Search the forum,

Discuss nvq2 qualified, but no experience, what to do next in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

demmer

after a long 3years of college im done with my nvq. the only experience i have is in the classroom/workshop.

iv phoned hundreds of plumbers and companys looking for work and small one man band plumbers dont have the money to take on anyone else and large companys are only looking for gas qualified plumbers.

i dont feel that college has given me the real life plumbing knowledge to go out there and take on work as a self employed person so im really looking to work with someone to gain a bit of in the field experience.

what do you suggest my options are, if any?? what to do next?

what were your experience after qualifing?

thanks

You dont have the nvq if you studied at college, You have the 6129 city and guilds. To get the NVQ you need to do onsite work. This is why you are finding it hard. The qualification you have is only the theory side of the NVQ

yep i done the 6129 at college, that was two years. then i did the nvq which was through the same college and this took me another year, and like you say "on site" i gutted my own bathroom and replaced everything. that ticked alot of boxes.

so im sure iv done the nvq2 iv got the certificate.

I don't see how you can have done the level 2 properly and not have been in a real working environment as it requires people to work in real situations on different work sites. Perhaps the college has not done it properly.

Business is quiet at the moment for everyone with not enough work to go round. Nobody I know of is hiring or has any plans to hire in the foreseeable future. Good luck, you'll need it.

Last edited:
So the nvq assessor came to your home and accepted all that work....how much did the assessor charge just by interest and why dodnt you do them together...seems really strange why wait 2 years to complete the 6129 why didnt you do both together if you where working on your own home..

it is true that the NVQ level 2 can be mostly completed with two bathroom installations,
as well decommissioning, 5 various maintenance jobs and evidence of health and safety in place,
this is working on the assumption that the city & guilds was also completed as some elements can be used against the NVQ.
but unless the college was willing to come out and witness every single aspect of the work ( which is very unlikely! ) then surely you would have needed someone to at the very least be willing to check the work you did and sign the portfolio to say the work was to a sufficient standard? Can they not help you now??
But if you have already achieved the level 2 NVQ if no one willing to take you on, could you not start simple and take on a few bathroom jobs, odd small plumbing job here and there, put the word out to family/friends that you are available to do the work.

I feel sorry for you as you are trying to come into the industry at the worst possible time due to the misinformation of many colleges / training centres / government that there is a shortage of plumbers when in fact at the moment the industry is swamped, with many experienced and qualified people unable to find work. All you can do is keep trying firms and if need be do work for friends/ family but beware that if anything goes wrong and you are not insured then people are quick to sue. Sorry to be the voice of doom but as you can see with the number of similar threads on here, its just the way it is.

you only have the technical cert, not the full nvq, you need to be employed and complete 3 cold installations, 3 hot installations, 4 maintenance tasks, and 6 health and safety tasks, takes about 8 month to do but to get the full nvq you need to have 18 month of work based experience...

What area are you in? Maybe someone on the forum could offer you a bit of work experience :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

cheers for all the comments. i am pretty annoyed that i only learnt how overrun we are with plumbers after i done the course, if only i had been on this forum sooner. i have done small jobs here and there but im working full time as i need to pay the bills so getting experience is difficult, thats why iv been trying to get in with a company. im assisting an electrical engineer atm, its good in the sense im learning about electrics but it seem a waste of money and time since iv done the plumbing.

the college has done everything by the book, the guilds have changed things a little, realising that self employed plumbers are trying to get qualifications too. and thats how i was able to do alot of it at home.

im in norfolk if anybody wants to help me out with some experience. i'd work for free on weekends and could take some time off work if i had too.

cheers

Sounds to me like you've done everything you need to for NVQ level 2. Where are you based?

hi howsie, yeah it wasnt hard but it was a lot of work. the paperwork is what took the most time.

im just outside of Norwich, Dereham

you need more than one bathroom for the nvq, you either dont have it or the assessor blagged it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to nvq2 qualified, but no experience, what to do next in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock