Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Not soldering in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Cockhill

Paul Cockhill Member

Hi

Cannot understand why the solder is going into balls and dropping off the pipe. Must be making basic errors but cannot understand what. As the soldering yesterday was fine.

Any ideas

Thanks

2. Rickster123

Rickster123 Guest

Pipes cleaned with wire wool? Properly fluxed up? Water in the pipework?

3. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I'd say most likely water in pipe

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I would say pipe not clean as it's melting and dripping of and not sucking into joint

5. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What sort of pipe are you trying to solder ??

6. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

Overheating can cause this. As other's have said water in the pipe can also cause the opposite issue of not reaching soldering temperature and the solder will bead or run off.

7. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Had a spell of this happening when my flame was too hot, took a while to find the sweet spot with my new torch. The fittings were blacking up before reaching solder temperature.

8. Howsie

Howsie Plumber

Pipe not cleaned or fluxed properly. Overheating burns all the flux off.

9. Paul Cockhill

Paul Cockhill Member

copper pipe

10. Paul Cockhill

Paul Cockhill Member

no water in the pipe

11. Paul Cockhill

Paul Cockhill Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. It is copper pipe and it was cleaned and no water in the pipe, so i guess I have not fluxed enough

12. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

any pics?

13. Howsie

Howsie Plumber

What gas are you using? What size pipe?

14. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Try not to heat the joint too much and keep adding flux on the end of the solder wire.
    When the solder wire just begins to start melting, (touching copper, but not under the flame), you are normally only 2 or 3 seconds from the correct temperature for soldering.
    If the clean pipe and fitting inside and outside hasn't been "tinned" (coated in solder) then it will not solder properly when the flame tarnishes it. That is why you need to keep the surfaces fluxed. Note that capillary action also works well with flux, so don't be afraid to add flux as you solder.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.