Search the forum,

Discuss noisy header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikebalham

i have a large header tank in a loft adjacent a bedroom
the child in the room is being kept awake by the refilling header tank
the ballcock is awkward to access and was origianlly installed when the roof was off.
is there any other replacement device that can be used in place of the ballcock that wont make as much noise or is there a way of dampening the sound of the tank refilling?

It may be that your incoming mains pressure is too high creating this noise when the ball cock valve is opened. Any idea what your incoming mains is at? If high you will need a PRV

no i dont think so - it isnt a strong feed. it is just a very big and deep tank (there is a jacuzzi bath in the system which is why it is so large) so the noise is the water dropping from the ballcock into the big tank. this is the noise i am tryign to eliminate or dampen

Ah, with you now

If there was a ball cock valve with a hose that you could submerge this would cure but I dont know of one and google did not come up with anything. One of the other guys on here may know of one. If all esle fails I can only think to box the tank in and insulate it

surely i cant do this for risk of syphoning occuring/illegal? besides i am not sure there is anything to attach a hose to?

Yes Quite right the hose idea is now a no! no!

I don't really know what would help as the noise is probably not the valve itself, but the water flowing from the valve and hitting the water in the tank. So a silenced valve may not help as it only makes the ball valve quite not the sound of the water hitting the tanks water surface.

There probably is an answer but I can't think of one off hand.

Wait and see if someone else posts.

Do you have by-law 30 kit on the tank? i.e. lid, shielded overflow and vent? I imagine you have.

How about polystyrene panels around tank?

Problem is, the sound usually seems to come from the bottom of the tank then transmits into the base if its wood. The plasterboard ceilings pick it up and they act like a sound amplifier. So if you can't stop the noise closer to the source all you can do is try and muffle it by adding sound proofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to noisy header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock