Search the forum,

Discuss Odd radiator behaviour. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter lives in a small detached house with a gas fired boiler and radiators. The lounge radiator has never been working correctly and hardly gets warm while the others are hot.This week I removed it, took it into the garden and flushed it through with a hosepipe and it took me an hour until the water ran clear and I have never seen so much black sediment in a radiator. I made sure both valves were working before replacing the rad.
Now the rad. gets warm but not hot.
Here are my observations:

The radiator is at the end of the ground floor run.
The pipe up to the TRV gets very hot but beyond the TRV and into the radiator is only warm.
At the other end, the lockshield valve and ongoing pipe is cold.
When the pump stops running, the radiator and pipe up to the TRV go cold very quickly (in minutes) and don't retain any heat at all, as if cold water is entering through the lockshield valve as soon as the pump stops.
This cycle repeats as the heating switches on and off.

All very confusing to me so any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Stuart

You need to get a powerflush carried out....
Cleaning a single radiator out with a hose is pointless..... as soon as you have connected it back onto the system it will just get filled with all the magnitite from the rest of the system.

The pipes to the radiator also needed flushed and system could need balanced.

The pipes to the radiator also needed flushed and system could need balanced.
Yes as best has said it wouldn’t mater if you went round and did all radiators with just the hose as the pipework will also be restricted by the build up of sludge.
And the pressure from mains water from a hose is only half a job if that.
Correct acidic chemicals need to be run through the system at heat to break down the sludge and only the power from a powerflush machine will move the magnitite along.

Fernox F5 is very good at putting the magnetite into suspension.
Use it to instructions for full max period in system.
I think the garden hose method and thoroughly flushing each removed radiator would be a good first clean to remove 90% of sludge, if a bit laborious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Odd radiator behaviour. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator with a more mundane type 22 panel radiator. The problem is that the new radiator sort of worked in the beginning, but it does not emit any heat now...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock