, to change boiler for less than £2000.

Last edited:
Grant 15/26 system boiler discounted price on the net at £1366 inc vat plus the cost of a flue, so I dont know where you get boilers for that price, are they cheaper in ireland Best.

Your looking on net prices we use suppliers get a better discount

Grant 15/26 system boiler discounted price on the net at £1366 inc vat plus the cost of a flue, so I dont know where you get boilers for that price, are they cheaper in ireland Best.

Yes, the oil boilers over here in Northern Ireland tend to be cheaper even though we are UK. Probably due to the competition here ( Warmflow & Turco here & Grant etc Irish Republic ) & also we were, & still are a large oil using community here as natural gas is still fairly recent & a lot of homes are in country.

Last edited:
I use city plumbing and the prices I get are the same as what most other peole get which is about %50 off retail prices.

My last grant outdoor system boiler !5/26 cost me 1826.40 which included vat and 50per cent discount from a local plumbers merchant.

My last grant outdoor system boiler !5/26 cost me 1826.40 which included vat and 50per cent discount from a local plumbers merchant.

Then it would be cheaper for you to get ferry over and bye here that's a rip off

I do agree with you gray but the warranty will not be honored by grant uk as they are a different companys. I could always have a couple of days salmon fishing to make it worthwhile.

Not sure if Grant UK could legally object to a new Grant boiler being bought in one part of UK & moved & fitted in another. Say I bought a Grant boiler in Glasgow because it was much cheaper, drove to Newcastle & fitted it, think that's still ok, so whats the difference then if I bought it in, say, Belfast & went on ferry to mainland & fitted it?
Different if it had been bought in Irish Republic, which is not UK.

I agree Gary but the customer would have to ring Ireland and by the time an engineer is sent or even parts sent it could be days.

I have not read all the posts but grant oil boilers are the bees nuts
Very well built

I agree Gary but the customer would have to ring Ireland and by the time an engineer is sent or even parts sent it could be days.

Why ring Ireland as best had already said
Northern Ireland is the uk

I don't think grant or warmflow will honour the warranty of a boiler purchased in ireland and installed in uk. Otherwise we'd be taking it in turns to come across and get em :)

I have been surprised just lately that oil boiler prices have gone down recently. As much as a couple hundred.

How can they legally not cover as you can get a boiler anywhere in UK and fit in UK as northern Ireland is
That's like saying I got a boiler from Manchester but it got fitted in London and there warranty not covering that

I don't think grant or warmflow will honour the warranty of a boiler purchased in ireland and installed in uk. Otherwise we'd be taking it in turns to come across and get em :)
Nothing to stop you coming over here & lifting 10 boilers in a van & taking them over on ferry.
I have been reliably told by several people, that some have been doing exactly that & going back over to Scotland.
Grant have local service guys here in N.Ireland ( i.e. UK guys ) & Grant may sort of run it from southern
Ireland ( not sure ) but that still makes here a UK area
& UK boiler.
Last price I got for a Grant Vortex 15-26 kw indoor model ( not system ) was about £1000 including vat.

Last edited:
Can't see the warranty being an issue...as we are all eu now anyway....and the grant lads here in the republic are dead sound....boilers in the uk are made here in ireland anyway so no argument there.....we buy lots of stuff in the uk and never have had issues.....but 1800 pounds for a vortex seems high....bout 1200 euro's here.... do a changeover here for 1875 euro upwards....

The problem is Grant uk and grant ireland are two different companies, I did a course about 10yrs ago with grant and they told me if I went to a boiler that was purchased in ireland you have to ring ireland to get it sorted its like buying a sony tv from comet and claiming for the warranty work with currys, same tv different companies that bought it. I may email grant in ireland to see what they say but Grant uk was as I said.

You have misunderstood my posy gray, as you say they are all made in ireland but there are 2 different companies selling them, if there is an issue with an item with regard to warranty whether it be a boiler or a pair of shoes the first place to go to get it sorted is the company you bought it from not the manufacturer, its in the sale of goods act.

You have misunderstood my posy gray, as you say they are all made in ireland but there are 2 different companies selling them, if there is an issue with an item with regard to warranty whether it be a boiler or a pair of shoes the first place to go to get it sorted is the company you bought it from not the manufacturer, its in the sale of goods act.

Well I think your wrong sold in IRELAND then yes Irish company Irish warranty
Sold in NORTHERN IRELAND then under uk warranty

Well if you buy it in northern ireland is it bought from grant uk in devizes or grant ireland. If you buy a boiler in northern ireland from grant uk then you are right, if you buy it in northern ireland from grant ireland then the warranty is claimed from grant ireland.
Grant uk will have sewn up all the loopholes to stop cut price boilers being bought in ireland and people claiming off them in devizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as you can't bye from grant direct you get them from a supplier and as we bye from a uk supplier in the uk I guess we would come under uk warranty as we are in uk
As I have said we are in united kingdom as are you lol

I have been surprised just lately that oil boiler prices have gone down recently. As much as a couple hundred.

That's good news ... more profit cos my prices aren't going down to match!!

Well if you buy it in northern ireland is it bought from grant uk in devizes or grant ireland. If you buy a boiler in northern ireland from grant uk then you are right, if you buy it in northern ireland from grant ireland then the warranty is claimed from grant ireland.
Grant uk will have sewn up all the loopholes to stop cut price boilers being bought in ireland and people claiming off them in devizes.

We are both presuming we both right if you want them cheaper e mail and ask them there policy

I will email grant uk and see what they say I will let you know what they say but I suspect they will say what they told me 10yrs ago, I have no reasin to believe their policy has changed but we will see.

If i buy a bmw from a uk dealer.....i bring the car to ireland i go to bmw ireland with a warranty claim they don't tell me take it back to the dealer where you bought it(even though they might like to) they have to deal with it wheter they like it or not....and this is under eu law and i'm sure grant are governed by the same policies even tho they may tell you otherwise....think its more of a citizens advice/trading standards issue.....and i bet if you pushed grant uk about it they would soon change their tune, one thing i'll bet if you had a warranty claim it won't be a grant teckie from ireland coming out to you....

An interesting thread that stimulates the grey matter it would be interesting to get a definitive answer and also why can you get the boiler cheaper in northern ireland which is in the uk. Would the suppliers sell to mainland uk for the same price or are there certain fees added like shipping charges etc. Some years ago it was cheaper to import a british car from say germany than it was to buy in this country, they closed that loophole eventually by slapping all sorts of fees to import it so it ended up not being cheaper.

With a lot of homes here in N. Ireland using oil & a few fairly local big oil boiler manufacturers like Warmflow & Grant, prices seem to be competitive.
Worcester Bosch had, perhaps very wisely, made standard eff utility boilers (when they were still ok to use) that were for N.Ireland, that were priced to match or beat local or other makes. Very good they are, for the money.

£2,500 sounds reasonable. Don't forget it's not just a case of ripping out the old and whacking a new one in - the system needs to be flushed, controls updated to comply with building regs (and for efficiency) plus making good. Also if you're not really prepared spending money on improve the efficiency of the system, there's not much point in changing the boiler in the first place.

You may get it a bit cheaper if you buy a cheapo boiler like a Warmflow as opposed to a more expensive one like a Grant or a Trianco, but its false economy as you do get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil Boiler Replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock