Search the forum,

Discuss Novice Attempting New Central Heating Install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starkie

Hi all. First time poster and wondering if I could seek some advice.

I’ve just purchased my first property a 3 Bed Semi, in need of renovation. The property currently has Electric storage radiators & a hot water cylinder.

I’m planning on stripping the current system and installing a combi boiler, 1 Radiator per room and heating to 1 shower.

If anybody could provide some advice on the following would be much appreciated:

1. Combi Boiler: Does anyone have any suggestions? Price being the main concern. Will need to heat 9 Radiators, 1 Shower & 2 Sets of Taps.
2. Push Fittings: I’m planning on using push fittings for easy installation. Any advice on this?
3. Gas connection: Any ideas on price for a Gas Safe engineer to install the boiler and connect to my pre-run heating system. Will they have problems doing this?
4. Pressure: Do I need to test pressure in my area to confirm what boiler I would need?
5. Pipe Sizes: What pipe sizes do i need to run in which locations? Main Floor Runs? Run Outs to Rads?

Feeling slightly concerned but with proper planning feel this can be achieved.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

It may seem tempting to do it yourself and save a few quid. However as a fully qualified GSE, my advice would be to get the professionals in. I would be unsure of a few things regarding a full install as its not what I do and i'm qualified!!!!
Also I think you'd be hard pushed to get a GSE to sign off work that he (or she) has not done himself, especially if pipes are to be run under floors etc and can be easily visually inspected.
So I would really just bite the bullit and pay the extra pennies and get it done all above board and LEGALLY!!!

I'd learn how to solder if possible. One way can be to ask the gasman to teach you. It'll take 1-2 hours maximum. (Years ago before I went plumbing I asked my electrician to show me and after 5 minutes I was away!!) There are also tutorials on YouTube.

Re the other questions, I'd get in 3-4 gas installers and ask them for estimates and their views. Go with the one you're happiest with and offer to pay him for some advice on how to plumb the building as you're working on a budget and arrange for him to call by occasionally while you're plumbing so he can be sure it's as he'd like it for the boiler installation.

Possibly a whacky answer but you should find someone happy to work on this basis.

Oh and finally, open a trade account (cash or credit) and get your pipework and radiators etc using it.

Years ago I asked my builder if I could be a labourer on our extension while he told me what to do. He was grateful I asked as he was under so much pressure with other jobs and didn't want to leave me with nothing he jumped at my suggestion. I learned so much on that project too!!

I’ve just purchased my first property a 3 Bed Semi, in need of renovation. The property currently has Electric storage radiators & a hot water cylinder.

I’m planning on stripping the current system and installing a combi boiler, 1 Radiator per room and heating to 1 shower.

If anybody could provide some advice on the following would be much appreciated:

1. Combi Boiler: Does anyone have any suggestions? Price being the main concern. Will need to heat 9 Radiators, 1 Shower & 2 Sets of Taps.
2. Push Fittings: I’m planning on using push fittings for easy installation. Any advice on this?
3. Gas connection: Any ideas on price for a Gas Safe engineer to install the boiler and connect to my pre-run heating system. Will they have problems doing this?
4. Pressure: Do I need to test pressure in my area to confirm what boiler I would need?
5. Pipe Sizes: What pipe sizes do i need to run in which locations? Main Floor Runs? Run Outs to Rads?

1.Main A rated, but Id spend another £300 and get a Viessmann 100 30kw, A Vaillant 831, Broag Remeha. If its just one shower and no bath then you could probably get away with a smaller combi, 24kw.
2. I use speed fit some on here dont like it but I do, use speed fit undr the floors and any surface mounted pipework in copper as plastic once hot expands and will look like 2 wiggly snakes coming down your walls.
3.How long is a piece of string? Ive connected on to DIY heating circs before on the previsio that I do all of the boiler (that includes hanging it) and that any leaks are up to you after that. get a gsr engineer round to make sure that where you want to put the boiler is suitable first.
4.Run a 15 litre bucket under the kitchen tap for a minute to see how many litres a minute youve got at the mains youl need at least 13 litres a minute for the abouve mentioned bigger combis.
5. You could buy a big text book that will help you work this out but failing that rule of thumb no more than 3 rads off 15 mm.
6.Save yourself the next 6 weekends and £x amount of money on petrol and bits youve forgotten to get or dont quite fit correctly or didnt need from B and Q and get A GSR in to do it, I can do one from scratch on my own in 3 days, job done, you spending your precious weekends doing what I can do in 2 days will save you 2 days labour off my bill £400 ish, is it really worth it? its up to you best of luck and if you do go ahead theres allways somone on here to answer any Qs.

dont get a gsr in it will end in tears(or a flood)

In all fairness mate, your best bet is to try getting the materials cheap rather than doing the work yourself, its not like having a go at skimming a wall, you get this wrong and you could potentially kill someone, and although Id say that to protect my livelihood at the same time there's a good reason we undergo as much training and certification as we do.

I'd start by going to your local merchants and see what "scrapped" rads they have kicking about, usually if a radiator comes in with a scratch on the paintwork it gets written off by the manufacturer, the merchant will either send it to the scrap merchants or flog it cheaply. Just pop in and ask a few, they will be any shape and size but Ive had a pallet of hardly damaged rads for £50 cash before. Your more likely to get lucky at Xmas time too as trade counter lads will be looking for some christmas cash.

Boiler wise Id ask a few local installers what they prefer to fit and see what they can do it for, bear in mind the cost of a HE boiler, flue and controls will run easily to £1000 plus the vat and then the labor your not going to get much change out of £1500 at best.

Transco can charge an absolute fortune in connection fees so check that you have access to a gas meter if not you'll be forking out for that too.

Last but not least get British Gas to quote so you can see how much your going to save by getting a good installer to do the job for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Novice Attempting New Central Heating Install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock