Search the forum,

Discuss Non standard drain PLEASE HELP!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dickson89

Can anybody give me a rough guesstimate of how much the following is going to cost. I'm in the process of buying a house however the surveyor has said structurally the building is sound however the drain is non standard basically the waste coming from the house pipe is lower down than the pipe taking it away meaning it's currently blocked and will become very smelly in the summer as the sewage ultimately sits at the bottom until it gets full enough I guess to reach the other pipes height. Is this mega costly as I will definitely be amending my offer.

Unless I am missing something , how does he know ?? Is the drain full now ?

Welcome to the forum. I would say nearly impossible to comment on without eyes on the job. Perhaps get one of our members to take a look [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

In the absence of any mention of a lift pump, I assume your surveyor has noticed, but failed to identify, an inspection chamber with a symphonic outlet. If this is the case, what your surveyor thinks is the outlet from the chamber is actually a rodding eye.
Such systems were installed on 1930s houses and only give problems when the rodding eye plug is missing as this allows the water to bypass the syphon and the syphon becomes full of solids. Plastic plugs are available, Circa £5. to replace the original clay stopper and the syphon can normally be cleared by filling a wheely bin with water and tipping it into the inspection chamber, creating a head of water above the syphon.
Google:- Drainage interceptor trap.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for help! Really appreciated. It was built in the 1930s and from what your saying sounds spot on!

New plastic plug will best be found at Builders Merchant that stock clay pipes, ensure they are aware you require stopper for collar of salt glazed interceptor pipe. Any difficulty, one can be assembled using a McAlpine universal drain connector 110mm, closed with a 110mm socket plug. Tool Station items: 96056 & 50078. Pages 288 & 289 of current catalogue .

Nice answer Joni hadn't even contemplated siphonic. Great advice

ok educate me how is that syponic?It is a rodding eye above an interceptor trap that was use to stop smell and rodent getting from the sewers to the house drainage
If you cant get a stopper for it use an expanding drain plug

Last edited:
I would always recommend that having heating checked by competent engineer is as essential as a surveyor's report.

Syphon is the principle on which the interceptor works. Except with the rodding eye open it doesn't syphon. The more accurate description would be an inverted syphon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Non standard drain PLEASE HELP!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock