Search the forum,

Discuss oil boiler and log burner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

been to amtes today he just bought an old farm cottage ,i went to change bathroom but was amazed at the heating .the system is a worcester oil boiler with a y plan .the boiler works fine heating the hw and rads - what puzzled me was the log burner with its flow and rtn still connected , i thought they must just still terminate over old tank - out of curiosity i opened drain off on pipe to log burner and the water flow did not stop and the htg cistern started to fill ? i then lite the log burner to find the rads heating and the cylinder. what they have done is a standart y plan for the oil boiler then tapped the log burner flow and rtn into the rad flowbefore the 1st rad and the rtn after the last rad thus the rads get hot when the log burner is on. i would have not thought this was a good way to do it as if the log burner and boiler were on the uncontrolled heat from the log burner could trip the boiler oh stat.

ant

Its amazing what you come across on some of the older (farm) properties.

Would it still be able to get rid of the heat from the wood burner if the power was off? If so its not too much of a problem, the cylinder is not unvented is it?

Would it still be able to get rid of the heat from the wood burner if the power was off? If so its not too much of a problem, the cylinder is not unvented is it?

cylinder is open vented - the flow from log burner tees into the rads pipe just after the 3port mid position valve and the log burner rtn tees into the cylinder rtn at the cyl coile rtn .cistern cold feed is on the cyl side of the 3 port valve just before entering the cyl coil and the vent i assume is on the oil boiler rtn .so there is i suppose a flow for the log burner .my consern is the heat and what damage it could do to the oil boiler if they get a good fire going.
ant

If the wood burner is circulating the rad circuit it is unlikely to get hot enough to trouble the boiler (how many,size rads?). A good way of marrying the solid fuel and boiler is to use an open vented Torrent store this also will give mains pressure hot water.

If the wood burner is circulating the rad circuit it is unlikely to get hot enough to trouble the boiler (how many,size rads?). A good way of marrying the solid fuel and boiler is to use an open vented Torrent store this also will give mains pressure hot water.

8 large rads about 1m x600mm .thats how i would have done it with thermal store or one of those units that sit under the cylinder

ant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oil boiler and log burner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock