Discuss Nvq 2 funding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert_Lloyd

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site & was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I am a trainee plumber who has done the 6129 level 2 cert. I have recently completed some paid work experience with a construction company in Wolverhampton & now feel ready to do my NVQ 2. I've just managed to secure some voluntary work, 2 days a week, which is brillant as it's difficult finding work experience. My problem is that i have to pay for my NVQ. Well this is what i was told at Bilston College in Wolverhampton. I was under the impression that, by law, a level 2 qualification was free to all. The 6129 that i completed was free as i was unemployed but it is not a full level 2 qualification until i do the NVQ side of it. I have explained that i am not in paid work but they say i have to pay whether i'm unemployed or working. Is this correct? Is there anywhere where i can get funding for the course? I'm aslo on the so called government work program who have been completely useless in finding me work. I found my last work experience without their help & secured my cuurent voluntary work without their help. They can't offer any advice on funding, neither can the jobcentre. Ironically, i use to work for the jobcentre before losing my jobs to due to cutbacks. This is why i decided on a career change & have been training to be a plumber ever since. Any advice on the funding issue will be appreciated, thanks. Sorry to waffle on so much.
icon9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If I knew someone who used to work at the jobcentre I'd be asking them :)
There were jobless people on the course I did and I know they got the tech cert side for free. None of them did the NVQ so maybe there is no funding for it.
I was working full time when training so had to pay, maybe get a job to fund your training if you can't get funding. It doesn't have to be in the plumbing industry.

If I knew someone who used to work at the jobcentre I'd be asking them :)
There were jobless people on the course I did and I know they got the tech cert side for free. None of them did the NVQ so maybe there is no funding for it.
I was working full time when training so had to pay, maybe get a job to fund your training if you can't get funding. It doesn't have to be in the plumbing industry.

cheers, i was looking down that route anyway. my voluntary work is only 2 days a week, thurs & fri, so i can do any type of worrk to fit around it. College have also said that i can pay installments but just wanted to double-check if i didn't have to pay. thanks again for your reply, can't wait till i'm qualified.

have you applied to be an apprentice with citb or bconstructive they may fund your training as you ve already got ur own employer and you only need to be working 16 hours

Hi, thanks for that bit of info. I'm familiar with bconstructive, i've been on the website. I'm 46 years old so may be abit old for apprenticeships & getting funding for it but i will look into it,thanks.

If you over 24 you will struggle. there is not funding only some support for youngers. Its very sad that there is no help for older I mean over 24 years old. NVQ is around £1600 last time I was asking, but I give up on doing it, as far as you work in domestic. what about career development loan (Barclays or Coop do them), its still loan but on low interest and you start paying when you get a job. Its a pain to get one but you don't really have many options left. I was trying to get one from Barclay but the process took ages and after 3 months they turned me down saying that my ACS course is not registered in some scheme. I think NVQ should be fine. Good luck mate :) I know how you feel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Nvq 2 funding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock