Search the forum,

Discuss Oil and Multi fuel Stove Linkup - Part 1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot feed to Heat exchanger is on gravity flow (as is sensor) Cooled water from exchanger returns to gravity return. Difference in temp will increase gravity flow (which would just about stall at 95 degrees) more cooling performed by exchanger the faster gravity flow through exchanger - the faster cooling takes place. When temp goes below 95 in top of gravity flow circuit (hotest part of circuit) the sensor shuts off the valve.

.......so at 95 degrees on one side of the heat exchanger.....you intend to flush the other side with mains water to reduce the temp?

correct?

Yep probably more than you

I thought you were "out" if your going to nothing but critisise why keep posting ? You gave me advise to check out with building control - which I've done - but you can't even wait for the response before you say the system and me are incapable of doing the job !

You havn't even attemped to respond to any of the three questions above - that would be giving advice! so tell me how does a heak leak radiator of 1KW stop the water boiling in a system that is outputing 10KW ?

Last edited by a moderator:
.......so at 95 degrees on one side of the heat exchanger.....you intend to flush the other side with mains water to reduce the temp?

correct?

Yep think he does
So let's sat you cool hex without busting it from the shock of the incoming cold mains
So hex gets cooled
What cools the stove as it is sitting at 95
Fire still lit still producing uncontrolled heat
It starts to boil then flashed to steam as the hex is not dissipating the heat
Increasing its volume by (come on op you should know this one)

I wouldn't like to be to near it myself

I thought you were "out" if your going to nothing but critisise why keep posting ? You gave me advise to check out with building control - which I've done - but you can't even wait for the response before you say the system and me are incapable of doing the job !

You havn't even attemped to respond to any of the three questions above - that would be giving advice! so tell me how does a heak leak radiator of 10KW stop the water boiling in a system that is outputing 10KW ?

Because I don't need to tell you
YOU should already know that answer
Plus it's not 10kw radiator
Check your facts

You havn't even attemped to respond to any of the three questions above - that would be giving advice! so tell me how does a heak leak radiator of 10KW stop the water boiling in a system that is outputing 10KW ?

But yes your correct and it's not criticism just my opinion
I'm out lol

Yep think he does

It starts to boil then flashed to steam as the hex is not dissipating the heat
Increasing its volume by (come on op you should know this one)

I wouldn't like to be to near it myself

ON A VENTED SYSTEM !!!!!!- WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN ! would it be exactly the same that would happen on a system with a heat leak rad when it boils ?

I'm not sure if radically cooling the middle of a gravity circuit will induce circulation at all. You'll have heat at top and bottom and a cool heat exchanger?

Would you not be better off with a coil in the buffer and pass cold water through this?

Thanks you Nostrum - some advice !.

yes i'm considering that as an option, but i prefered the external valve and exchanger for flexibilty - e.g. could change size of tank reasonably cheaply if its too small or too large.
fyi. that method uses exactly the same valves.

As for placement - valve and exchanger could be placed anywhere teed off gravity flow, there is some logic to having it as close to stove as possible and some in having it before tee for store.

I really can't see the hostility to the external approach - the heat exchanger will be subect to the same thermal shock as every other heat exchanger fitted to a thermal store that provides DHW.

I really don't think a cooled heat exchanger 'inline' will offer significant cooling.

When you think the boiler will still be lit, you may just stop gravity circulation dead and cause the stove to boil? I'm not sure if honest but I wouldn't want to try it.

you could still use the valve, but pass it through a coil in the store which would cool the store down rapidly and allow the stove to burn out and dissipate into the store.

the only additional expense would be the additional cost for a store with a coil, but you'd save on a heat exchanger and the potential for it not to work.

Last edited:
The only problem there croppie is that I would struggle to have faith in the people that say they "know what there doing" when they ;

1) cant answer a simple question i.e. how does a 1KW heat leak rad dissapate heat from a 10KW stove
2) Whilst professing how knowlegable they are - are apparently unaware that this system is fitted to off-the-shelf thermal stores - presumably (but i could be wrong) passing all relevant standards inc. building control and WRAS.
3) Appear to think that Danfoss (and other manufacturers) who designed and made these valves specifically for use with heat exchangers for overhead protection on solid fuel heating systems are "silly" and don't know what they are doing.

Would you have faith in that person ? or the system they installed ?

Pray explain to me why we should go through the expense of training, certification and accreditations just so we can entertain your curiosity.

It won't work. It can, but not the way you're proposing.

The advice is get someone in because you haven't a clue and someone will get hurt by it.

only concern i have there is that the coil would be empty (although open to atmosphere) until (if ever) the valve is used, assuming valve pre coil ? If valve was placed after coil it would be unvented.

In your opinion would there be any issues having an empty coil in the tank ? What size of coil would you specify ?

btw I posted a jpg of what your talking about near the beginning of the thread.

Nostrum: finally found the origional plan that set me on this track . Copied from Heatweb site DPS MultiFuel Heat Bank Thermal Store - hope it clarifies what i'm talking about.

Anyway ;
"The following diagram shows a suitable circuit which allows both pumped operation to a thermal store, and also has a gravity circuit that comes into play when the pump is not running. During overheat conditions the TS130 valve opens up to allow the cold mains to flow through the heat exchanger, cooling the circuit and driving gravity circulation. This form of overheat works without power, although power will required to pump water from the store to provide central heating."

overheat.jpg

Attachments

• overheat.jpg
    overheat.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 34
Still waiting for an answer to #16 and #20. Not that it will make a difference.

Posts like this remind me of my kids when they were 2. They would ask a question which I would answer and they would say no it isnt.

Now you either want advice, or you do truly think you have reinvented the wheel and thought that we would be queuing up to pat you you on the back. So either listen to the advice, which does come from a lot of experience or do one.

Could you post the start of your post code?

Just want to make sure I live nowhere near you.

The only problem there croppie is that I would struggle to have faith in the people that say they "know what there doing" when they ;

1) cant answer a simple question i.e. how does a 1KW heat leak rad dissapate heat from a 10KW stove (It doesn't)
2) Whilst professing how knowlegable they are - are apparently unaware that this system is fitted to off-the-shelf thermal stores(aka heatwell, because it is sold doesn't make it legal) - presumably (but i could be wrong) passing all relevant standards inc. building control and WRAS (the part you are on about doesn't as a means of control).
3) Appear to think that Danfoss (and other manufacturers) who designed and made these valves specifically for use (outside the uk) with heat exchangers for overhead protection on solid fuel heating systems are "silly" and don't know what they are doing.

Would you have faith in that person ? or the system they installed ?

Whilst these things may be available and legal elsewhere, they cannot be legally fitted in the UK as a satisfactory means of control.
You will do what you will do anyway as you know best. Don't try to get justification from anyone else and if you cant find someone to fit and sign it off, diy and try to get the paperwork yourself.

This thread is very concerning. For a project of this type, consult a HETAS engineer, it will save loads of grief and will be safe. Solid fuel is an uncontrolled heat source and therefore needs to be separated from the rest of the system, by, as previously said, a thermal store with heat sink radiators.

As stated in the first post the stove heats the buffer / accumulator - which is seperated from the rest of the system by a heat exchanger. With power on heat leak is provided by the pumped CH circuit. Without power 50Kw heat dump activates on overheat. To fit a heat leak rad would mean installing it in an uninsulated attic space, requireing gallons of antifreeze - and as no-one appears willing to admit -it is incapable of preventing an overheat condition at worst case scenario.

opinions that the heat exchanger will suffer thermal shock due to heat of store and incoming cold mains fail to recognise that every thermal store that uses a heat exchanger to provide DHW does the exact same thing in reverse.

As for HETAS engineer thats kind of what i was hoping for on the "oil and solid fuel forum"

As stated in the first post the stove heats the buffer / accumulator - which is seperated from the rest of the system by a heat exchanger. With power on heat leak is provided by the pumped CH circuit. Without power 50Kw heat dump activates on overheat. To fit a heat leak rad would mean installing it in an uninsulated attic space, requireing gallons of antifreeze - and as no-one appears willing to admit -it is incapable of preventing an overheat condition at worst case scenario.

opinions that the heat exchanger will suffer thermal shock due to heat of store and incoming cold mains fail to recognise that every thermal store that uses a heat exchanger to provide DHW does the exact same thing in reverse.

As for HETAS engineer thats kind of what i was hoping for on the "oil and solid fuel forum"

You've missed out areas that we don't even have to think about while designing these systems because its basic to us.
you're just too blinded by your own ideas to listen to reason.

You didn't come here for advice, you came here to have your ego rubbed.

please go ahead and do this.
and come back when you've partially flooded you house and turned it into a sauna too.

p.s you're wrong on the heat exchangers, only a madman or a naive tool would even consider running a heat exchanger with a max of 91 degree difference........

i'm out.

You've missed out areas that we don't even have to think about while designing these systems because its basic to us. Would one of those things you dont have to think about be the ability to read ?

you're just too blinded by your own ideas to listen to reason. NOT MY IDEA ! - it was taken from a thermal store manufacturers web site! - that I linked to! (see below) Think it might be you who is too blinded by his own ideas !

You didn't come here for advice, you came here to have your ego rubbed. Yes my ego has been trulely rubbed - I am so proud of myself for asking advice on a thermal store manufactures system that i cut and pasted into a forum !

p.s you're wrong on the heat exchangers, only a madman or a naive tool would even consider running a heat exchanger with a max of 91 degree difference........ You mean like the ones fitted to every combi boiler sold ? on sealed systems pressurised to 2 bar ? With overheat stats rated at 107 degrees ? Are all designers at Worcester (or pick the manufacturer of choice) madmen and or naive tools ? Or are you speaking out of your discharge pipe !

i'm out. Thank God !

"my" design is on this previous post . . .

Nostrum: finally found the origional plan that set me on this track . Copied from Heatweb site DPS MultiFuel Heat Bank Thermal Store - hope it clarifies what i'm talking about.

Why even bother coming on to this forum, you obviously think you have all the answers and will not be moved from your own idea's, which are frankly floored, but its not going in. Go ahead and do your cheap little install and lets hope you don't kill any of your family in the process. I'm out.

you have all the answers and will not be moved from your own idea's,

Seriously !

NOT MY IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT MY IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!! NOT MY IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!

as far as all the answers - i'm still waiting for a single response explaining how a heat leak rad can prevent boiling !
Only one poster suggests a feasable alternative which i'm looking at - so hardly "will not be moved".

will not be moved based on opinions of people who refuse to justify their answers with nothing more than "we know but were not telling" or "trust me i'm an expert but can't explain what your asking" is more like it !

If youv'e said your piece and don't want to or can't explain then why post in the first place?

If you think the firm that designed this sytem are wrong - explain why - maybe with your expert knowledge you should contact them directly to tell them their systems are dangerous . . ? But no you choose to critisize me, and "my" silly ideas !

If you post that "your out" then stay out ! Why cause all the hastle ?

Seriously !

NOT MY IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT MY IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!! NOT MY IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!

as far as all the answers - i'm still waiting for a single response explaining how a heat leak rad can prevent boiling !
Only one poster suggests a feasable alternative which i'm looking at - so hardly "will not be moved".

will not be moved based on opinions of people who refuse to justify their answers with nothing more than "we know but were not telling" or "trust me i'm an expert but can't explain what your asking" is more like it !

If youv'e said your piece and don't want to or can't explain then why post in the first place?

If you think the firm that designed this sytem are wrong - explain why - maybe with your expert knowledge you should contact them directly to tell them their systems are dangerous . . ? But no you choose to critisize me, and "my" silly ideas !

If you post that "your out" then stay out ! Why cause all the hastle ?

Grow up
No one is going to help you with that attitude
your not listening
What you want to do is against regulations in UK
End of story
Your attitude stinks

The only advice you're getting is get someone in. What you are proposing is dangerous.

You are demonstrating a serious lack of understanding which we cannot help you with and you are now winding members up.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil and Multi fuel Stove Linkup - Part 1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock