Search the forum,

Discuss Oftec/gassafe engineers report in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

deg

My neighbours oil boiler is serviced/maintained by a gas safe engineer, has been for years. Oap neighbour has applied for help to replace the boiler through a scheme here in n.Ireland as the boiler and burner are basically f***ed.
A written report has to be sent to the firm doing the work confirming the boiler is beyond economical repair which he has done but they won't accept the report as the engineer is gas registered not oftec. I thought a companent gas safe engineer would suffice.
Any views on this before he pays another engineer to come out.

Needs to be oftec i am afraid this is the scheme that control oil installations , Gas safe is solely for gas cheers kop.

Just a shame that they would accept a potential newly qualified oftec members report over someone with 20 years experience on boilers.
O well. :cool:

No need to be oftec to service but if the scheme requires it then so be it. Not a lot to complain about.

What sort of replacement boiler scheme is it?
I am here in N.I. and only scheme I know about is if anyone has a gas or oil boiler 15 years or more old, then it would qualify for up to ÂŁ1000 grant, the amount partly depending on the customers earnings, (pension or wages). Less if system not updated if needed.
OFTEC only come into it for the building inspector final inspection, as they need a copy of completion certificate.
As to qualifications over experience, unfortunately you are right, but that's the way the stupid regs work.
Just a word of warning, - new boiler location will need to comply with latest regulations and have remote firevalve, and condense pipe all correct. So can be costly.
Also have to be careful not to get a rip off firm as the small amount of grant will then have been pointless.

Last edited:
some sort of similar scheme running in the south west (Devon/Cornwall) for Oil & LPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oftec/gassafe engineers report in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an update, he like myself was gobsmaked at the level of abuse I got from asking a basic question. Thanks Tom for the DM, I managed to pass in 2019...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer & Vaillant engineer say one thing, whilst the SGN engineer says another. I do not know how to proceed and would value some informed advice. The rock...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock